Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Jane Stickle 's Journey >

Jane Stickle 's Journey

Jane Stickle 's Journey

Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Oh gosh Riley!!!! That is beautiful and a must for my HAVE to do list! (You can tell that my library doesn't have the Elm Creek series...I'm going to have to get them to order it...) Thanks so much for posting the link to it... You must LOVE handwork...and you do it soo well!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 AM

There's ONLY 140 blocks in Sylvia & they are 6" finished blocks.
HUGE compared to Jane Stickle & abt half as many blocks.:)

You did note I said I am "searching for brain cells"? Next on the agenda after Sylvia is the Civil War Quilt by Rosemary Young. (already have that one in my hot little paws) I do indeed love hand work!

Thank you again! R
Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 AM

U have just convinced me that if I can put my mind to it that eventually it will be done! What a beautiful quilt. Outstanding patterns and colors
Old 04-22-2010, 10:35 AM

Oh my land!!! That IS impressive !!! But I think I am too old to last long enough to do that!! LOL ggreat job!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Riley
Thank you all so much for your continued compliments. It is like having your own personal cheering squad to give you a pat on the back & encourage you to 'keep on keeping on'.

Mary. I don't mind your questions at all.
I do NOT trim my quarter inch seams. I most often hand piece so I have a softer seam than a machine makes, tho I have quilted over machine seams just fine.

Most people do not like poly batting (but you ask what I use) & that is what I use. I prefer Hobbs brand, low loft, of course.
I do stitch in the ditch(SID), following the design of the pattern. But I like heavy quilting so I often add a lot of quilting to that SID. (IE) a 9 patch will have SID, plus I will add a cross hatch across the blocks.

You did not ask abt needle size so I will just toss that in! :) I use a size 8 to 9 on this. The longer needle is to lesson the wear on my joints as there is a LOT of stitching on this. I am not bothered much by what brand, I like Richard Hemming, Colonial, Clover...what ever is handy.

I would not have any suggestions on seeing the original quilting of THE Jane Stickle unless you go to Vermont & look at the original in person?

The best suggestion I can give you is patience. This will not be done over night..........but it is doable!

Gramquilter2, I am looking for an online site to purchase new brain cells. I am also hand piecing a Sylvia when I take a break from my quilting here on Jane Stickle. :)

Thanks again ~Everyone~ for your kindness! Riley
I am really impressed and hope you will share pictures of your Sylvia's quilt, I will be waiting to see how yours looks. Brain cells just need a Starbucks coffee!!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 AM

BetlinsMom, haven't you heard? Age is mind over matter.... it does not matter if you do not mind. :)
I am 78 1/2 & I got a very late start in quilting, not beginning until I retired. I am going to live forever because I have a LOT of quilts to make. At least, that is my game plan.

Gramquilter2, I have just started on Sylvia. (I suspect that Silver Backed Gorilla that runs this forum will puff his cigar, beat his chest, & toss me off for mixing topics here? :) )I have done 5 so far.
Here is a couple of them & then I will cease from being off-topic.

BTW: Never did learn to like coffee nor tea?

Thanks! Riley

A~1..Mosiac 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35321[/ATTACH]

A~4..Posies Around the Square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35322[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-35321.jpe   attachment-35322.jpe  
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Riley
BetlinsMom, haven't you heard? Age is mind over matter.... it does not matter if you do not mind. :)
I am 78 1/2 & I got a very late start in quilting, not beginning until I retired. I am going to live forever because I have a LOT of quilts to make. At least, that is my game plan.

Gramquilter2, I have just started on Sylvia. (I suspect that Silver Backed Gorilla that runs this forum will puff his cigar, beat his chest, & toss me off for mixing topics here? :shock:) I have done 5 so far.
Here is a couple of them & then I will cease from being off-topic.

Thanks! Riley
I am also going to have to live to be way past 100 to finish all of the quilts that I want to make!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Riley...those blocks are beautiful!!! Hmmm wonder if we need to have a group cyber sew to do the Sylvia after we finish the Jane... maybe we are ALL crazy!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: And we'll ALL live to be over 100!!!

BTW...just blow a kissey poo in the direction of that big ape..he'll get scared and run the other direction.... :wink:
Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Riley, I hadn't heard of a Sylvia either, but they are really pretty blocks!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:48 PM

Thank you for posting. I'm piecing one right now and this gives me hope that eventually it will get finished. I'll be doing mine all by hand too. Yours is beautiful.