Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Irish chain comfort quilt - DONE!

Beautiful Quilt Shelly. Is that trupunto in the background or did you just quilt pebbles around a design so it would pop out? It is gorgeous. Someday I aspire to be able to quilt like you!!

That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! :!: :!: :!:

Simply gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
    -Pat
    p.s....how long did it take to create? :)

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Amazing quilting!!!

Absoluly stunning!! I love the quilting!!

Banned
    That's beautiful. :D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's beautiful--and what other gorgeous quilts I saw- :D :D --I really like that floral log cabin--the inspriation for my WIP. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Can't say anything else but....GORGEOUS!!!!

Wow! You make me want to finish my Irish Chain comfort quilt!
    The quilting is amazing! Good job!
    You are my neighbor (as neighbors in washington go ) I am in soap lake!

Gosh -- that's beautiful!!

Thank you!!!

The top was one I bought on ebay when I first bought the longarm. I was planning to take a couple weeks to make a top, then quilt it in one day, then remembered that I had this top. Soooo, I took a about two weeks to quilt this. There are about 30 hours in quilting in this top. It is a faux trapunto technique - there are two layers of wool batt beneath each design, and it's pushed down with the pebbles.

Beautiful quilt. Your quilting amazes me.

Shelly,
    The quilting on this is out of this world! Beautiful work!

Shelly, now there's yet another technique I want to learn---trapunto!

It really makes a stunning quilt--great work!

Just beautiful, Shelley!

Very interesting. But what are "pebbles"?

Wonderful :D

Wow, that is awesome!

gorgeous makes me want to learn how to do pieced quilts now :lol:

Blog Entries
    Shelley, I didn't know that was referred to as "faux" trapunto. I took a class from Paula Reid and she taught that technique as "machine trapunto". I guess it doesn't matter, I just know that I like it. It might not be exactly the same thing...does the wool shrink any? Paula emphatically said you MUST use Poly and recommended high loft for the trapunto. I had done some trapunto before the class and used cotton scraps. She told me that if I washed it...the trapunto parts would end up looking like an old ladies bra....you know what I mean....so I haven't washed it..I'm scared to....what do you think?

Shelley, that is absolutely beautiful. Wow. I wonder how long you've quilted and how many pieces you've put in contests. As it is right now with me, I just feel proud to even get my top to the long-armer. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Shelley, I didn't know that was referred to as "faux" trapunto. I took a class from Paula Reid and she taught that technique as "machine trapunto". I guess it doesn't matter, I just know that I like it. It might not be exactly the same thing...does the wool shrink any? Paula emphatically said you MUST use Poly and recommended high loft for the trapunto. I had done some trapunto before the class and used cotton scraps. She told me that if I washed it...the trapunto parts would end up looking like an old ladies bra....you know what I mean....so I haven't washed it..I'm scared to....what do you think?
    Well, I don't think wool is supposed to shrink. So I don't thing that would be a problem. Faux trapunto and machine trapunto are probably the same thing. Since I stitched so close on the outside of the trapunto parts, I didn't have to cut the second layer of batting close. In fact, I used squares. You'd never know there are two layers of batting there.

If you wash, and don't want shrinkage, use cold water, then block on something rigid. When I block quilts, I use foam insulation boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Shelley, that is absolutely beautiful. Wow. I wonder how long you've quilted and how many pieces you've put in contests. As it is right now with me, I just feel proud to even get my top to the long-armer. :shock:
    I've been longarm quilting about a year and 1/2, minus about 6 months for a broken wrist (you don't want to get me going on THAT story!!!). I've been making tops for about 9 years, and have put quilts in fairs and local shows for years. I'm still looking for the right quilt top to do for a machine quilting show. The level of competition at those shows is pretty intense. I've cut back to piecing about a dozen tops a year, since I'm also quilting customer tops. I've done as many as 24 in a year, but there were lots of small, easy tops. I also help my husband with our grain and cattle ranch, plus I have a bookkeeping business. We're down to two kids at home - those older two must have been a lot of work, because I keep finding more time since they are away from home!!!

Don't worry about the quantity of tops you get done. That will come with time. Get your techniques mastered, and you'll always be happy with your finished product! If you want to improve, enlist your long armer as a partner. Have her show you how to be a better piecer. Everyone can improve on something. You wouldn't believe what I found out when I had to quilt my own quilts...... :shock:

[quote=Shelley
    Well, I don't think wool is supposed to shrink. So I don't thing that would be a problem. If you wash, and don't want shrinkage, use cold water, then block on something rigid. When I block quilts, I use foam insulation boards. [/quote]

Wool WILL shrink. It will felt if there is enough agitation while it is being washed, so the secret to keeping wool in the trapunto anywhere close to what you started with, quilt in tub for washing, a few swishes (in cold water, as Shelley suggests) ... lay it out to dry ... Felt comes from wool that has been washed in hot water and soap with lots of agitation and then dried with a high heat ... if you use wool inside your trapunto, check out care instructions for a wool sweater, and then you will know what to expect from wool yarn or fabric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast