Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heart Quilt Help

So...I finished the blocks to make small heart quilt wall hanging. They just aren't sitting right with me yet. Obviously I have to make them all the same size and piece them together, but wanted an opinion if the black fabric just plain doesn't go.

You know...the more I keep looking at it, I think it's the polka dots that are throwing the whole thing off.... :? I am thinking I will maybe scrap this and start over

Can you slip those two fabrics in the border to balance it out?

I don't think the polka dots are throwing it off. I think you need to do the border then stand back and take a look at it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it....I think you just need to finish it, add your border and then I think you will be happy! I know I would!

I believe once you put it together and sew your border on it, you will think differently.. The blocks look great!!!

I really like all the fabrics. Seriously. I really do. I would take this quilt.

Kyia

Helen..........I like the quilt......this is what I see when I look at it. With the red blocks in the middle with the squares, it looks like eyes. What I see is not a heart, but (how do I say this?) a cartoon character of sorts. with hair standing on end........does that make sense?

I like it though, and I would finish it the way it is, unless you are looking for the finished product to be a true heart. I love quilts like this....

Barb

I love it! I can see a heart plain as day. Great fabrics. The black, polka dots, etc. I knew it was going to look good! Keep going. Were you going to add borders?

Blog Entries
    STEP AWAY FROM THE PROJECT!
    That is one of my mottos when I am perplexed. IMHO don't change anything, finish it. What type of border/s do you have in mind? That can change the look of the quilt. Good luck.

Hey I did not notice that until I took a second to see the wway Barb sees it. She is right. But now I see it both ways. I think it is great

Quote Originally Posted by Stitching4Fun
    Helen..........I like the quilt......this is what I see when I look at it. With the red blocks in the middle with the squares, it looks like eyes. What I see is not a heart, but (how do I say this?) a cartoon character of sorts. with hair standing on end........does that make sense?

I like it though, and I would finish it the way it is, unless you are looking for the finished product to be a true heart. I love quilts like this....

Barb

I think it's great the way it is.
    Just do like the others said and it will look great!

Can you take the outside blocks from center, and swap with inside blocks on bottom? I know with standard log cabins, that would solve your problem, but with offsets, you have to watch dominant sides.

I agree totally Moon, I noted your point that the darks need to be further spread apart and the eye will fill the middle points. I think I will finish this one off and then try again with different fabrics and try to mess around with the pattern of the fabrics to make sure the colors aren't floppy on one side in each block.

HAH! It DOES look like a crazy face!! :D

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    when i first saw it i though what lovely colors..i think you should just finish it off like everyone says and i think you will be very happy with it. Most things i make i go through that and think i dont like something but by the time i finish it off usually it turns out great!

Ilove it!!!!!! I think when the borders are added, you will be surprised how great it is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Please feel free to send it to my house. I have a spot for it on a wall all picked out. :-) :-) :-)Pam W.

I like the colors - when you paint pieces, to show depth and contrast you have to have dark and light. I particularly like that yu have the dark in there.

Blog Entries
    The black would have looked better next to the red...my opinion. GiGi

Hi. new member on the block. I just think you need to bring the dark fabric into the tip of the heart. Maybe vertical on the left and horizontal on the right. I really like it....Danny

Got that backwards after looking at the picture again. Sorry, you know what I mean, make it look balanced. Danny

I think we all keep seeing the one fabric with the black----it seems distracting because all of the other colors are just so lovely together--Sometimes the best thing to do is put it away for awhile and look at it "fresh" in a few days...

When I look at this, I see half of the squares with narrower strips than the other half, or am I imaging it?? If so, then maybe the bottom two red/white that form the point need to have wider red sections. That would balance it out a little on the bottom. Of course, this is just a suggestion, as what you prefer is the thing to do.

You are right Jan, they ended up way too willy nilly for me to try to fix them, I tossed it and will try again and make the blocks more uniformed. It was driving me up the wall that the little squares in the middle were different sizes. I guess I should not have tried to start my first log cabin with an offselt log cabin pattern. :?

No, I wouldn't trash the whole thing, too much work done already. Just do 2 for the bottom of the heart points. Cut or recut (if your using leftover strips) all the same size. Start with a square in the middle then sew the next strip to that, cut off the extra. Work around the center with the right color to form your design. There is the option of making half of the block in the wider strips and the other half in the narrow strips. It does create a rather interesting design. You can always use the first try blocks on the back. I use left over fabrics on the back when I make charity quilts. Anything goes there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast