Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Folded Star Pot Holders >

Folded Star Pot Holders

Folded Star Pot Holders

Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Great job. They are beautiful. Where did you get the pattern?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 AM

Great idea using the glue, I may have to try that.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Nice job! So, OK, you used glue to hold them together - what is going to happen when they get washed? My Mom made bigger ones years ago and put them in big embroidery hoops and we hung them on the wall - but they never got washed. Just shook them out once in awhile because they did become dusty from hanging on the wall.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Dottymo, I found great advice on YouTube. Two things I learned from different sources. One, and most important, cut the strips long ways and iron the complete strip (5") in half and then cut 5" blocks. Do numerous strips at the same time. Fold the corners to the middle and put a little Elmer's School glue to hold them down. It works best if you iron them. If you will starch the long strips it makes ironing the folds easier. Then I cut a 10" square of fabric. It won't matter because it won't show and a 5" square of (preferably) the same color of the first folded squares glued in the middle of the 10" square. Lay first 4 in the center again glue. Next rows around will be 8 squares folded. I needed some hand work so I tacked them down the centers by hand but the tute showed to sew down with machine. Will be 4 across seams. I tried to evenly cut them in a circle and put batting and back (just cut bigger ) and used my serger to go around then used bias tape around the edge. Hope this makes sence. Google the tute, it will be better.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Nice job! So, OK, you used glue to hold them together - what is going to happen when they get washed? My Mom made bigger ones years ago and put them in big embroidery hoops and we hung them on the wall - but they never got washed. Just shook them out once in awhile because they did become dusty from hanging on the wall.
The school glue acts as basting. It will wash out so you still have to sew it down.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

You are right about it being a lot of work. I made some table toppers with the same folded star. Great job.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:43 AM

Default Christmas Gifts.

Originally Posted by Froggiey View Post
Almost finished with 15 Christmas folded star pot holders. Lots of work but fun to make. Elmer's school glue made it much easier. I love that glue.
Great idea for Christmas gifts for my fellow bee members. I also use Elmer glue for help in the quilting room. I just put together a lap quilt using Elmers instead of spray on basting glue and it has worked great.Your potholders are very pretty.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

Those are beautiful..I love them...
Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 AM

Those are wonderful. If I received one as a gift I might use it as a decoration instead of a a potholder, they are so nice.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 AM

Way to get a great jump on Christmas projects!