GFG

Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Okay so I tried a set, and it wasn't terrible. Actually, I quite enjoyed it. However, it seems that I've got a little problem with sizing. They are all cute precisely, and I did the sewing by hand according to the lines the template had placed. What did I do wrong?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253466.jpe   attachment-253467.jpe  
Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Okay so I tried a set, and it wasn't terrible. Actually, I quite enjoyed it. However, it seems that I've got a little problem with sizing. They are all cute precisely, and I did the sewing by hand according to the lines the template had placed. What did I do wrong?
I do not know what you have done wrong...BUT a couple of days ago, I was watching one of the quilting shows on TV (not fons and porter) It may have been Bonnie Hunt or whatever her name is....

She said...to sew one hexagon on one spot....SKIP the next one....sew on a hexagon...SKIP next one...so in other words...sew a hexagon on every other petal....iron...and then go back and sew on the other 3 peices and then iron. And it will make it to where the seams will lay flat. :)
I hope you understand what I mean. :) Good luck to you.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM

I make hexagons from plastic lids and use them as if making yoyos. I baste the fabric and gather around the hex and knot off. When I have sewn enough of them together I clip the basting and remove the inner plastic hexes.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253470.jpe  
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Could just be the way you folded the fabric over your template. Ive done before. Im working on one too. Otherwise you did good!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm doing one too ! I occas havesame problem. Think I dont fold over template well. We'll learn together!!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Well, my template isn't the 'fold over' kind. At least I didn't think it was! lol! That would explain why they're so BIG too! haha!!! I thought I was supposed to cut around the outside of the template, then using the holes in the template, mark the lines that were supposed to be my 1/4" sewing guideline. It's the Omnigrid...... Well...... this...... http://www.etsy.com/listing/57460573...es-by-omnigrid

I'll bet I'm a dork and don't have the right one. @@
Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I do not know what you have done wrong...BUT a couple of days ago, I was watching one of the quilting shows on TV (not fons and porter) It may have been Bonnie Hunt or whatever her name is....

She said...to sew one hexagon on one spot....SKIP the next one....sew on a hexagon...SKIP next one...so in other words...sew a hexagon on every other petal....iron...and then go back and sew on the other 3 peices and then iron. And it will make it to where the seams will lay flat. :)
Nice colour choice. I usually use fairly thick paper or card as templates (I make them myself) and use sewers tacking to secure the fabrics before whip stiching the hexagons together. I don't use the 'skip method' because I don't want to have to deal with Y-seams that can get too fiddly. The paper or card remains until you are ready to remove them and after they have been ironed so that the 'petals' keep their shape.

Try having a look at this tutorial, the tutor used straight stitching in this one, personally I prefer whip stitching:

http://alamodefabric.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

Best wishes! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BizzieLizzie

Nice colour choice. I usually use fairly thick paper or card as templates (I make them myself) and use sewers tacking to secure the fabrics before whip stiching the hexagons together. I don't use the 'skip method' because I don't want to have to deal with Y-seams that can get too fiddly. The paper or card remains until you are ready to remove them and after they have been ironed so that the 'petals' keep their shape.

Try having a look at this tutorial, the tutor used straight stitching in this one, personally I prefer whip stitching:

Oh that's a lovely tutorial! Thanks! I THINK that my problem is that I didn't prep them right. I just cut them out and started sewing them together on the 1/4 lines. lol. Hey, the directions in the package sucked. lol
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by BizzieLizzie

Oh that's a lovely tutorial! Thanks! I THINK that my problem is that I didn't prep them right. I just cut them out and started sewing them together on the 1/4 lines. lol. Hey, the directions in the package sucked. lol
Glad you found the tutorial helpful. You are only able to do a good job if the instructions are as good. I think that the writers of these patterns see in their mind the pictures that we can't possibly see and they put down on paper minus those 'pictures'! LOL :roll:

I like looking at tutorials before I try anything new. We all go through times and things like this, at least it was only one GFG and not a whole load. Good luck with the rest. :D :thumbup: