Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I am so excited to post my progress on my Ohmigosh Quilt--6119 pieces down, 3822 left >

I am so excited to post my progress on my Ohmigosh Quilt--6119 pieces down, 3822 left

I am so excited to post my progress on my Ohmigosh Quilt--6119 pieces down, 3822 left

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM

You are ambitious, but looks like you are making great progress on a beautiful quilt. What are the sizes of the blocks?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Aptly named Ohmygosh it is really! beautiful!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM

Stunning seems too tame a word to describe this quilt!! I can't imagine myself ever attempting something like that, not because I don't have the skill but because I'd get too bored. I'm glad you are not like me and posted this pic. I've enjoyed looking at your progress and admiring your skill. The blocks look very small, too. Keep up the terrific work!!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 AM

that is awesome... love it... if it needs a home contact me.. make sure it is done.. cuz i wouldnt do it... but absolutley love it... smile
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM

This is amazing! I could never take on a project of that magnitude. Yours looks great, so please share it with us when it's finished.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM

Omigosh is right! The fabric selection alone would overwhelm me. Nice work! Keep at it.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM

First off, thank you all for the nice comments. I am still relatively new to quilting (and sewing) and am all self-taught. I saw the Dear Jane quilts sometime last spring for the first time and was blown away at how beautiful it was. But, I knew that it would take me years to accumulate the skills before I would be ready to tackle that. Shortly after that, through a google search, I found the Omigosh quilt. This quilt really doesn't require a great deal of quilting skills other than precision and patience. You have to be able to make a 4 patch and then put it on point; HST; and then lots and lots of 9 patches. Not too bad.

This quilt is a Suan Garman design and is called "Omigosh". She named it after the comments from her friends as she was assembling it at a retreat. It would appear she is from the upper midwest. If she was from Southern California, it would have been named OMG. Looking at Susan's other patterns, I would say she is the queen of drive you insane small piece quilts. They are all really stunning.

The quilt finishes at 70 by 88 inches but varyies depending on how you border it.

The tiny 9 patches finish at 1.5 inches (each square in the tiny 9 patches finishes at 1/2 inch). The double 9 patch and the shoofly block finish at 4.5 inches. There are 110 double 9 patches and 111 shoofly blocks. Within the double 9 patches, there are 550 tiny 9 patches. Within the shoofly blocks, there are 444 4 patches on point.

I would never tackle this quilt with pieces already cut up in 1 inch squares (I saw a blog where someone was starting this quilt and had bins and bins of cut up 1 inch squares)!!! That would be insanity. There are ways to strip piece this that make the process much easier. I discovered that even keeping the long strip pieces together while making the 4 patches and 9 patches make the blocks straighter and much easier as well. I imagine most people who have make this quilt discovered this process eventually. I had only cut up a few of my strip sets before I realized this. Sew the pieced 2 or 3 piece strip sets together, rights sides together with white squares off-set, then press open, then cut so they are exactly .75 inches on each side of the seam.

Since before i even started this quilt, I have been wondering how I want to quilt it??? That will be something that will have to be carefully considered. I believe all the examples I have found online (there are not too many) have used an all over meander. I definitely want something more special but not sure what.

Last edited by AngelinaMaria; 01-13-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM

My goodness, you have undertaken a mighty job but the results will be spectacular. It looks like a once in a lifetime quilt. Best of luck.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Omg...that's amazing!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM

WOW is the best word I can come up with!!! It describes the quality of your work, the choice of your colors, and your willingness to undertake such a HUGE project. ~What a BEAUTIFUL quilt~