Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: FMQ after some practice

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Oh I still have a long long way to go but once I practiced some this was my first square I was "ok" with.....

    I learned that the harder and tighter I grabbed the material the more resistence there was and that if I lightened up my grip it flowed better - I had it going well with no puckers until the end....but everyone is right - this is all about practice once you get the machine set up correctly
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member feffertim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Desert Hot Springs Ca
    Posts
    2,522
    Blog Entries
    14
    I would be so happy if I could only this well

  3. #3
    Super Member hperttula123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,439
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Oh I still have a long long way to go but once I practiced some this was my first square I was "ok" with.....

    I learned that the harder and tighter I grabbed the material the more resistence there was and that if I lightened up my grip it flowed better - I had it going well with no puckers until the end....but everyone is right - this is all about practice once you get the machine set up correctly
    Yeah!!! I'm so glad you are trying it. Just don't give up. :) Your doing great.

  4. #4
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,355
    Blog Entries
    2
    Excellent start. Good for you!

  5. #5
    mollys learning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    12
    Thats good. I am also learning FMQ and I do ok till I get poked with a pin and then I end up with a big stitch and blood!

  6. #6
    Super Member JenniePenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,512
    That's exactly what I need to do. Get some muslin and batting and just practice!! I always think I can save the practice and wait until I'm actually quilting. (But then there's wasted time with the seam ripper....)


    You are doing great.

  7. #7
    Super Member sewingsuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,897
    You did great. I get more of those points when i try.

  8. #8
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,141
    I have found it is much easier with my quilting gloves.. I dont " fight " the fabric as much..


    good job.. I still won't show my FMQ efforts...

    still plugging away at it thou!!!

    keep up the good work!

  9. #9
    Super Member Dragonfly Nana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    inland part of Virginia Beach
    Posts
    2,715
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I would be so happy if I could only this well
    You are doing great!

  10. #10
    Super Member Pat P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,218
    Blog Entries
    17
    you go girl!

  11. #11
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,775
    Blog Entries
    4
    wow. if my first efforts were that good!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Fabric Galore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    995
    Blog Entries
    3
    Congraulations on your FMQ. I do great on small pieces and I have taken a couple of classes at my LQS but I can't seem to work on bed size quilts. That is my ultimate goal but I keep practicing on 45" x 45". You have encouraged me to do some more practice. Thank you.

  13. #13
    Super Member LoriEl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Monroe, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Blog Entries
    10
    Gotta start somewhere. I'm far from expert but found that if I go too slow I screw up more. Seems I get a better rhythm if I go faster.

  14. #14
    Super Member Crlyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,813
    Well done, you will have it mastered in no time!

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl
    Gotta start somewhere. I'm far from expert but found that if I go too slow I screw up more. Seems I get a better rhythm if I go faster.
    I was just thinking the same thing - the slower I go the more pointed and "weak" it looks.

    I may have to get some of those gloves - I've now heard from 3 different people that they make a difference....

  16. #16
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    very good...I'll practice more tomorrow..spent one hr today doing continueous circles

  17. #17
    Super Member Mamagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    Quilting gloves. Fast machine speed and slow even movements are the three things that will make a difference. And you don't have to spend a lot... ladies gardening gloves with the pebbled fingers will do to start.

    Hands flat on the fabric and think of it as writing... scribbling curves.

    Before I start and do FMQ I take old newspapers and a marker and I doodle and doodle and doodle... 10 minutes sometimes. It helps to relax me and it also creates what I think is referred to as muscle memory...

  18. #18
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,142
    You've earned yourself a star for today - you've been working hard & it shows. Gloves do make a difference I find - got Fons & Porter with coupon at Joann's for < $3.00.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    in retirement
    Posts
    1,516
    Blog Entries
    3
    Lay your hands, spread eagle, oon top of the fabric,, you will have enough grip to move the fabric, but not be able to grip it tightly. Use the weight of you hands to move the fabric
    One hand left of needle 1 right,, allowing about a 6" spread between your. Hands, that' s enough space to control the motion.
    Great job, keep practicing,, you' ll be a pro before you know it!

  20. #20
    Super Member Kappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,283
    Blog Entries
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I would be so happy if I could only this well
    I was thinking the same thing.

  21. #21
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,297
    I'm still at the scribbling on paper stage (and failing!)...yours is looking good. I must keep practicing!

  22. #22
    Senior Member akgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Seward, Alaska
    Posts
    306
    your stitching looks pretty good. i'm gonna try some sort of 'u' hoop i saw while browsing. wish i had looked at it, at least read the blurb. i haven't the 'touch' for fmq yet, even with gloves. will try finding this hoop again. when you guide this, your hands are in the proper position to guide it. might do for me.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by akgranny
    your stitching looks pretty good. i'm gonna try some sort of 'u' hoop i saw while browsing. wish i had looked at it, at least read the blurb. i haven't the 'touch' for fmq yet, even with gloves. will try finding this hoop again. when you guide this, your hands are in the proper position to guide it. might do for me.
    I saw one of those - octi-hoop or something like that...looks to me like it would be harder...my Mom was laughing at me about all of this - she said she expected nothing less than for me to sit down for 5 or 6 hours and get to where I could at least do a basic pattern and not stop until I got it....she said one time I spent 4 hours on the floor shuffling cards until I got it down and could do it without losing any of them from the deck! Didn't realize I was like that - so I told my husband and he and my kids are all still laughing shaking there heads.

    I think the hardest part is not being scared of it...once I got past being scared of it - it just started flowing....

    Oh and someone posted to use pledge on the deck of your sewing machine - so I did and it really worked moved the material along smooth (plus my machine smells lemony fresh now).

  24. #24
    Super Member terri bb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    2,196
    i just got a machine a month ago that will allow me to quilt, and i have been going crazy with table toppers, etc etc. have done a couple quilts now as well, and yup, practice is what it takes! those gloves....they are a lifesaver!! i fought the fabric it seemed and some of my meandering circles would just whoosh! go fast when the fabric rolled smooth...the gloves make all the difference in the world! the little grippers on them make it much easier to control the fabric and i noticed a difference immediately. i love the idea and thank you very much about doodling for a few minutes before you start; i am making a quilt now for my 'second mom' before surgery and i will try that before i start in on it! you are doing fantastic! and hello from idaho :)

  25. #25
    Super Member Kappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,283
    Blog Entries
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Quote Originally Posted by akgranny
    your stitching looks pretty good. i'm gonna try some sort of 'u' hoop i saw while browsing. wish i had looked at it, at least read the blurb. i haven't the 'touch' for fmq yet, even with gloves. will try finding this hoop again. when you guide this, your hands are in the proper position to guide it. might do for me.
    I saw one of those - octi-hoop or something like that...looks to me like it would be harder...my Mom was laughing at me about all of this - she said she expected nothing less than for me to sit down for 5 or 6 hours and get to where I could at least do a basic pattern and not stop until I got it....she said one time I spent 4 hours on the floor shuffling cards until I got it down and could do it without losing any of them from the deck! Didn't realize I was like that - so I told my husband and he and my kids are all still laughing shaking there heads.

    I think the hardest part is not being scared of it...once I got past being scared of it - it just started flowing....

    Oh and someone posted to use pledge on the deck of your sewing machine - so I did and it really worked moved the material along smooth (plus my machine smells lemony fresh now).
    I'm thinking you MUST ba a "first born"....LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.