Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Jane Stickle 's Journey >

Jane Stickle 's Journey

Jane Stickle 's Journey

Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Riley, what a beautiful quilt!!!! That's a lot of work.

I would be embarrased to show you my little quilts. When I get the nerve to figure out how show pictures I might get the nerve to show my work.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM

Elle! So glad to hear from you! I think of you often & send a hug across the way to you!

Thank you all for the nice comments. I am still quilting my 'paws' away...have taken a bit of a break with the awful heat that has set upon us to never end (seemingly!)

I really don't like that much to having mine quilted. I still have a few blocks up in the middle of the body of the quilt but very few. Then I have to think abt those pesky scallops?

I have seen Lace Lady's fabulous quilt!It is breath taking.

I am piecing a Sylvia at the moment that I might try that on but I really DO like to hand piece & hand quilt.

(((Hugs))) to you Elle! Thanks again for the kind comments!
(Sorry, I did not remember adding the px so long ago! Should have checked back)

The quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99219[/ATTACH]

A corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99220[/ATTACH]

Down one of the edges
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99221[/ATTACH]

Another corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99222[/ATTACH]

Another look
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99223[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99214.jpe   attachment-99215.jpe   attachment-99216.jpe   attachment-99217.jpe   attachment-99218.jpe  

Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 PM

I am speechless!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Absolutely stunning!!! So how long did it take you to make the blocks, and were you a beginner, or more advanced quilter when you started this... I have been quilting for three years and I need something to challenge myself. I like the idea of self-taught/challenge...

Originally Posted by Riley
I have received a number of PM's requesting that I share the Jane Stickle Quilt I am quilting to encourage those piecing one here. Yes, you really CAN finish one! :)

I am still in the quilting stage, with a little less than half of it to go.
I have quilted 91 blocks in the body of the quilt, 21 patterned kites (the edges) & 21 of the plain kites. I will do a scallop binding when done here abt 1/2 inch past the outer most stitching.

I pieced this many years ago when I really had no business undertaking such a chore, then put it aside. I finally decided it was past time she was quilted.

I am glad I pieced it. I learned more on this quilt than any I have made since or before. As previously stated, there were not as many beautiful Civil War Repos as now. I used a lot of Thimbleberries, etc on mine. (It really is brighter than it appears, I am a rather lousy picture taker. :))

Jane Stickle... by Brenda Papadakis (Jane Stickle's Journey)
Hand pieced & hand quilted...in progress
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM

All I can say is ~Beautiful~ :thumbup:
Old 08-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Too awesome to even think of trying. Great Job. Can't wait to see it done. Thanx for the post
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Thanks for posting the pics again, I see you have a good big frame which is square to help you quilt, looks good too.

I often think of you too, I am quilting my Japanese Fan by hand something I have never done before and its really too hot here as well, but I am trying to get it done for our local quilt show in October, so needs must, however I have to say its not my favorite thing, unlike you I donīt like hand quilting.

Keep upthe good work your quiltingis stunning.

Elle
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
Your quilt is definitely one that deserves to be entered in a quilt show!! It is one of the most Beautiful quilts I've ever seen!
WOW! Dito on this!! You did great and I'm lacking the words for it, which doesn't happen this much ;-). WOW!!
Did I say WOW already? Wonderful, I LOVE your quilt.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 AM

I am always humbled by such nice words. There are so many talented (make that TALENTED!) quilters on this board!

I began quilting when my DH retired due to a severe illness & we were pretty well housebound for years. What I learned was trial & error, reading books, in other words, I learned to quilt to pass time away....self taught The best lessons learned was "BOY! Don't do THAT again!" :)

I really don't know how long the blocks took to make because there were many things going on. In law parents becoming ill & passing away, illness' of our own...in actual working time, probably 6 to 8 months. But I always have other things going on...applique of some sort all the time, piecing or quilting...that I switch back & forth. (And yes, I always finish what I start)

When I made Jane Stickle, I consider myself to have been an advanced beginner in answer to the question ask. I took out a lot of stitches, I took some blocks apart until I had to start over. This was one of the best learning tools I ever did.

It is not for a rank beginner to learn alone, you need some knowledge of piecing. If you will persevere, and you do NEED perseverance, you will know how to stitch just about any kind of piecing when done.

Am I glad I made Jane Stickle? YES! Gave me the confidence to say I can learn to make anything I want to make, if I want to make it badly enough. (And I still consider myself fortunate enough to learn something with each quilt I make even today!)

Thanks again for your kind words! Riley
Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 AM

Well said, it definately is a learning curve. You learn things I never even heard about on this quilt. Like "Y" seams etc. I am enjoying mine but it is going to take me way longer than 8 months I think around a year before all the blocks are completed and then I have to quilt it. I am also going to deviate from the border and put my own stamp on it and do some applique around the border but still do a curved border. Well thats the thoughts so far.

Elle