Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Humility is done >

Humility is done

Humility is done

Old 12-12-2016, 05:54 AM

Default Humility is done

Here is my first ever quilt. Enjoyed the process a lot. Learned a lot. The binding gave me some serious trouble. But, now I have as many mistakes accomplished that can be done. The next one can only be better. Now these photos were taken right after I finished hand sewing the back of the binding on, before washing. May my next project come out looking a whole lot better. I have watched Leah Day's video on binding this morning. It was the same as MissouriStar, but close ups of Leah Day's showed me where I went wrong.
Attached Thumbnails humility-back-binding.jpg   humility-corner-binding.jpg   humility-front-binding.jpg   humility-seam-joining.jpg   humility.jpg  

Old 12-12-2016, 06:07 AM

I love the colors and the pattern. This is a fine first quilt. Your squares match up well. Whoever gets this quilt is going to be very lucky.

You should have seen my first quilts. Nowhere near as good as this. Especially the binding and matching the squares. I gave them to my kids and they think they're masterpieces. They still have them and use them 8 years later. My motto, from my father in law is "It'll never be noticed on a galloping horse and that's the only kind I ride."

Here is a video from Angela Walters that I think would be very beneficial to you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGyYSJhk0QA It's not about technique, its about our attitude towards our work. It really helped me.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:31 AM

I love it, love the pattern and the colors. You did very well for your first quilt.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:32 AM

You did an amazing job! Be proud of yourself, it turned out lovely. Your seams match up nicely and it is very cheerful. We all start at the beginning and learn from mistakes. Some of us are still learning
Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

nicely done
Old 12-12-2016, 06:46 AM

Love it! You should be very proud. Nice job and oh so cheery.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:03 AM

Thank you for all the nice support. To be honest, the only reason I chose such bright and vibrant color yellow is: I wanted my mistakes to be easily seen so I can learn from the mistakes. A darker fabric would of been too easy for me to by pass mistakes. I have realized that for every mistake made I could and did find a positive. So that is what keeps me wanting to try. I have learned so much. I can only get better. And with all your knowledge and expertise I am sure I will get better.

I do have the fabric to start a table runner of sorts. ( it is actually going to cover a cedar chest my mom gave me that she has had for over 60 yrs.) . Right now I am getting the planning part of it mastered. I know what pattern I am going to try. Bought a yard of extra fabric just in case I think I know how I will quilt it. So, perhaps later today I will start cutting my fabric and prep the machine with new thread and bobbins and start tomorrow. We are being bombarded with snow and it is pretty gloomy and lighting isn't what I want to work with when it comes to sewing.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:27 AM

It's a great, fun quilt. Very impressive for a 1st quilt! My first quilt (from the 1980's) didn't have binding because I didn't know how to do it. I just stay-stitched around the edges. So...good binding on yours!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:13 AM

You have a lovely quilt. Enjoy it, and as you progress in your quilting, you will be happy that you enjoyed your first quilt. Oh, be sure to keep it for the treasure it is.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:22 AM

Good job! And, that binding looks like it will stay down where it's supposed to be, so that's great.

Watson