Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
How to quilt border of grandson's alphabet quilt >

How to quilt border of grandson's alphabet quilt

How to quilt border of grandson's alphabet quilt

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 AM

That is adorable. How did you do the lettering in Owen's name? Is there a pattern for that?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Have to tell you this one....My 4-year-old son was walking by my computer, saw your pic and commented about Blue. Then he asked me if that was a game.....I said no, that is a quilt. He said, "I love it. I want that quilt." See...it passes the kid test 100%. I have to agree with him....I love it.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
That is adorable. How did you do the lettering in Owen's name? Is there a pattern for that?
I basically just drew the letters on paper, adding the circles because that's the style of lettering in the panel. Traced them onto the fusible web (have to admit a made a couple of mistakes, resulting in backwards letters), fused the web to the brown fabric, cut them out, then fused the letters to the background green. I used a machine zigzag to firmly attach them to the quilt.

This is pretty much the same method I used for Blue (and Blue's clue :-) ). But Blue took me most of a day, counting the search online for the most appropriate Blue, resizing her to fit the block, cutting all the pieces (including her spots, nose, tongue). I used a sigma pen to outline her eyes but her irises are stitched in (satin stitch).
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM

WOW this is great. I am in the middle of doing my new Grandson's alphabet quilt and his name is Owen as well. How funny. Yours is done and mine will be soon. Yours is great.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by rosemaynes
WOW this is great. I am in the middle of doing my new Grandson's alphabet quilt and his name is Owen as well. How funny. Yours is done and mine will be soon. Yours is great.
Amazing. Pictures?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
Amazing. Pictures?
Here is my Grandson Owen's quilt.

The entire thing is a panel and I added the check border and the charms to the last border.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149866[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149861.jpe  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Amazing. Pictures?
Here is my Grandson Owen's quilt.
So cute!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Really sweet :!:
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 AM

My grandson's first birthday is coming soon...made him this animal alphabet quilt starting with a panel that I cut up and put back together with sashing and a few extra squares (and his name). I spent a ton of time constructing an applique of Blue (of Blue's Clues) :-)

The main part of the top is quilted (I put letters in the alphabet boxes, although they are hard to see). I'm happy with the sashing design but don't know how to quilt the teal borders. Any suggestions? [You can still see some chalk marks on the quilt.]

I love, love your quilt ! How about quilting the letters of the alphabet around the border in no particular order.
Also, the backing is the brown/turquoise batik, but I'm not sure whether to use it for the binding or use the dark brown. Your thoughts?

Thanks for looking!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 AM

This is so cute it makes me want to make one for my new grand daughter who is only 5 mths. old. Where did you get the little alphabet blocks? I'll have to keep my eyes open for some. I'm sure it will be much loved.