Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FMQ Set Up For Less Than $100

FMQ Set Up For Less Than $100

I got this idea from a gal who had posted a FMQ set-up on You Tube she had created to make it easier to FMQ using her domestic machine. I tweeked it a bit and this is what I came up with. Plenty of pictures are included.

I bought a piece of foam plastic board at a width that matched the height of my sewing machine bed. I had a sewing table with an extension and cut the foam board the length and width (plus 5" explanation below) of that table.

I measured the length of the foam board and at the center, I measured in several inches and cut out an insert for my sewing machine. My FMQ machine is a Brother PQ1500. My dealer had a Sweet 16 so I measured the distance between the needle of the Sweet 16 and the edge of the table and that's how many inches I allowed before I cut out the insert for my machine.

My machine has a side loading bobbin so my machine is mounted in the foam board so the bobbin is facing me for easy access.

I then put a vinyl sheet over the foam board, partially cutting out the area around the machine bed and then sliding the vinyl over the machine bed. I cut a circle out where the needle is located. I kept the front piece that I had cut out of the foam board and put it in back in front of the bobbin area.

Now, in that extra 5" I had allowed in the width of the foam board, I dug a hole to insert the machine cords so they are not flopping around on the table.

The quilt on the table is a double size quilt.

I also included a picture of these Schmetz needles that I didn't know existed until recently. They are for high speed sewing and I seem to have less drag when I'm using them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Blog Entries
    Great photos and explanation. thanks, wish I had the room, but my sewing room is tiny.
    Where is the photo of you sewing???? So happy this works for you.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    ​Nice job!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Way to go. No room in my living room for almost any kind of set up. Make do with the table. Maybe someday. What you have looks good. Hope it works well for you. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    What a fantastic set up, you are one LUCKY quilter to have such a great table!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Nice Job!!!! Info and Pictures were great also. I have the same machine. I started quilting---Standing. I have tried seating down. I still perfer standing to quilt. Looks like you have everthing together and it's working for you. Tinker

I'm going to bookmark this for the day I'll get a sewing machine and will have some space! This is ingenious!

That is brilliant! way to go!!!

I have the same machine, and before I got my Gracie frame, I turned the machine 90 degrees like that on a smaller table, then used 2 TV trays on either side to hold the bulk of the quilt. It's easier pushing the fabric forward into the throat than it is with the throat on the right as when sewing regularly. imo

All you need yet are two small tables on each side of you as you sew. It is amazing how much difference they can make. Looks like a promising setup!!!

Great set up!! I have never seen those high speed needles before. Thanks for sharing.
    Alyce

Great set up. If I only had enough room for an additional table I would try to make one. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Great setup and looks very doable..
    Kirsten
    I try and be as good of a human as my dogs think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by TGood View Post
    All you need yet are two small tables on each side of you as you sew. It is amazing how much difference they can make. Looks like a promising setup!!!
    I was just rolling over my extra chairs and putting them on each side but they have been replaced by strong, wooden TV trays.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
    What a fantastic set up, you are one LUCKY quilter to have such a great table!!
    I agree with everyone's comments, the pictures show the whole setup!!! Now I just need someone to do the cutting for me!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Terrific! Looks like you will be playing with this a lot. I bet a lot of people will be copying your design.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Thanks so much for posting this! I got a Brother 1500 last spring and asked whether anyone had set theirs up just like you did!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t244543.html

I'm still thinking about doing this. it. I do like the knee lift, first machine I've had that feature with. But I think the way you've got the machine positioned would make FMQ easier.

You are so clever. Wish I had room for a set up like this.

So are you standing up when you sew? If you are sitting, it looks like you are leaning really far over.

Wow neat. And how many machines have u got. ? Lol what are they?

Great job! Looks like you will have many hours of fun!

What a great setup. Some day...............

Blog Entries
    Very neat set up! Smart!

Your set up looks great.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    What a great set up you have come up with to make machine quilting easier on a dsm! Good thinking on your part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast