Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Free Motion is my Kryptonite >

Free Motion is my Kryptonite

Free Motion is my Kryptonite

Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Looks great! The Greeks believed that the goddess of hearth (quilting) was a jealous one and bated perfection from anyone except herself. So she loves your quilt. And everyone of ours!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:02 AM

Well I think you did great! Do keep at it. My "first" was a disaster. I broke every needle in my house! I still gave it to my niece thinking she'd never notice. The first thing she said was...."You did free motion quilting!" LoloL I didn't try again for over a year. I've done six since. My last was a king size for my dear sister. It was no way near perfect but my sister loves me.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Practice practice practice. I love FMQing. And you are a talent. I am looking at your quilting design. So keep going. It will come. I listen to the hum of my machine and that is how I know to speed up and slow down. You don't have to go at top speed. Go at a speed that is comfortable for you. But just keep keeping on.

We, the viewers look at the quilt as a whole. We aren't interested in whether the stitches are long short even or not. Done is best. And you learn with every quilt.

If you can manage it, take classes from different people, they all have some special tip that will help. Learn a little, practice a lot and take another class when you are ready to progress.

My favorite method is fluff and stuff. It makes sure that all the directions I want to go are free to move. I have seen some people try to FMQ using the sleeve arm of the machine. You can only move what you can control. Use a large table around your machine having a large flat surface with your machine surface. I have made my own. The adjusting bottom of the legs are available even at my small local hardware store.

I'm being so long because I am really impressed by your quilt and I want to see you do more.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Randy congrats for even trying! Your quilt is beautiful! We're all thankful there are no quilt police because if there were then none of us would be left to make quilts. We all had to start somewhere and you are off to a fantastic start! Love your signature!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 AM

Google 'Angela Walters' for great ideas in FMQ. She has a great modern take and a wonderful blog. Leah Day (mentioned above) also has terrific ideas. And don't be so hard on yourself. Yes, it takes practice. Try drawing ideas out and practicing first on paper. (Dollar Stores have the big pads) - it really helps.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 AM

I am working on my own FMQ and feel the same way. How on earth do they keep those lines straight and not look like I sewed it eith my eyes closed . My goodness thankfully washing will hide a lot of imperfection and BOY is there a lot of it!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 AM

You really did a great job. Lots better than my first free motion. You should be proud.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 AM

I think it looks just fine, koodos for trying something I don't think I will ever do.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 AM

It's really okay if it isn't perfect, however if you insist on ripping it all out just send me an airplane ticket to Nebraska and I'll be right there! I'm an expert at ripping!

Last edited by lclang; 03-08-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: want to add something
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Totally Straight View Post
Maybe I should not have said ruined........ LOL LOL

I'm trying so hard to get good at quilting that I sometimes forget the world is not coming to an end when things arnt perfect in my quilt.
I think your quilting is perfect for this quilt, it adds to the beautiful colors.