Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Free motion quilting >

Free motion quilting

Free motion quilting

Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Was the clear laminate you used like Plexiglas? Or? The pictures really helped me. I have never thought about turning the machine perpendicular to where I sit to sew...thought I had to face the front of the machine! LOL glad you are happy with your set up...Happy quilting!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM

The laminate came on a roll in the shelf liner section of Walmart. It has an adhesive on the back and I just rolled it around to block to hold it together and to get that smooth surface. Had thought about getting that teflon thing (SuperGlider?), but this is a lot cheaper and bigger.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I love your idea!!!! Thank you for sharing it with us :D:D:D
Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 PM

I would love to see your pic's of how you use it too. That looks so interesting. I have my machine sitting on a conference table, using an extension. I would love to cut a hole in it to recess my machine, but I'm at a loss as how to do it. I'm a fair carpenter, but I would need visual step by step directions! I have raised my sewing chair, but then have a hard time operating the foot pedal. You ladies are so great!

My table does not have adjustable height legs but if I knew where to buy them reasonably, I would replace them. I'm too afraid to cut the legs off, as I'm sure I would ruin the table.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM

I guess if you would like to build something around your machine rather than cutting a hole in your table you could go with a foam block like I did. If you cannot reach the foot pedal anymore, put it on a sturdy box or something else high and big enough to accomodate both the pedal and your foot.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by newbie1001
I just went downstairs to measure the space from needle to edge of foam block, it's 12 inches. I can still see well this way. Can't take a picture of myself right now, have to wait for my husband. So far I've only been making baby quilts up to 42 inches square. What I usually do, I start somewhere close to the middle and quilt from left to right and back to left etc. Every couple of inches I roll up the quilt more. I hadn't yet gotten into the habit of quilting the traditional way, so for me it was easy to take on this method, it may not be so for someone who's been quilting the other way for years. But I encourage everyone to give it a try. No more cramped up right shoulder and arm for me!
Thanks so very much!! That gives me a better idea now. Okay, so you do work left to right. Thanks for explaining some of this to me, it really helps. I'm totally new to FMQ, so naturally had a few questions. I really appreciate you replying. I'm sure that will help others, too. I could certainly do with less shoulder and neck pain while sewing, too!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

This looks like a great idea. I quilt on my glass topped dining table, I need to get some foam like yours to make it as high as my machine. Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Very creative, I can see that it probably does make moving the quilt easier and therefore less tiring. I always found trying to fight with a quilt to feed it through the throat area actully wore me out.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

What a great set up. I can see why it would be easier.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your technique....sometimes we "forget" that we don't have to do things the set way, so we do need a jolt to the "creative thinking" part of our brains from time to time.