Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Quilting Table

Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    I can do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness! I NEED one of those. You described it so well that I could relate to what you were doing (would love if you had step by step pictures and posted them) and the way you photographed the final table shows me precisely what you meant. (I am friends with the tools and toys in the garage.!) It is now on my list.
    Sorry, but I didn't take pictures when I was making either one, but there is really nothing complicated about the design. Here are some pictures of the bottom side (sitting on my old scratched folding table). I used 1/2 inch beadboard plywood, but just plain plywood would be just as good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Great job! I also have that same Kenmore :)
    I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it! I did quite a bit of research before I bought it and have been very pleased with my choice.

Wow, that is a cool table!! I have a new Janome 6600 that I use now, but this just gave me an idea. I have an old Kenmore sitting in a closet that still works fine and I could do this with the Kenmore. Thanks so much for sharing. I just love all the wonderful ideas all of you have. Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by laurlync
    After reading posts on here about turning your sewing machine sideways to quilt, I decided to build my own quilting table from wood and fabric scraps I had around the house. I used a piece of 1/2 inch plywood which I cut 16 inches by 32 inches so it would fit on top of my sewing cabinet. I then cut a slot out for my machine to fit in. I measured how high I needed it to be to give me a flat quilting surface and ripped four 14 inch long 1 x 4's on my table saw to attach as skid-type legs and attached them to the plywood leaving room on the ends to attach the batting, fabric and clear vinyl. I attached the legs with several nails then used my palm sander to round off all the edges. I covered the top with 1 layer of 80/20 batting and a piece of fabric which I attached with a staple gun and added a piece of clear vinyl on top of that.

It works great and is light enough to move when using my machine for piecing. I can also take it with me when I travel and set it up on a table.

My mother has the same machine I do, so I made one for her as well. It only took a couple hours to build each one. I thought about putting something on the front to give it a more finished look, but decided I like having it open to put my extra bobbins, clippers and other items out of the way but within easy reach.

Blog Entries
    I'm bookmarking also. I hope to have mine made by next weekend! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Blog Entries
    That is great and the best part is you did it yourself :thumbup: Your quilting is amazing :mrgreen:

fantastic job! I love the idea. Thank you for sharing :)

No wonder you can piece with fabric if you can design, cut and piece with wood that easily. Good job.

Hot Dang!!! You are so smart!! Can you come over and make me one, too? How does it feel sewing that way? I guess after awhile, you get used to it. Great Job! Now I gotta go bug my DH to make me one! Thanks for the clever idea.

Way to go girlfriend! Love a go-getter.

Very cool! You are handy!

Blog Entries
    Cool cool cool idea! Thanks for posting

I'm 'guessing' the 2 surfaces are not 'perfectly aligned' but really really close. Is that correct? Does it still work ok?

I've been trying to figure out how to cut the shape of the arm of the sewing machine without messing it up.

Looks like your batting, fabric, and plastic make for some 'fudge room'

Thanks again

Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Cool cool cool idea! Thanks for posting

I'm 'guessing' the 2 surfaces are not 'perfectly aligned' but really really close. Is that correct? Does it still work ok?

I've been trying to figure out how to cut the shape of the arm of the sewing machine without messing it up.

Looks like your batting, fabric, and plastic make for some 'fudge room'

Thanks again
    You are right, they don't align completely flush because of the batting, but it works perfectly. The vinyl makes the quilt glide easily.

I measured across the base of my machine and cut my opening with a jig saw about a 1/2 inch smaller then just shaved a bit at a time until it fit snug. Having it snug against the sides of the machine keeps it from moving around while quilting. The batting, fabric and vinyl flatten out against the sides, so you need to get the opening really close.

great job! Your very handy. :thumbup:

You put on your thinking cap for this. I was never brave enough to use a saw, but envy folks who can. You may be in business making these, if you are interested in making them for profit. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    That is really nice .. I should have something of that sort.. I have my sewing machine on a craft table and need to make something level with the bed of it and extend beyond too! Great job there!

Table with sewing machine
    Name:  Attachment-83145.jpe
Views: 149
Size:  62.4 KB

Fantastic idea....its one of those that makes me think "why didnt I think of that " lol

Great job, and you are very handy with the tools too

Blog Entries
    I love your table. I too bookmarked it and hope DH will build it next year when I get my quilting room.

Excellent job! Before I bought my HQ, I did sort of the same thing. Bought a sofa table at a garage sale for $10, then had hubby put 1/2 sheet of plywood of top. We then cut a hole and buried my machine, similar to yours, only all the way around. I covered the table with floor tiles, and had a lot of room for quilting! It also served as my cutting table, as I could put my bigger cutting on it as well. I used it for 3-4 years, then finally went a little larger :)

Good creative thinking! Enjoy :)

Great job! Very creative.

Fantastic!

What a great tool. Thanks for the info wished I knew how to use power tools ( I will leave those to hubby)

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now patent that and make a few million! You have a great idea. How is it working out for your Mom? WoW, you are creative.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

What a great idea!!!!!! And I suppose the key to success is having the vinyl stretched tight and secure, then quilt just slides right over it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoby
    Excellent job! Before I bought my HQ, I did sort of the same thing. Bought a sofa table at a garage sale for $10, then had hubby put 1/2 sheet of plywood of top. We then cut a hole and buried my machine, similar to yours, only all the way around. I covered the table with floor tiles, and had a lot of room for quilting! It also served as my cutting table, as I could put my bigger cutting on it as well. I used it for 3-4 years, then finally went a little larger :)

Good creative thinking! Enjoy :)
    Wow....what another great idea. I learn the greatest things on this board! If I keep coming up with projects for hubby though ....he's going to put a ban on this site. LOL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast