Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need help.

I need help.

Hello everyone. This is the first thread I have started since I become a member of the QB. I really need help with some fabric I have. The first fabric is the main fabric. I have 1 yard. I don't want to cut it up, so I really need some ideas on how to make a quilt (lap size) with this. There are some brilliant quilters on here so would you please help me. The other 2 fabrics are 1 yard apiece also. My mind has went blank. I can't think of how to use this beautiful fabric. Someone please please help me. Thank you all so much. Brenda Joy
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is pretty fabric. Sometimes it's hard to cut up a fabric when you like the pattern. I suppose you could use it as a center panel and make small blocks from the other fabrics to make a border, or just cut borders from the other fabrics. If you want to make blocks out of the flower fabric you could fussy cut and use it as a whole block. Hope others are able to give you better advise. Please post the finished quilt so we can see what you decided to do.

I agree it's too pretty to cut up.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I would use the focus fabric as a center panel and cut strips of the other two for borders. Narrower inner one of the lavender and wider outer one of the green.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Thank you all so much. Everyone on here is awesome and so ready and willing to help others. I am glad that I am a part of this great community. Brenda Joy

Blog Entries
    Use the lilac and green for borders and binding-good luck on how to quilt it though there are so many options-It is georgeous fabric

Use the print fabric as a center panel. Use the two solids to make pinwheel border blocks.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

if you don't want to cut it- but want more than just the solid fabric center - what about making some thin straight finished strips - like you would do for bias strips for stained glass quilts - and do an asymetical pattern of strips to make what look like different blocks, highlighting the birds. hand sew them on, then you could just stitch in the ditch next to the strips. I'm not explaining this very well, but can see it in my head. Anyone else get what i mean and can explain it better???

Blog Entries
    Use your pretty print as a backing for your quilt - center it and put borders around it to make it big enough.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I'd make a checkered border out of the two fabrics you have, that would look nice.

Use the solids to make a cool border such as flying geese or ribbon on even a french braid. There are so many choices... Have fun with it.

Or lattice work over the flowers. would make a pretty quilt. joyce j

Blog Entries
    I would use it for a center panel and use the other two colors as half square triangles. There are just some fabrics that are so pretty that it's very nice to use as the center panel. In my MHO, I would definitely NOT use it on the back.

Your two fabrics would also make beauitful piano key border or they would look lovely as pinwheel blocks too.
    Lori - MamaBear

I would fussy cut blocks from the flower/bird portion of your print and use the other two fabrics to build your quilt around the fussy cut blocks. All are really pretty fabrics. Please be sure to let us see your finished project. Thanks for sharing.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia77 View Post
    I'd make a checkered border out of the two fabrics you have, that would look nice.
    That was my first thought.

I would use the fabric like a panel and put a thin border around it with the pink(1 1/2")-then find a soft charcoal gray and add a little larger border (2") the some how mix the green and pink (and maybe some of the charcoal) Like checkerboard or braids or flying geese. The fabric is beautiful, what line is it? I recognize the "fairy frost" pink and green but not the print.

first, how did you walk away from that fabric at the LQS with only buying one yard?? LOL. It is beautiful. So are your fairy frosts. But IMHO, you need another color value to add in. Your two fairy frosts are definitely mediums to light in value. Your print would qualify as a light. You need more contrast so a dark would be in order. Otherwise, I fear your completed lap quilt may end up looking a bit washed out due to almost no contrast. I see at least two or three darks in your focus fabric you could pull from. The deep rose, the deep greenish gray in the rose leaves or one of the dark greys that are in the birds.

I agree with the posters who say use your focus as a panel in the center then build out around it round robin style. The design in your print that is just above the word "Rosa" I would try to find a block design that somewhat mimics that. Try Quilters Cache http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html I am sure there would be something in there that would somewhat mimic that. I browsed for just a minute and found this one:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CainandAbelBlock.html
    It makes a 10" block.

If this were mine, I would audition a very thin dark border around my focus fabric, like finish at 1/2" (so that would be a 1" cut of strips). Maybe up to 1" but no wider. I would add a solid white or a WOW fabric to the mix that matches the focus and make blocks that mimic that "tile", for lack of a better word, with the white and one, or both of the fairy frosts and maybe even a touch of the dark. I would do one row of those. Either all green, all lilac/rose or alternating between the two colors. I would have to audition to see which I liked better. I may put another dark narrow border, that you never know until you get laid out on a design wall. The next row I think a lilac and green checkerboard would be lovely but it may need more dark or more white so you may opt to do one of the fairy frosts and a dark or white to make the checkerboard. Again I would not make my finished squares much larger than 2" square. The size would be determined by how big your quilt is at this point and you would want a size that is evenly divisible. By this round you should have a fairly good size lap quilt. Use your leftover fairy frosts for a srappy binding.
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-24-2012 at 05:05 AM.

I don't know what your skill level is but a narrow border of the red in the flowers and then some drunkard's path blocks for a larger border in the lavender and green would emphasize the curved lacy design in the print then a red binding would draw the eye to the flowers.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Debbie B, use it as a center block and built out. wonderful fabric
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Blog Entries
    Check out this pattern: Variations on a Theme by Mauri Richey. The fabric on the example on pattern cover is very similar to your fabric.
    Lucky

You might also look at the book 9 patch pizzaz - she has some great ideas using a large focal print.

Oh, the fabrics are so pretty. One thing = with only one yard each of the other 2 fabrics you may not have enough fabric to make the size quilt you want. Someone suggested adding one or more colors which is a good idea as the additional fabirc you can make a larger quilt.

Thank you all. I am pretty new to making quilts. I have made a couple nothing to brag about. Lol. I am going to find a few more fabrics to go with these. I never even thought about darker fabrics. Such a good idea. You guys are wonderful. Thank you all again. Brenda Joy

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Use the print fabric as a center panel. Use the two solids to make pinwheel border blocks.
    That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the fabric!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast