Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Here is another UFO art quilt finished >

Here is another UFO art quilt finished

Here is another UFO art quilt finished

Old 08-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Way cool, Rob! Wish I could pick your brain--I'm trying to figure out how to "dye" some bat to use behind a sheer background fabric to add some dimension to a wall hanging. I have Inktense pencils and also thought about paints but wasn't sure what kind. Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Way cool, Rob! Wish I could pick your brain--I'm trying to figure out how to "dye" some bat to use behind a sheer background fabric to add some dimension to a wall hanging. I have Inktense pencils and also thought about paints but wasn't sure what kind. Thoughts?

Thanks quiltingshorttimer. I wonder if the pencils would tear the batting? I've used the Inktense pencils on fabric, but not batting. Maybe if you got some of the Inktense blocks and used them like watercolor paint--- make a puddle of color and then paint that on.

Watercolor Paints would probably not work for what you want since they will wash out if they get re-wetted.

I've had good success painting a variety of different battings using fluid acrylic paints--- the ones I happen to have on hand from years of painting are Golden fluid acrylics, but you could use any acrylic paints that are thin-- you don't want anything too thick as you would lose the texture of you batting.

When I'm painting batting I thin the fluid acrylics down so they are very liquid but still have strong color, like a puddle of orange juice. There are special additives that you can get to help with this so you don't have to add so much water that the paint film breaks down. I'm trying to remember what they're called.... Can't remember the exact one I used, but you can use Golden Acrylic extender with fluid acrylics or Gac 900 fabric medium with High flow acrylics. Just be sure to follow the directions on the extenders so you don't use too much or your paint will not dry properly.

I think for starting out, maybe Fabric paint or Fabric medium with any acrylic paints might be your best bet since these are meant to dry with a soft hand.

Hope all that isn't too much info and that it helps with your project.

Rob
Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 PM

thank you so much, Rob. I agree that the Inktense pencils would probably make a mess of the bat. since I'll have to purchase paints, I think I'll go with the fabric paint. another thought is to use the Inktense on the back of the background fabric--that's assuming I can draw in reverse what I have in mind! This is strictly an experiment--I used strings to do some applique for a guild program on string quilts and figured since all experimental I wanted to try my hand at doing some dying/painting/etc on the bat to see how that works.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I'll be honest and say that art quilts just aren't my thing and I don't understand them, but then I'm a very organized person....maybe a little OCD. But happy that there are others who see the beauty in them and make them.
They are more like paintings... just made with quilting materials.

Your latest is very cool, Rob. I love those colors.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
They are more like paintings... just made with quilting materials.

Your latest is very cool, Rob. I love those colors.
thanks Sewbiz!