Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: I found this in my mother in law's closet!

  1. #1
    Senior Member tortoisethreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    378
    What is it about these heavy vintage machines? I love them!!! I found this today and have asked to "borrow" it for a while. I love it. It sews so smoothly! I may have to adopt it for my own!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    Wonderful find. I wish I had my first machine back.

  3. #3
    Super Member hobo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boonsboro, MD
    Posts
    2,724
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow! Thats a good one...

  4. #4
    Member Tonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    39
    What color is it? It looks just like the one I have!!!!

  5. #5
    Super Member KatFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,081
    Blog Entries
    8
    We love them because they sew like a dream with those all metal gears. Love all of mine Singers, 221 Feather Weight, 301A, 223, 401 and 501A. Some how I have ended up with 10 sewing machines. I thought of getting rid of a few, but then I remember DH has 10 fishing rods, so I can keep them all. :-D

  6. #6
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    26,721
    Wow! That looks like one my mom used to have. Not sure what ever happened to it though~
    Congrats on your find!!

  7. #7
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    They were made to last unlike most of the machines nowadays!

  8. #8
    Senior Member tortoisethreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    378
    I like how my Viking is dwarfed in the background! The machine is tan. I've already started my next quilt on it. She also has a treadle in her basement. I may have to borrow that one too!!!

  9. #9
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,996
    Blog Entries
    1
    Luck you, what a find. Enjoy it and have fun.

  10. #10
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,890
    Yeah!

  11. #11
    Senior Member mom2suki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    626
    I know what you mean. I still have my grandmother's old portable Singer, the one I made my first quilt with. Can't bear to part with it!!

  12. #12
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,347
    Great looking machine, hope she lets you have it. I have a 328K Singer machine we bought in 1963.

  13. #13
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,285
    Looks really good...I'd be borrowing that treadle if she will let you. Oldies but goodies!

  14. #14
    Super Member quiltinghere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Longarm Quilter NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    We love them because they sew like a dream with those all metal gears. Love all of mine Singers, 221 Feather Weight, 301A, 223, 401 and 501A. Some how I have ended up with 10 sewing machines. I thought of getting rid of a few, but then I remember DH has 10 fishing rods, so I can keep them all. :-D
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud . . . and making me 'prepared' for a quick response when asked "why do you need so many sewing machines". ROFL!!!!

  15. #15
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    What a nice find... since it was in the closet, maybe she won't miss it for several years :wink: Maybe as many as 30 or 40 :lol:
    Have fun with it :thumbup:

  16. #16
    mygirl66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    1,697
    WOW! I think I would want to keep it too!

  17. #17
    Super Member 2 Doods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW Oregon
    Posts
    1,816
    Great find!
    That is how I got my Bernina!
    Enjoy!

  18. #18
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    That one is a beauty. What a find. I'm glad you rescued it from the closet and are sewing with it. See if she will let you have it.

  19. #19
    shikha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    41
    Great find. Happy sewing :)

  20. #20
    Senior Member kathyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    913
    I may have to ask my MIL if I can borrow her machine. I haven't seen it out of the cabinet for years. She bought one recently at Wal-Mart but I don't think anything was wrong with the old one. I'm sure the old one is a workhorse because she raised 4 sons on a farm with all those jeans and overalls that needed mending.
    Maybe I'll mention that for Christmas, hahahah.

  21. #21
    Senior Member mosquitosewgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    We love them because they sew like a dream with those all metal gears. Love all of mine Singers, 221 Feather Weight, 301A, 223, 401 and 501A. Some how I have ended up with 10 sewing machines. I thought of getting rid of a few, but then I remember DH has 10 fishing rods, so I can keep them all. :-D
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud . . . and making me 'prepared' for a quick response when asked "why do you need so many sewing machines". ROFL!!!!
    No kidding. My husband's favorite answer when asked how many fly fishing rods he needs is just one....more. Now I won't feel so guilty about having a couple of sewing machines and a serger. LOL

  22. #22
    Super Member KatFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,081
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    We love them because they sew like a dream with those all metal gears. Love all of mine Singers, 221 Feather Weight, 301A, 223, 401 and 501A. Some how I have ended up with 10 sewing machines. I thought of getting rid of a few, but then I remember DH has 10 fishing rods, so I can keep them all. :-D
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud . . . and making me 'prepared' for a quick response when asked "why do you need so many sewing machines". ROFL!!!!
    No kidding. My husband's favorite answer when asked how many fly fishing rods he needs is just one....more. Now I won't feel so guilty about having a couple of sewing machines and a serger. LOL
    My DH also has 8 guns, a boat and kiyak I uses for leverage.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Macon, Ga
    Posts
    273
    I still have my first machine--a Singer-- purchased by my husband for me in 1948 because he thought I needed a machine to hem a dress. I never told him otherwise! The machine is still in good sewing condition and makes a prettier stitch than most of the newer machines.

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    157
    I have one just like it and sew on it nightly. It belong to my grandmother before it became mine. Do you have both Knee and foot controls? I love using the knee control for mine.

    Happy Quilting to you!!!!

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Saugus, MA
    Posts
    665
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    What is it about these heavy vintage machines? I love them!!! I found this today and have asked to "borrow" it for a while. I love it. It sews so smoothly! I may have to adopt it for my own!
    My machine is exactly the same except in a cabinet. It's a Singer Stylus 457 Zig Zag and I absolutely love it. It was a gift from my DH around 1967. I stil have it and wouldn't part with it. Hope you get as much pleasure from yours as I have with mine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.