Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grandma and her rag quilt

My Grandma is 92 years old and in a nursing home. She has just recently came out of the hospital. The doctors said that she wouldn't make it and called all of the family together. She made it and that was almost two months ago. The doctors said that she is one stuborn old lady. I made her a rag quilt as she told me that her legs are always cold.

Grandma and her rag quilt
    Name:  Attachment-1228.jpe
Views: 512
Size:  53.1 KB

here is another rag quilt that I finished for myself this time. I'm going to make several of these for Christmas gifts.

rwb rag quilt for me
    Name:  Attachment-1055.jpe
Views: 504
Size:  53.8 KB

close up of rwb rag
    Name:  Attachment-1058.jpe
Views: 504
Size:  73.6 KB

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! Both your tuff little grandma and your rag quilts! :D

Blog Entries
    The picture and story made me get all teary.... you are a wonderful granddaughter to make her such a beautiful quilt, I am sure everytime she uses it she thinks about you :D Both of your quilts are gorgeous :-)

lin
    I'm glad your grandma hung in there and got better, and she seems happy to have that beautiful quilt on her lap! That was a wonderul gift to recieve from you. :)

Gram looks great with her quilt' Your rags look good.......tell fabric and how many layers, I always like to know detail of great results :P

I just used 7 in blocks of cotton on front and back and flannel in the center. I cut all three blocks the same size and used a 1/2 in seam. They really go together quickly. I recently came across a great find. My brother works for a laundry service and when they have towels or flannel sheets that have a small stain or hole in them they let their employees take them home. He just brought me 10 full size flannel sheets. I'm going to use those on my next rag quilts. It will save a lot of money and they are already preshrunk. Can't bet that.

That was such a nice story and beautiful quilts. I know yur grandmother loved hers!

What a special story. Your grandma must be a very strong lady. I hope you see many more years with her.

Very lovely story and a wonderful quilt to boot!!! Treasurable!!

You are very special person to remember your gran and to take the time to make her a warm quilt. I'd bet she is just lawding it over the others there where she lives. Special people, both of you and beautiful to the eyes!

Grandmas are special and I am glad you two are still at it. Wonderful quilt and I can see she loves it. Nice to be warm and wrapped up in such love. :D

my hus. told me to let you know our snail mail address. very beautiful quilts.

Thank you all for the kind words. You all are just the greatest group of people. I know that Grandma really liked it and shows it to everyone that comes in to see her. She used to quilt herself and I have a hand pieced and hand quilted quilt that she made for me. I wish that I would have started quilting while she was still able to help me.

What a lucky grandma, I just had to add my two cents. It's having supportive, loving family around like you that keep her going! Plus, your quilts are just lovely--I'm putting a rag quilt on my "to do" list. :D

My great grandmother was the quilter in our family and I cherish a couple of the quilts I have been fortunate enough to get. They are all hand pieced and hand quilted---I can only imagine how long they must have taken! One was given to me when I went away to college. It was so comforting to have being away from home. (although now I wish I hadn't washed it so many times....it has faded some).

What a wonderful gift!! We can see all the hugs and kisses you've put into that quilt for your grandma. Job well done :D

That's lovely, CCBear... she reminds me of all the sweet ladies I knew down there in Warrensburg and Knob Noster. Those ladies really blessed me.

Families that quilt are to be treasured. My sister, Virginia and I are the only 2 in our family. My grandmother and mother both sewed but no one else that I know of quilted. The lucky ones are the ones that go back several generations.
    You have a right to be proud of tat quilt and the fact that you have one that your grandmother made makes it even more special.

Great job & beautiful pix of Gran & quilts. You can feel the love you put into them. :)

Blog Entries
    she looks cozy....

beautiful quilt and beautiful grandma! You are such a great granddaughter to make her this quilt!
    No matter what life throws you just remember that it could ALWAYS be worse....

Lovely Grandmother and lovely quilt! I know she will enjoy it AND it matches her housecoat! Both are just beautiful.

delma

How sweet.
    will quilt 4EVER

What a beautiful Lady!!!

I bet she still turns heads and the nursing home.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Your grandma looks lovely wrapped in her "love quilt". Well done on both of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast