Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting - need encouragement >

Hand Quilting - need encouragement

Hand Quilting - need encouragement

Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM

That is like I do it. It goes so quickly and really stands out as decoration.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM

I'm not a hand quilter, but doesn't look too bad to me. We are always hard on ourselves. Just relax and enjoy the process!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 PM

I do really like those big sticthes too!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Those "big stitches" are probably her basting stitches.

You have some great suggestions here, tiger tape among them. Since you mentioned you wanted to use what you have on hand, perhaps you could use our sewing machine's regular stitch length as one would he tape. Just stitch a long row, or even several long rows all with the stitch set at different lengths, and practice making your hand quilting stitch beside them, or beside every other one.

More tedious but perhaps as effective, use a very sharp graphite pencil and a ruler to mark a dotted line every 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch, or mark in centimeters if the length is better for you.

Use these to practice handquilting on a block or circle or oval and use a colored thread. When you have quilted the whole design, make a small pillow from the work and then go on to your quilt.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 PM

For your first try you're doing great. My aunt taught me and I would always try to take to many stitches at one time. When I did it her way which was 2 to 3 stitches at a time I found it was easier to control the size. Don't give up it reLy can be relaxing.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 PM

You did a great job! It's your first time you do handquilting and with practicing you will improve. Of course it is also a matter of the material and flannel on the back of your quilt is not so easy to handle!
So take your time, go on with it and you will see your skills will improve.
Hand quilting is like hand writing - we all have our own way to do it and it always looks different. It is a very personal thing.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

nice job ! but, not relaxing for me.. lol.. hunched over, stressing about the size of each perfect stitch.

Keep up, it is much more portable than a machine !
Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 AM

It looks fine to me. Everything in life is practice, practice, practice, the more you do it, the more comfortable you will be. I hand quilt and some days it looks really good, other days not so much, but I never rip it out. Relax and enjoy.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 AM

Your quilting looks good. As long as the stiches are the same length they don't have to be tiny. I used to beat myself up over my hand quilting. A very well known quilter in England said this to me - relax, enjoy and don't try to be perfect. Get your stitches the same length, doesn't matter how long they are, and have a go.

Enjoy your quilting,
Pauline in England
Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 AM

awwww- be patient with yourself! I am still a newbee, and we have to learn somehow, your stitching looks fine, just remember that 10 foot rule, and you will be fine, good for a first try anyway! I think I am going to try it next go around for the doll quilt and see what takes place! keep up the good work. and I like what you have done.

oh and quit tensing up when you do the hand stitching, it is really supposed to be relaxing, and so is knitting....crocheting etc..