Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ivy Learned

I named this quilt "Ivy Learned" because I have learned so much making this. Last summer after I joined here, I saw so many beautiful kalieoscope quilts. I was working on other projects, so I didn't want to plan for one. But I found some old fabric, so old I didn't even remember what I made with it. So I just gave them a wack, not really paying to much attention to accuracy since I really wasn't going to do anything with them. I loved them. Well......Ivy Learned....that even if you don't plan on using something, still be accurate, you just never know. Then I had all these really neat pinwheels. So maybe I'll find some fabric to make a couple blocks. Didn't have enough of one fabric, so......Ivy Learned...... there are so many colors in the center fabric, lets use what we have. Ok, I have all these blocks, lets just put a sashing between them and make a quilt. Oh......Ivy Learned.... that if you don't start a block as accurate as you can, your blocks turn out different sizes. Ok, now what can I do? Lets put them on an angle and with white fabric, that goes with everything. Oh but wait, how do you cut the fabric for that....Ivy Learned....how to do it, but......Ivy Learned....you have to add a little more fabric for the seams. Ok, now we have all ourikj blocks. This fabric will look good for the border and backing, and I'll try QAYG.....Ivy Learned....it takes more fabric than I had so quick had to order more. Have all the fabric....Ivy Learned....she dosn't really know how to QAYG, so just gave it that old try. Finally finished! Now will it stay together after it's washed. Fingers crossed. It did...but....Ivy Learned.......that white fabric really should have been bigger. So now....Ivy is learning to FMQ and will go around those couple places that came apart at the seams. Ivy Learned....so much from this quilt, and for all the head aches, and mistakes, I think it turned out pretty cute. Now it just has to get cold so I can snuggle with it.

So just a tip to fairly new quilters. Don't give up. Ivy didn't and IVY LEARNED!!!

Sorry sideways
    Name:  Attachment-234411.jpe
Views: 67
Size:  63.3 KB

Nice

Beautiful quilt!

Very pretty quilt!!!

Very pretty!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oooooooooooo I love it!! Great job :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Cute story and with beautiful quilt. Nice work.

Love the story and the pretty quilt!

lovely. those are on my list.

Cute quilt. Perseverance pays off.

You've created a lovely quilt!

You have put the 4-H motto "Learn to Do by Doing!" to full use and learned much. Look at how much your skills have developed with this one quilt ... and how much more with the next one!

Any chance you can show us the virgin fabric?
    Please? and Thanks!

This is so beautiful!!

This is all the fabric I have left, but this was the original fabric I started with. It took me almost a year to make this because I kept putting it down. I've done so many in the meantime, but I didn't want this to sit as a UFO for ever, so it was where I could see it each and every day. The fabric is a little brighter than this, the colors in it are really pretty, not dull.

Original fabric in center pinwheels
    Name:  Attachment-234452.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  82.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Well. It turned out great and the few lessons you share help us all! Isn't it just amazing what we can do when we don't give up.
    peace

I like the "virgin" fabric line!

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    This is all the fabric I have left, but this was the original fabric I started with. It took me almost a year to make this because I kept putting it down. I've done so many in the meantime, but I didn't want this to sit as a UFO for ever, so it was where I could see it each and every day. The fabric is a little brighter than this, the colors in it are really pretty, not dull.
    Thanks for posting your pic ... it is a lovely fabric and so appropriate for OBW/SAW, as you have proven!

I would say that 'Ivy' did a terrific job and ended up with a beautiful quilt. Most would have given up early on and had another ufo for the closet. Do glad you stayed with it and ended up with a great quilt!

Oops, sorry - a double post.

Beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful.

Senior Member Blue's quilting mama's Avatar
    Love this! Very creative to put the squares inside another square like you did to make up for the different sizes!

awesome,you sure did learn .....great job !!

Great job!! Looks like "Ivy" learned a lot!

If Ivy needs to learn some more ivy can send a quilt like that my way. I love it. I usually have a hard time getting excited about the Obw or stack and wacks, but yours is the second one today that I've seen that I would love to own. I think the white was a wonderful choice for the back ground. Great Job. I'm thinking I might try one of these but can't seem to get my head around how to do it yet.

Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Katie,
    Your quilt is fabulous and even better because it represents a "Can Do" attitude. I hope you keep it for yourself because only you will appreciate how far it has already brought you in your learning curve. Your story is precious as well. Thank you for sharing.

Ivy learned a lot very nicely. Beautiful quilt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast