Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I am NOT proud of this! >

I am NOT proud of this!

I am NOT proud of this!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM

We are so critical of ourselves aren't we?

You did a great job, really you did. The 'quilt police' are not going to arrest you, LOL. And the quilt will be loved for sure.

But I know what you mean...I enjoy FMQ and hate it at the same time. I just cannot keep my hands flat, I always end up grabbing a hank of quilt to guide it along and always wish that throat on the machine wasn't there cuz I'm butting up to it all the time and it ruins the nice rhythm that I got going.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 PM

You should be proud, I am not brave enough to even stat free motion.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Ok first I took a class once and she had us about half way through try to follow the lines of a pattern. Guess what that was harder then free random motion. Get some heavy felt to practice on so you don't have to keep sandwiching fabric and pretend you are going downhill and holding back and your hands are out and you are floating. Or pretend you are on the phone and are doodling. Make it free and easy and think of the needle as the end of your pencil. You will learn by the sound of your machine how fast to go to keep the fabric going at a good rate. Hope I have helped and it does take practice just learning to drive a car. We were just younger and bolder then so we did not have any fear.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM

I'm Russian-German, which means stubborn so I WILL keep at it until I feel comfortable doing it and by then, I hope, I'll be good at it. I think it will be really fun when I get the hang of it and I like the idea of pot holders or a heavy piece of felt to practice on.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
When I fmq I don't even bother with drawing a pattern but I have only done small projects, potholders, christmas stockings etc and therefore my very random pattern works. I once had a friend that told me that fmq goes much better with a glass of wine sitting next to your sewing machine. I am not sure if it makes the my quilting any better but I become less critical of myself (lol)
I took a FMQ class last year at a quilt convention and the instructor gave us the wine hint :-). However, we agreed it might be better to stick with white wine.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM

That is what I said when I made my first one. I have so far only made 2 baby quilts. Yours looks pretty good to me. Like someone has told me before practice, practice, and practice.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by cande
Made this small lap robe, about 50"X36" because I wanted to try my hand at a pinwheel pattern using some scraps I had. Got it into my head that I'd like to try free motion quilting (WHAT was I thinking!!) so went to Amazon and ordered the foot - which , btw, was very affordable, less than $10. with S&H. So yesterday, I decided to bite the bullet, grabbed a small chunk of soap, drew out the design (if that's what you want to call it) and went to town. Good God gertie, by the time I got done. I was sweating bullets! I had a heck of a time staying on my chalk markings, keeping the speed constant, moving the quilt with half of it rolled up in the throat. It was NOT a pleasant experience! Showed it to hubby; bless his heart, he told me it wasn't bad for my first attempt and practice makes perfect, etc., etc. to keep it up and soon I'd get the hang of it. Well, it's going to take a LOT of practice. My admiration for you that have mastered the art of free motion quilting has risen way up! Don't know if you can see in the pics but it's not pretty This is my entry in the ugly quilt contest!

WOW you sure have done better than I would have done! Im afraid to attempt it! Keep going, you have done wonderful!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 PM

it looks very good i think you did a nice job keep it up
Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM

Do you have your foot down when you FMQ and have no tension on top? You need to have it down.

I think that is good for a first attempt, and I really like the quilt!

Cricket
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM

I am Russian German, too!!! I know what you mean about stubbornness. It is hard to shake!! We champion determined souls!