Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm so excited

I stopped by my mom's lastnight for a visit and she say's she has something for me. She handed me a bag and this was inside of it. My first Quilt ever! She doesn't know anything about it, other than she had bought a used double bed a few months ago and the guy who sold her the bed gave it to her since it was on the bed. He said he had no use for it. He didnt know anything about it and wasn't even sure who made it, his mother or grandmother.
    It's machine pieced, hand appliqued and hand quilted. It has some damage to it, holes and fraying but I think it's all minor and could easily be fixed. Any tips on repairing would be most welcomed. I'm not concerned on value as it will never leave my house but I would like to be able to display/use it on my bed.

know idea of what the pattern is called
    Name:  Attachment-166717.jpe
Views: 47
Size:  98.6 KB

close up of some of the applique
    Name:  Attachment-166718.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  66.6 KB

more damage
    Name:  Attachment-166731.jpe
Size:  65.4 KB

close up of on of the applique blocks
    Name:  Attachment-166732.jpe
Views: 47
Size:  63.4 KB

some of the damage
    Name:  Attachment-166789.jpe
Size:  61.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great find. Just love her.

Blog Entries
    Wow! What a wonderful quilt! Good luck with the restoration.

lucky lady sorry no advice you need expert help and it will be well worth the effort

I use to have some of those fabrics from around 25 years ago that is a beautiful quilt and so much work doing all that applique what a wonderful treasure.

What a lovely quilt. And such a treasure!
    Maureen

Aren't you glad your Mom bought the bed :!:

Aren't you glad your Mom bought the bed :!:

Blog Entries
    It's similar to a Baltimore Album. Love your quilt & it's very worth fixing.

What a great present! I'm sure someone here has the solution to repairing it :-)

This quilt is beautiful.....I'd take it to an appraiser, get it's value and how to have it restored.......Awesome!!

Sandi
    FL

Blog Entries
    That is just beautiful. A lot of work really went into that and it would be worth it to fix it.

Mary

I agree it should be appraised. The appraiser might know about what year it was made. Some of those fabrics look familiar to me. I would say they were from the 80's. I may even have some of them. Its a great quilt.

great find

Blog Entries
    I love when an old quilt get saved. Even though we don't know the name of the person who made it we do know she was talented and caring or she would never have put so much work into it. How lucky you are to have it.

Banned
    I'm so glad that the quilt is now in the hands of someone who appreciates the beauty of the quilt. Congratulations on a great find.

What a beautiful quilt. And what a great gift. I can't believe he just gave it away.

I'm glad the quilt found a good home.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will do some checking to see where I can take it. Yes, I am very happy my mom bought the bed :mrgreen: My husband just wants to use it the way it is, dirty and all, but I said no, it needs fixed and cleaned first so it doesnt get any worse beyond repair.
    I talked to my mom again and she told me that my grandmother also bought a bed the same day as her and the guy gave her the quilt that was on it too. Now, I need to go visit my gram LoL
    Mom also told me she has another quilt that was her BIL. He gave it to her some time ago and he has since passed. I think he died like 10 or 11 years ago. She is going to give that one to me too when she finds it. It's in a box in the bedroom she uses for storage. I can't wait, think I might go visit and help "clean" out that room ;)

I would call it beautiful! Of course you might be able to simply stitch the areas that have come loose. The holes though, I'd take the quilt to your LQS for advice. Get several opinions. (You're sure to receive a lot on here.)

Blog Entries
    One of my semi-old quilts had some holes. I do not live near anyone who could give me an appraisal. So - I took some tulle and cut a piece the size needed and appliqued it over the hole. You can still see the hole but it won't get any bigger either.

Quote Originally Posted by misseva
    I took some tulle and cut a piece the size needed and appliqued it over the hole. You can still see the hole but it won't get any bigger either.
    Thanks for the tip.

I havent found anyone to look over the quilt for me yet. There is a quilting guild near me, would they be of any help? There is also a local museum. I might just give them a call in the morning. I don't know if they would know much though, as I have never seen any quilts there. It's worth a shot none the less.

Museum people may have knowledge of how to fix, but more the price. Local quilt guild might have answers on how to fix.

Blog Entries
    What a great treasure you have :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    It's similar to a Baltimore Album. Love your quilt & it's very worth fixing.
    That was my thought, Baltimore Album of sorts! The damage doesn't look too bad. It might be hard to find the same fabrics to replace the bad sections, but definately worth the trouble to repair!! :thumbup: :thumbup: