Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Gift to myself

I was alone for Christmas 2005. I didn't feel like spending it with casual friends, and I didn't want to mope, so I gave myself a gift- three days and to make a quilt for ME. I love 1930's repros, and I had some originals, so I made this top. Then, I couldn't afford to have it custom quilted, so I put it away, and waited until I had my own frame. Last week, I finally quilted her and put her on the bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since I'm too cheap and too impatient to find the stencils I wanted, I used an old WALL stencil of arts and crafts style roses, and just winged it. The roses are quilted in light pink thread. But I think there is too much detail. Maybe I will actually look for quilting stencils next time instead of free-handing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful Christmas gift you gave yourself and I am sure it is exactly the color and size you wanted. The quilting is awesome....Merry Christ*mas

That is lovely. Great job with the quilt and the quilting.

I sure can relate to those holidays all alone.
    Love your quilt, and you did a great job on it.
    It is wonderful that you took lemons and made lemonade, and gave yourself a wonderful memory.
    So, here's a ((((HUG)))) , and a prayer for you.

Blog Entries
    That is beautiful!
    I love the 30's prints.
    What is the quilt pattern called?

I love, love LOVE 30/40s repro fabrics! What a beautiful gift!!! And the quilting is wonderful!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I just love it!! And me too- love the 30's fabrics. However I totally disagree that there is too much quilting in it.
    Never heard of such a thing :D :D :D
    Big hugs, Sue

It's a beautiful quilt - and the quilting is great. I love the fabrics and pattern.

Blog Entries
    Very Pretty!!! I don't think your quilting is too detailed, it is perfect!!! :D:D:D

I don't know the name of the pattern, but it was on the cover of one of the Quilting magazine (lots of help there, huh?) about 5-6 years ago. I think it's an old standard. All it is is four square blocks and blocks with the corners. it can easily be used for a siggy quilt.

Sweet! Love the idea and realisation of the idea! Pretty quilt and your quilting is lovely!

Very pretty. I love the 30's reproduction prints, too. They are always so cheerful. I really like your quilting and admire you for the ingenuity to find a pattern from another source.

Very nice. And I like the quilting. :thumbup:

Pam
    I disagree with you, I think the quilting is just right for the quilt. It was certainly worth the wait, but boy, ob boy, she sure is GLAD to finally get out of the closet!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Wow! Great job on the quilting! Congrats on your new frame! The quilt is beautiful! I hope you have many happy dreams snuggling under it!

I don't think there is too much quilting overall, just that the roses are a little dense. And not enough around them, so the white puffs out a bit. This was a learning quilt, and I will always love it. It's the first one I've done where I've tried for a specific, recognizable thing, like roses, as opposed to my favorite spirals and meandering.

This is the biggest quilt I can make without taking the frame out to king-size, which I do not have room to do. And still, on my new giant mattress, it is not quite big enough.

Blog Entries
    Pretty!

Boy when your done gifting yourself feel free to gift me that is a beautiful quilt and love the quilting job you did on it. I say gift yourself more time and more luxury things like this (they are luxury items) you only live once. A beautiful job thank you so much for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I think it is perfect , quilting and fabrics , everything :mrgreen:

What a wonderful gift you gave yourself :lol:

We should all be good to ourselves more then we are....I think Mothers are especially guilty of putting everyone elses needs first!
    Your quilt is so beautiful! If I didn't know better I would think it was an antique! The fabrics are perfect and the quilting is fabulous....What a great job!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Ditter

Well, I never seem to make things for myself. Most of the quilts I make are for specific people, and I have a huge family, so there is always another quilt to make. The other quilts I've made for "myself" are quilts to protect the sofas from dogs- so really, dog quilts.

I love your Christmas gift!! You could be my Santa any time!! I love how you did the roses, they compliment the quilt nicely. Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it! :lol: :D :-P

Blog Entries
    Love your soft colors and your stiching. My plan for the holiday weekend is to sew for 3 days straight. I just hope no one calls...maybe I won't answer the phone. I like your Christmas present to you and the idea.
    Quilter68

Pam
    The rose pattern is very pretty and you should consider using it again, if you think it is too dense, just do everyother inside line, it would make them more airy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast