Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need your help to learn >

I need your help to learn

I need your help to learn

Old 06-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Default I need your help to learn

I need your help to learn.
I am self-taught and learn from books or tutorials that generously share all on the Web.
But there is a lesson that I did not find yet. Learn to "read" a top to find out what type of quilting requires.
That is why I have most of my work unfinished. And it is my intention to finish to be able to move forward.
I wanted to know if it is possible, I publish a photo of my top to complete them (either mini or large) and you give me ideas on how learning to "see" to learn how to do the quilting.
I have a home sewing machine, it is a ELNA Q6600, in which I can make straight quilting or free motion. And I think it's time to learn what my machine is capable of doing... not me! Hahahaha!
To begin show them pictures of my first two works. An Appliqué to machine (with invisible thread) and a Paper Piecing. Both have thousands of errors (seen today with three years of experience), but I'll leave them so to remind me of my early days.
I ask with all my heart each of your comments and to share their knowledge with me!
A big hug to all!
Attached Thumbnails 1%B0-appliqu%E9-m%E1quina.jpg   2%B0-casitas-paper-piecing.jpg  

Last edited by GV09; 06-27-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 PM

I'm anxious to see the replies. I have a hard time with that sometimes also.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!

Your work is beautiful! Sorry I can't be of any help with the quilting question; I tend to just quilt to keep it together, rather than do anything fancy.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 AM

Those are cute! If they were mine, on the first one with the applique, I'd echo once around the appliques and do a small design in the background to make the appliques pop! Check out Leah Day's website for a multitude of filler designs.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm

On the one with the houses, I'd quilt each area for what it is, grass, sky w/clouds, bricks or such on houses, leaves or branches on the trees, curtains in the windows, smoke from the chimneys, etc.

Have fun!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Power Poster

browse books of quilts, magazines, on line galleries and pay attention to the quilting on all the different quilts you browse- with time you will see how different quilts are quilted & start getting your own ideas on how yours should be- often appliqued quilts are (echo) quilted around the appliques then some background quilting is done- stippling, or cross-hatch- a meandering all over-
you can enhance/embellish the actual appliques- like stitching shingles on a roof, lines of doors/windows- (like embroidering to enhance a design) there are so many options and it really is a personal choice- look through galleries that feature the type of quilts you are making & see how they are quilted- you will be inspired & figure out what you like & don't like
Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 AM
Banned

If I'm quilting something myself, which is rare, I'm like Neesie - I quilt to keep the layers together.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 AM

I really think you quilt something however you want too. I don't think a book is going to tell you how to quilt a quilt. If there was such a thing then every quilt would look the same.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 AM

I, too, quilt my own quilts. I tend to keep it simple. On the applique I would do echo quilting around the designs and do a simple vine type quilting with leaves, stars, or hearts in the border.
For the pp one, perhaps, stitch in the ditch around each design or an all over meander. I do like the idea of doing designs to enhance the items, such as roof designs, pine needles etc.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 AM

I'm real bad about shadow quilting. That is going around the outside of a block or design about a 1/2 inch from the seam line. Then in the open places I either make my own designs or use a template for a quilting design I think would be pretty or appropriate. Go with your gut. Look at it and feel of it and it will "tell" you what to do.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 AM

Both quilts are wonderful. I especially like the little quilt on the second one. For the first I think I would echo quilt around each design about 3 times and then stitch-in-the-ditch on the seam lines. If it still needs some quilting, I would do a small stipple outside the echo stitching.

I would just stitch-in-the-ditch on the second one.

You do great work for such a new quilter.