Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help me decide? >

Help me decide?

Help me decide?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

That is pretty fabric - and I agree on the 1st layout with the extra row of triangles. Paris eh? That's about 4 hours from me! :D
Old 01-17-2010, 08:02 PM

Did my first test block tonight. I needed to figure out what size to cut the beige squares to go around the 7 5/8" on-point center square. I cut them at 9", sewed the light and dark together in the easy HST way (up both sides the middle), then cut diagonal both ways. It was just a bit larger than needed but that's what I wanted to square them up. About 1/4" inch was cut off each side.

The fabric is so pretty and I can hardly wait to see how it looks all together.

If only EQ6 could be a little more smart about piecing. No way was I going to cut out 8 triangles in the size it says and sew them together and think it's going to come out anywhere close to the accuracy of the easy HST.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-47956.jpe  
Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 PM

You certainly do nice work! This will be lovely...and looks like we won't have to wait very long to see it! I noticed in view 3 that on the bottom and on the right side you "drew" a tiny border but left it off the top and the left side... I'd hope that you would include the tiny border to float the blocks away from the border...it just seems to make the border more important...but that's opinions for you...everybody has one or more...and it is your quilt so I'll just wait to see your completed vision...I do admire your work.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
You certainly do nice work! This will be lovely...and looks like we won't have to wait very long to see it! I noticed in view 3 that on the bottom and on the right side you "drew" a tiny border but left it off the top and the left side... I'd hope that you would include the tiny border to float the blocks away from the border...it just seems to make the border more important...but that's opinions for you...everybody has one or more...and it is your quilt so I'll just wait to see your completed vision...I do admire your work.
There isn't a border there in EQ6 but it shows the blocks slightly away from the two side, which is weird. I don't plan on a small inner border. The border fabric has small strips of beige and a larger strip of blue. I have to see it in person and see how the pattern repeat is but I would probably have the beige next to the quilt, then the blue, then a framing strip of beige again.

The 2 beige squares for the block are cut 7" square, not 9". :-D I just got all of them cut out. Now need to cut 12 each of the two blues, 13 of the large floral, 8 blue toile and 4 beige toile. It's a very simple design but the fabric is so pretty that I just wanted to use large pieces. I will have quite a bit left over for matching pillows.

And thank you!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48320.jpe  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
That is pretty fabric - and I agree on the 1st layout with the extra row of triangles. Paris eh? That's about 4 hours from me! :D
Really? If we go with the trip that we're looking at we'll be in Paris for 4 nights. :-D
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Originally Posted by k3n
Really? If we go with the trip that we're looking at we'll be in Paris for 4 nights. :-D
MAYBE I could come up and meet up with you? :-D
Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 AM

No. 1
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM

I sewed the upper left of the first row together to see how it looks. I like it. :-) I'm at a stop tonight because I need to cut the lighter blue squares and I ran out of starch. I thought I had cut and sewed all the corner triangles but I realized that I only did half of what I need. Too anxious to get it done!

I can just imagine it on my four poster bed with frilly pillow shams made to match. My bedroom walls are like the darker beige and I have chocolate, pale plue, and cream towels in my bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65177.jpe  
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 AM

I revised the pattern again. I don't have enough of the two beige fabrics to do the extra border of triangles and it did look strange without it so... went another direction with it. After playing around in EQ6 I came up with this.

I like it better than the large solid pieces and all but three of the beige center section corner blocks are done and two of the rows are sewn together. It might be done today!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61778.jpe