Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Grandma R's Quilt Top >

Grandma R's Quilt Top

Grandma R's Quilt Top

Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM

for anyone interested...

one course was in winterthur in delaware. it's a museum of antigue furnishings with a huge display of quilts and other textiles, such as draperies, upholstery fabrics, fancy bedcoverings, etc. in their basement, not usually open to the public, they have rooms and rooms of original and reproduced textiles for refurbishing and recovering their antique showrooms as the fabrics get faded or damaged. the sun damage is unbelievable. this was a private course, arranged through a family friend in the textile industry. it was attended by only two others.

the other was an open course in the newark, nj, museum about 10 years ago. this museum also has a famous textile collection that they have to rotate so that everything gets to be on display once in a while. i have a few things that i mean to donate to them, as most of their collection is donations.
this museum is made of three or four victorian home, next door to one another, that have been attached with new connecting buildings in between. it is huge. it has space for an enormous collection, and it still isn't enough space.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm surprised how no one has remarked on how the quilt looks especially beautiful when adorned by the cat!

Could it be that Grandma R designed the pattern herself?

I'm wondering whether the strips with the postcard-shaped fabrics are pieces or appliqued?

It is an intriguing quilt!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:36 PM

sorry i hijacked
Old 07-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
I'm surprised how no one has remarked on how the quilt looks especially beautiful when adorned by the cat!

Could it be that Grandma R designed the pattern herself?

I'm wondering whether the strips with the postcard-shaped fabrics are pieces or appliqued?

It is an intriguing quilt!
Lisanne, everything is pieced.

(And yes, the quilt does look better with a cat on it!! But I woke him up when I turned on the light in the spare bedroom. When he hopped up there and I snapped his picture, his expression is kind of like, "what -- you woke me up for this??") :lol: :lol:

Oh, and I was assured by several people that Grandma R never sewed or was seen sewing at least in the past 20 yrs. -- but I think that maybe they just didn't notice!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM

Its called "Tipped Bricks". I have it printed off from Quilterscache. Its in the borders section.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

I was "Op Shopping" yesterday and paid 50cents (Aussie) for a book by "Patchwork & Quilting" "Quilts for all Seasons". Inside was a quilt very similar to yours in blues/blacks called "Stacks of Blue" designed by Anne Langley. I think it is a variation of the "Tipped Bricks" pattern. Rats...I promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore quilting books/mags....but I just couldn't help it!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by collettakay
Its called "Tipped Bricks". I have it printed off from Quilterscache. Its in the borders section.
Thanks Colletta!!!!! That's it!!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I was "Op Shopping" yesterday and paid 50cents (Aussie) for a book by "Patchwork & Quilting" "Quilts for all Seasons". Inside was a quilt very similar to yours in blues/blacks called "Stacks of Blue" designed by Anne Langley. I think it is a variation of the "Tipped Bricks" pattern. Rats...I promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore quilting books/mags....but I just couldn't help it!
Thanks earthwalker!!! (It's OK to buy lots and lots of books, mags, patterns, fabric, batting, etc. -- we not only are helping the economy but helping to keep the earth warm..... :roll: )
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 AM

Amen and how!!!! teee hee
Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM

What a find, I think I would Hand quilt it. I would love to see the material also. I don't know the pattern but I do like it.
BillsBonBon