Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Graduation Quilt

Hi everyone. Life has been keeping me very busy (I'm overwhelmed at the moment) but I wanted to stop in and share one of the quilts I made recently. My youngest is graduating from high school in a week and so I whipped together a quilt for her. It's an album quilt and all her friends are signing it. I can't wait to get a picture of it with everyone's signatures and I really hope it will be something she values and treasures as she gets older. It was an easy quilt with only three units and went together over the weekend. The top anyway. It usually takes me forever to make a quilt so this was a happy surprise!
    Piece...Tiffany

2008 Graduation Quilt, album style
    Name:  Attachment-11041.jpe
Views: 275
Size:  59.3 KB

Beautiful! How special it will be with all her friends' signatures on it!

I hope she feels that way too. I look back and wish I had something like that from my years in high school. Sadly, my year books were destroyed in a flood when I lived in Bremerton, Washington so all I have are my memories. And at my age I'm not sure how reliable those are anymore. :lol:
    Piece...Tiffany

What a lovely quilt. I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled with it for many years to come.

Izy
    What a special mom you are to take the time to make this for her!! She will be over the moon with it I am sure :D :D

I love the quilt too, it looks complicated, yet you say it was easy?? Wow!!!! :D :D

That is gorgeous and what a wonderful idea about getting the signatures! A terrific keepsake. Have missed you here, but glad to see that it is sewing that is keeping you away!

Ooooh! I love it! I really like the way the 4 patches almost float on top of the white!! That will be a spectacular signature quilt for your daughter. :D :D :D

What a great gift!!!

Beautiful quilt. What a great idea for all her friends to sign. She will treasure it forever. Hope your life slows down a bit and you get some goof off time real soon!

Blog Entries
    I love it! It has a batiky look. The signatures are going to be the icing.

Tiffany, that is awesome. You are a great mom. Yu'll have to let us know what she says.

I think that is a wonderful idea. I'm sure that she will love it and treasure it for many years. Your a great Mom to make this memory for her. Thanks for sharing and don't forget to post a pic once everyone has signed it for us to see.

Wish I had thought of that when my kids graduated. You know paper is easily destroyed but fabric is so much more durable. Hope she loves it as much as I do.

Banned
    great idea. she'll cherrish it

wonderful. I hope she will treasue it always.

I made a siggie quilt for my in-laws 50th. By the time the actual date got there, 4 of her friends who had sent their sentiments, had passed away.
    Trust me, she WILL treasure your efforts, always.
    Julie

Thats lovely like the green, That will be something she'll keep for ever..........great mom :D

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    that is a lovely idea and i am sure your daughter will love it. Cant believe you put that together in a weekend..

Blog Entries
    Oh I like that. My niece is graduating this friday and I am going to make her a winnie the pooh quilt. Thats what she said she wanted, but I told her it wont be ready until she leaves for college. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbear66
    Thanks for sharing and don't forget to post a pic once everyone has signed it for us to see.
    And a picture of her receiving it! That is beautiful!

Glad you checked in, we've been missing you! I hope things will settle down soon and all that you need to do will be done quickly!

Tiffany, how special. I wish I would have thought of a signature quilt when my son graduated. I love the colors and the layout of your quilt.

Tiffany, That is beautiful. I am sure she will treasure it always.

Kyia

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments. I've never had a quilt go together so quickly or easily, which makes me really love this pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    I love the quilt too, it looks complicated, yet you say it was easy?? Wow!!!! :D :D
    It really was easy!! The green squares to make the four patch units are made of 2.5 inch squares. I sewed a light and dark green square together, sewed two of those together and got a four-patch. For the white section, cut a 4.5-inch square. Take a 2.5-inch red square and draw a line on the back from one point to the other (this will give you a diagnal line across the sq.). Lay this, right sides together, at the top of the white square and sew along the line, then iron the red square toward the edge. Do this to the other side and you will have a white piece with flying geese at one end. I hope this makes sense!

And that is all you have to do. Then you simply sew the white and red unit to a four patch unit and the points come out perfect! Well, they come out perfect as long as you are careful about sewing a quarter inch seam. :lol:

Very very pretty. You did a great job.

Blog Entries
    love your colours and quilt