Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I WILL TRY AGAIN

DONT KNOW WHAT THESE ARE

CAME WITH FABRIC AND RULERS
    Name:  Attachment-214886.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  191.4 KB

A LOT OF 6 SIDED PIECES
    Name:  Attachment-214887.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  352.7 KB

CLOSE UP OF ONE
    Name:  Attachment-214888.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  302.8 KB

The fabric hexagons look like those we'd cut for Grandmother's Flower Garden -- except they're larger than most I've seen for that pattern.

Is that tool a fabric cutter? Not sure but it looks like a papercutter almost.

There isn't any thing on it that will cut, unless missing something. Can anyone do anything with the 7 large pieces and all those 6 sided pieces?

Blog Entries
    the 6 sided pieces are called hexagons. There are many patterns that use hexagons, including Grandmothers Flower Garden. The ones you have look big.

Ditto neeng - I'd guess a fabric/paper cutter, and those are larger sized hexagons. Maybe for a hexagon quilt, not necessarily a Flower Garden?

Yes all the single ones are larger than the 7 pieces measures tip to tip 21"x 24"

Blog Entries
    I think it is a pattern holder Like for knitting. It helps hold your place:)

Blog Entries
    It could be a pattern holder. If it wasn't originally intended for that use, it'd be great for a holder. The Hexies could go into a large hex quilt. Hexagons are so much fun! Tons of room to play with

1st pic is a paper/pattern holder. If magnetic, counted cross stitch as a line marker. Could be just a regular typing paper holder that have been used in offices for years. Nice haul!

I does look like those things we used to use to hold a letter when typing, with the piece that moved up and down to mark our place...

Pattern holder does make sense.

You r right when you said pattern holder I got it together standing up with a pattern on it. Thanks monie

Hi....from the UK...you are taking me back some 35 years with the hexagons ...first ever quilting I did aged 13 at school! I am sure they are for a hexagonal (Grandmothers garden quilt)You need to cut a piece of paper in the same shape but half an inch smaller, pin it in the middle and then hem round the paper....at school we had piles of fabric hexagons and matching piles of paper....great way to teach children a traditional way...I remember having the flower patces all over my jeans....very with it !

As for the other article...pretty sure it is a chart reader...maybe for cross stitch, the small piece looks line it is used for reading individual lines of the chart and the other bit looks like it might attach to a stand.....hopefully someone will recognise it.

Blog Entries
    I've seen that in the scrap-booking aisle

Hi...scotted around the internet and found this typist paper aid...think this is what it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes that's it!

Yup, I thought it was a typewriter stand holder too...was a secretary 100 years ago and we used them.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I think it is a pattern holder Like for knitting. It helps hold your place:)
    I agree, but I think it is for needlepoint patterns--the opening in the bar highlights the line of the pattern you are working on your fabric piece. I used to have something pretty similar. Just an idea.

Blog Entries
    It looks like something we used to hold notes we were typing from. The clear strip was used to hold the paper in place and was moved up and down to mark where we were typing.

I think the piece of equipment looks like a document holder for someone doing typing or computer work - I don't think it is a ruler for cutting fabric.
    Love the colors of the hexagons.