Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been busy quilting

Blog Entries
    I made my first Dresden Kaleidoscope last week and thought I would use it as a practice piece and add some quilting around it. I have long been a fan of Sharon Shamber's style of quilting, and thought I would have a go. I don't think moving fabric around under a needle can ever be as smooth as moving a needle around over the fabric, so some of my feathers are not the best of shapes, but then this is my first effort. Up to now, I have only done some feathers on the sides of placemats, and in a few fillings on one other quilt.

The finished quilt. I'll put a couple of closeups in the next posting.
    Name:  Attachment-37801.jpe
Views: 401
Size:  87.0 KB

My first Dresden Kaleidoscope - appliqued to a large square of black, ready for quilting.
    Name:  Attachment-37805.jpe
Views: 394
Size:  28.8 KB

The feathers I did on the side of my placemats
    Name:  Attachment-37847.jpe
Views: 407
Size:  76.5 KB

Blog Entries
    OK, the last couple of photos seemed to come out back to front, but I think you can get the gist. Here are a couple of close ups of the quilting.
    I have been using the 'over the top of the feather' method, but some of mine could be better, as I didn't find it all that easy to stitch the second line directly over the first, and I wish I could get the feathers more even, but I will keep practicing!!!

I also think it would be easier to make it look nice if the same colour thread was used, rather than a contrast thread.

My camera refused to make this one look like red thread on a black background, but that is actually what it is.
    Name:  Attachment-37803.jpe
Views: 393
Size:  136.3 KB

A closer view (don't look too hard)
    Name:  Attachment-37804.jpe
Views: 398
Size:  98.9 KB

Blog Entries
    I made eight of the placemats Loretta, so by the time I had the last one done, I was getting reasonably even with the feathers.

Very pretty!

Blog Entries
    No, I made them for myself, though I do give some things away, if I think they are going to be appreciated

Oh sew pretty! Your machine quilting is very good. I think it takes practice! Love your Dresden Plate, also. :lol:

OMG!!!! That is gorgeous!!!!!!! You did this free motion on a domestic machine? Wow!!!!

That is an awesome job.
    You did good on the feathers as far as I could tell.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the lovely comments. I do have a Bernina with a stitch regulator, which helps, but I had already got the hang of FM quilting fairly evenly before I got this machine. I just wish I could get the feathers to look more even, but I intend to keep at it with the practicing.

Power Poster
    Those feathers sure look even to me!

I'm impressed. I'm still working on stitch-in-the ditch.

Banned
    its beautiful!! and i think your quilting is stunning.

i know this is crazy but i don't care for perfect quilting - it just doesn't look handcrafted to me - this is why i've never purchased a computer quilter or a stitch regulator.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    its beautiful!! and i think your quilting is stunning.

i know this is crazy but i don't care for perfect quilting - it just doesn't look handcrafted to me - this is why i've never purchased a computer quilter or a stitch regulator.
    "perfect" - does look machine-done to me, too

Blog Entries
    I assure you that I sat over the last couple of days and wiggled the fabric under my machine. Perhaps I am knit picking with my own work, but then which of you are completely satisfied with your first efforts?

Banned
    we always notice the flaws in our work but everyone else only see beautiful flawlessness.

Power Poster
    yes, you are nit-picking your own work. it's beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Klu & Bear is grey, I shall have to half close my eyes and squint at it, so that I can't see the niggles!

Power Poster
    oh, you can look at your work with your eyes wide open

and reach around and give yourself a pat on the back, while you are at it

Blog Entries
    Dear Bearisgray, you made my laugh, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I made eight of the placemats Loretta, so by the time I had the last one done, I was getting reasonably even with the feathers.
    I don't know if this helps but I discovered if I took the picture from some distance away and then cropped the part I wanted for a closeup my colors are more true. My flash was distorting the colors or washing them out totally. I had better luck with standing back aways to take the pic than bending over it up close.
    It is so frustrating when you can't get a good picture!!

Now on to the important stuff!! I love your kaleidoscope as I said when you showed it before the quilting.
    Now with the quilting it is really something!!!! A great way to practice!!
    I don't have room for a machine like that but I wish I did!
    Your feathers are looking good I think! I love your color choices!!

Blog Entries
    AAHHH, thank you Rhonda - I don't know why I never thought of that - (cropping a larger photo, that is) I will certainly bear it in mind. When I try out new techniques, I always look to see if I can try more than one technique in the same piece, hence this latest one. I also try out new techniques on Project Linus quilts, because they are smaller than regular (bed) sized quilts, and therefore quicker to finish.

BEAUTIFUL machine quilting! I have a challenge quilt that Im working on right now and I would LOVE to be able to machine quilt it like you've done. I have been practicing for a bit now but I dont have a stitch regulator so I have to practice keeping the stitches the same size. Not the easiest thing! I have a few toenail catchers every so often :roll: Im going to try stenciling my design on some scrap fabric and practice some more before I start my new one. I'll be happy if mine turns out 1/2 as good as yours.

Blog Entries
    I agree NorthernDeb that it isn't as easy without the stitch regulator, as you have to learn to co-ordinate your foot with the speed of your hand movement, but I got all my meandering sorted before I got the regulator, so it is possible. This quilt was quite small, 20 in square, so was reasonably easy to move around, and my machine sits down in a cabinet. I couldn't do a thing without that. I had a friend who was trying to learn FM quilting with her machine sitting on a table, which as far as I was concerned, was practically impossible. She couldn't afford a cabinet, but finally splashed out on a SewEzi table, and has never looked back.

Banned
    i found the easiest way to regulate my stitches was to regulate the speed of my sewing machine.

since my sewing machine doesn't have any other way to regulate speed aside from the pedal, i had DH build me a brace that i insert my pedal into when i want to free motion quilt.

the brace keeps the speed of the needle constant that way the only thing i need to concern myself with is moving the fabric at a constant pace.

it works like a charm since no matter how hard i press down on the pedal the brace prevents it from speeding up the needle.

Beautiful!!! I love it!

Beautiful. Love your feathers. Wish I could do them half as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast