Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I'd love to show & tell my new Sewing Room, Please, Come on in...

what I wanted to write is that I am wishing you plenty of luck with the "creation" of the mess involved ...... :D

Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Newbie here...I wanted to show you the place where I am so happy to play, and why I prefer to be "At Home Sewing" :)

Hubby helped me make over our daughter's former room, into a sewing room. It wasn't my original plan, but somehow it happened that the furniture all came out of the Ikea "As Is" department. It me took several trips, over a couple months to find everything. I didn't sacrifice, everything I got was in perfect condition!

There are two design walls, one black and one white which I made out of builder's foam insulation board covered in felt. I love having two. I

The cutting table is counter height. It has a lot of storage space in the drawers. He put a top on it which extends off the back side by 8 inches. That makes a small counter providing room for knees underneath. The whole top is covered in a self-healing cutting mat from quiltersrule.com. Hubby trimmed the mat down just a tiny bit to fit and then trimmed out the whole top edge in birch.

The sewing machine sits on a table that was real find at $60. The entire table top raises to about chest height and lowers to table height via an hydraulic mechanism (apx. 28" - 40"). Years ago, Ikea sold these. This one was hiding in their corporate offices and was brought into the "As Is" department where I found it. I know I could never replace it. I've seen sewing tables that do the same thing sold for more $ than my mid-line Bernina! I may put a drop in this one for quilting.

Hubby also added two electrical circuits for the room and a lot of well placed halogen track lights. It's bright! :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me share! :)

More pics of the sewing room can be seen at: www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/

What are you using to hang your rulers on?

Banned
    What a awesome room

Blog Entries
    That must be an amazingly wonderful place to be.

Looks like one of those studios you see on the quilting shows. Lucky you.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    What are you using to hang your rulers on?
    My ruler organizer was made with a quarter-inch melamine sheet (plastic-coated particle board), some small stainless steel nuts and bolts which serve as the hangers, two over-the-door metal brackets and four felt protectors.

Specifics on how I made it can be read here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/2672771818/

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Looks like one of those studios you see on the quilting shows. Lucky you.
    Aw, thank you. Nearly everything in there was out of the As In bin at Ikea, so it was a fairly budget friendly decor.

You should see it today :shock: :shock:
    What a mess, I just got done with a minkee project. Between the minkee dust, tissue pattern pieces, and everything else, it looks like a bomb went off in there! :-D

Nice space.

When I grow up, I want a purdy organized room like that.

Blog Entries
    This looks like a magazine photo!!! Wow!! I love my room as it is, but yours is certainly wonderful!!! Congratulations. I can see why you would want to be AtHomeSewing. :D And welcome to the Board!!

Okay, I must ask... where is home? And can I take your hubby to Ikea and have him help me, too?! I don't often make the trip over... it's not usually worthwhile enough... but this would SO be worth it!

That is one nice sewing room you have a very caring DH that means alot. Very nice job..

Blog Entries
    I am one jealous quilter. How beautiful is that room???? I may steal a couple of your storage ideas, love the rulers on the door!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ladygen
    Okay, I must ask... where is home? And can I take your hubby to Ikea and have him help me, too?! I don't often make the trip over... it's not usually worthwhile enough... but this would SO be worth it!
    Hi Neighbor! I live NE of Woodinville! Hubby is always willing to take a trip to Ikea, where I'm sure he would encourage you to get all sorts of fun things. However, a designer he's not. He is great at helping put it all together though! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt4u
    Love your room. How is your DH with very small rooms? And can I Have him for a week or two to do my room? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
    :lol:
    After we finished the room I told him that if anything happens to me, he should suspect my single sewing gal pals! :shock: Then I suggested that he might join a local quilt guild or online quilt forum to find a replacement! :lol:

The room is 13 x 14, including the closets, so there's definitely not a future for a quilting machine in there! Any size space can be fun to plan, and some of the small ones are the cutest I've seen.

You can borrow him, but beware he is not a designer at all. However he can do modifications, and handle any electrical, phone or cable installs you might want! And, when it's all done he'll continually tell you that you need to buy more fabric to fill up all the cabinets! :D
    What!!!! Your DH actually told you that you need to buy more fabric?? OMG, he's a keeper !!!!!!

Blog Entries
    sigh what a lovely sewingroom and even the hubby who wants to fill the drawers with fabric, sigh.

What an awesome room. Are you a designer by trade? How many months did you spend thinking about all the things you wanted to include in your room and how drawers were going to be organized? I'm sure being so organized, it saves you lots of time looking for things. I'm jealous. I've seen the furniture from IKEA before on a DVD I have from Jan Krentz. It certainly seems to fit the needs of a quilter. Since you have moulding around the edges of your cutting/ironing table, how do you get the different surfaces off to change them?

What a beautiful room ...where did you find the cutting table it is just fabulous. I want one too... You are so lucky.

I'm drooling! You must be one happy quilter. :D

Beautiful room! I'm pea green with envy!!!! :mrgreen:

How are the rulers fastened to the wall?

Blog Entries
    that's one out of this world room. so pretty and neat.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I have sewing room envy. Love the design walls too. Beautiful.
    Diane
    Casa Grande, Arizona

An extremely professionally looking quilter's studio. Want to come of to my apt and help me out ???
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'm trying to be so very happy for you - having such a fantastic space .....but this little green monster keeps pulling my hair !!!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast