Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Make This Panel More Girl Friendly.

My oldest daughter has always been our girly girl and my youngest daughter has always been our tomboy. It seems that they've been rubbing off on each other in the past year as my youngest daughter changed her favorite color to pink (though she's still a Giants football fan) and my oldest daughter still loves her Cinderella dolls but recently started loving dinosaurs. A friend gave me this fabric panel of dinosaurs and I was attempting to make it into a simple wall hanging when my daughter asked me to make into a quilt for her bed.

My question is this; she's still mainly a girly girl but wants this very drab fabric panel made into a bed quilt that's not too drab for her girly tastes. I'm coming up blank here. If I were making it for a boy, I would use lots of forest colors in it but not sure what to do with it as a girls quilt. I was thinking of using an autumn yellowish-orange-red (using the colors in the background of the panel and the reddish oranges in the dinosaurs) to brighten it up a bit and making this the center, but I'm just not entirely sure.

This is the panel. I will be trimming off the green borders around the edge and perhaps trimming and reincorporating "The World Of Dinosaurs" into another part of the quilt.
    Name:  Attachment-198498.jpe
Views: 85
Size:  53.0 KB

I see some nice purple shades in there too - would go nicely with the autumn shades.

I think golds and bright greens would be beautiful. Maybe in batiks with lots of swirls?

Blog Entries
    I like the lavender/purple Idea too. Keep us posted to what you chose.:)

Pale yellows and lavendars would make it very pretty.

gold, ruby, amethyst, and emerald

what girl doesn't love jewelry and jewel colors

If your daughter likes the color purple, I too see that as being a great choice. I also like the batik idea, I'm sure you can find some great purple batiks that bring in fragments of some of the other colors of the panel to make it tie together. This sounds like a fun creative project, I can't wait to see what you come up with, make sure you post it for us!

i would say shades of purples and greens with a small to slightly medium paisley print.

Maybe have your daughter help pick out coordinating fabrics that she would like to go with the panel. Then you know that she will like the end result.

I like greens and purples with a dash of yellow or gold for your other fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I'm seeing a log cabin border with purple on the dark side and pinky mauves on the light side. Batiks would be perfect. You can go back to a green/lavender batik for the outside border after a stopper strip of any strong color.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I'm seeing a log cabin border with purple on the dark side and pinky mauves on the light side. Batiks would be perfect. You can go back to a green/lavender batik for the outside border after a stopper strip of any strong color.
    Oh that sounds beautiful!

Blog Entries
    golds and purple

Ooh, there are so many good ideas in here. I like the thought of a log cabin look and I didn't even notice the purple tones until you mentioned it. I'm thinking a log cabin with purple for the dark side and maybe the honey orange colors for the lighter side? The honey orange colors I was thinking of were inspired by some Hoffman batiks I saw recently so I love that you all thought of batiks, too.

Purples and golds, maybe some fern/fossil kind of fabric as well.

To make it more girly, I would use gingham around the edges.

Another thought would be to cut up the panel and do it into an attic window design and you could make the rest of it girly, so it would look like a girls room looking out into a dino garden?

Just noticed the possums in the upper left corner...didn't know they were around when the dinos were, lol. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    To make it more girly, I would use gingham around the edges.

Another thought would be to cut up the panel and do it into an attic window design and you could make the rest of it girly, so it would look like a girls room looking out into a dino garden?

Just noticed the possums in the upper left corner...didn't know they were around when the dinos were, lol. Good luck
    I love the garden idea - I'd ignore the golds and go for the greens and blue-greens/blues and fade to feminine pastels from there. I missed the purple but use that and fade to lilac. Love the gingham idea too. My girly-girl would never have done gold or orange or yellow, too traditionalist for it. :) :) :)

Colours already discussed .... play with the fabric and look for prints that will go with it, yet are more girly-girly.

I like the idea of log cabins with the panel, though it might be hard to keep it girly-girly. Maybe look for florals? Or consider another pattern that would keep the femininity in thru the pattern chosen.

ITA with the PP who suggested gettng your daughter involved. Let her help choose the fabrics and work up the design plan with you. You may be surprised as to how she'll turn it around from what you'd do ... and yet have it turn out great!

You didnt mention how old your daughter is. Maybe this is a good project for her to get involved and do some sewing!

lol... I would try to find a way to make another pieced dinosaur on the quilt with a girly bow.

... or embellish what's there? Maybe they need some sparkly jewels on them too? and some pearls?

I've been thinking about lace! ... you can sometimes get heavy cotton lace in colours ... and inset it here and there, or a wide piece, overlaid as one of the borders.

Not sure how big the panel is and if this is doable?... what about fussy cutting and then piecing around to build them out, rather than keeping the whole panel together.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    Pale yellows and lavendars would make it very pretty.
    I like these colors also with pale greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150
    My oldest daughter has always been our girly girl and my youngest daughter has always been our tomboy. It seems that they've been rubbing off on each other in the past year as my youngest daughter changed her favorite color to pink (though she's still a Giants football fan) and my oldest daughter still loves her Cinderella dolls but recently started loving dinosaurs. A friend gave me this fabric panel of dinosaurs and I was attempting to make it into a simple wall hanging when my daughter asked me to make into a quilt for her bed.

My question is this; she's still mainly a girly girl but wants this very drab fabric panel made into a bed quilt that's not too drab for her girly tastes. I'm coming up blank here. If I were making it for a boy, I would use lots of forest colors in it but not sure what to do with it as a girls quilt. I was thinking of using an autumn yellowish-orange-red (using the colors in the background of the panel and the reddish oranges in the dinosaurs) to brighten it up a bit and making this the center, but I'm just not entirely sure.
    Would love to know where your friend got this panel. My DH is a paleontologist and I would love to get this for him. I've wanted to make him a quilt for a long time and this would be perfect!!

And why can't girls like the forest colors? I wouldn't make it too bright or it will detract from the panel and make it look washed out.

QM
    Nice panel. I like the color suggestions. Another critter from that period is the dragonfly, although they were bigger then. You might want to incorporate them, and maybe ginko leaves.

patchwork with greens and whites or creams. It really doesn't have to be fru fru for a girl. Give her lots of pillows to put with it. Good luck. Post what you do later. I will be glad to see.

Blog Entries
    Applique bows on their bony little heads?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast