Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I took my sewing machine camping for the first time this weekend

I took my sewing machine camping for the first time this weekend

Inspired by others on this board, I took my sewing machine camping for the very first time this weekend. It was awesome!!! The first day I worked outside, but it was just way too hot. A camper a few spaces down was sewing in her trailer, so I did the same the following day. I am working on Angela Walters tikki tote pattern. My goal is to make 5 for our women's gift exchange at church this Christmas.

Janelle
    Attached Images Attached Images

So pretty, Janelle!!!
    I'm so sick of the heat. We had a few days respite and now it's back. I'm wilted

Power Poster
    ​Well done!

Excellent! We’re back to extreme heat as well.
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Thumbs up to you! If I was a camper I would be doing that.Great progress on the bags , great idea.

Blog Entries
    great going
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Thank you so much for all the kind compliments. I really like this pattern; my first time attempting it. It looks more complicated than it is
    It is so very hot right now here in Kentuckiana. I think we will postpone our Sept trip to late October in hopes that we can spend a little more time outside the trailer.

Janelle

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the finished totes. Enjoy your camping! We camp in the winter time in FL

That is really pretty. Love the fabric choices and braid patterns are always a favorite of mine. Quilter's can sew anywhere..lol... Love it..
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

They will be gorgeous with the pattern and colors. Everyone will love them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Good start and going to be great projects. Please share a picture of your progress.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I definitely want to see the finished tote. I'm beyond the camping stage in my life (we were tent and backpackers--too dang "stove up" for that) but I have and probably will again, take a machine with me when I go with DH to his writer's conference in Eureka Springs AR--keeps me from spending $$ all day/every day!

Way to go! You are doing great getting started this early for your gift exchange. Your fabrics are lovely in the pattern you chose.

Blog Entries
    Awesome project for hot days...please don’t forget to post finished photos.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I always take my sewing machine when I go camping. I love sewing in my 5th wheel. The view is usually beautiful, and it is so peaceful!

I always take my Featherweight when we go camping. Mostly I sew inside the camper because so many people stop to talk that I don't get much done. I just try to prepare things to do so I sew and press. I try not to have to cut projects because of the amount of space needed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    I always take my Featherweight when we go camping. Mostly I sew inside the camper because so many people stop to talk that I don't get much done. I just try to prepare things to do so I sew and press. I try not to have to cut projects because of the amount of space needed to do that.
    I definitely need to do the same and cut before I leave. Then I can enjoy more time sewing

Janelle

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    I definitely want to see the finished tote. I'm beyond the camping stage in my life (we were tent and backpackers--too dang "stove up" for that) but I have and probably will again, take a machine with me when I go with DH to his writer's conference in Eureka Springs AR--keeps me from spending $$ all day/every day!
    I went along on one of dh's business trips last year. I refer to it as my favorite vacation It was the week of my bday and I spent the days sewing, xstitching, and reading in the hotel room, swimming in the indoor pool, and going to dinner with dh at night. It was the very first time I had traveled with a machine. And, there was a JoAnn's across the street from our hotel. Perfect trip

Janelle

I hope to make more progress this weekend. Work is way too busy this week, one coworker is on vacay, so sewing at night won't happen. I'll post pics as they come together.
    This first one is entirely made of scraps so it has been free to make! Those are my favorite projects
    Thanks again for the sweet and encouraging words.

Janelle

Very pretty.

I love your project! I always take my machine when we go camping … we usually don't go to far due to my husband's job but it's nice to get away (a change is as good as a rest). I get so much accomplished when we camp! Enjoy!

I think it was Sharlene Jorgenson's first quilting book that she described how she and a friend stayed at their RV campsite and sewed while their husbands attended a seminar in efforts to re-invent their jobs or come up with an idea for a new business. Sharlene's husband came back with a new acrylic sheet of plastic like material that they soon began cutting templates from. That eventually grew into their home business and "Quilting From The Heartland" was born. Somewhere in all my saved junk is an article about a woman quilter who arranged her tools, supplies, etc in their small RV so she could work wherever she wanted. Fabric, batting, and large pieces were rolled up in the drapes and curtains. Cutting surfaces were stashed under the mattress.
    So sorry you are suffering from the heat. Here in SW WA my husband is complaining that he is cold. We are situated under giant sequoias, not native, but planted by someone who thought they had all the answers and the trees would bring in cash as they matured.) that keep us cool, but also threaten our house, even having roots that break up our foundation wall and clog all drains with their debris. My sister and her adult daughter would pay for plane tickets to fly our mother out to Seattle every summer to escape the hot, humid heat of the AR/MS River Delta. This did prolong our Mother's life, as she later died in the hottest summer in The Delta a few years later.

Blog Entries
    I can't wait to get on the road again and take my machine along. Never did that before but sounds like a neat thing to do in our Motor Home. Sounds like it would be peaceful to sew without many interruptions, if you are staying at one place for some time.

They look great! I live in a 5th wheel & in summer, I sew in the A/C & in winter here in Central Florida I love sewing outside on our deck.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    They look great Can't wait to see the finished project. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast