Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Jellyroll table runners. >

Jellyroll table runners.

Jellyroll table runners.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

i found it. jelly roll rug place mats. Wonderful! now to make myself make some...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-09-2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

All all very pretty.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:58 PM

They are selling fast for a good reason......they are really pretty and colorful.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM

What a fabulous idea for a table runner...they are all wonderful and I’m glad you are doing well with them at your craft fairs. Just make sure you’re getting a fair compensation for your hard work.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:40 PM

Wow! you have been busy--I've been saving bat scraps to make a rug and you are truly an inspiration.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Absolutely beautiful. I tried making one, but it started looking like a plate with a top lip. Ironed the bejesus out of it and now it is a small coaster type thing.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:05 AM

These are great - no wonder they are selling like hotcakes!

As others have mentioned, just try to get your pricing to where you are at least covering your costs plus some time - although i know that hardly anybody who sells handmade creations really gets what they are worth in effort. Ever.

The next few you make maybe do a casual assessment of the piece - estimate how many strips you used, plus batting and allow something for thread. Also pay attention to the “average” amount of time spent on completing a piece. This may be an eye opener that you at least need to up your price by two to three dollars or so, but that amount should be comfortable to you and nobody can put a dollar amount on that effort but you. There is no right or wrong here and if you are already happy with what you clear on each item then who’s to say it’s not enough/too much for your comfort zone.

I know there can be a lot of discomfort involved in the pricing of such wonderfully constructed handmade items that you love making. You are not alone in that. But time is worth something even if you love doing it!

The next time you have someone fix your car, or your furnace or whatever take a look at the itemized bill - the labor is always at least 50% more (and sometimes 100 to 150% more) than the materials used to complete the job! We are all paying for the skill and knowledge to complete a job that we are unwilling/unable to do ourselves. Although we hate paying the bill, we do realize the value of a professionally done job as opposed to someone just slapping things together on your car and hoping for the best as you drive home!

Your workmanship is beautiful and professional. And while i am not saying you can/should feel comfortable charging a lot more than you are currently charging for your work, you may be doing yourself a disservice by not charging a little more than whatever it is that you currently have your pieces priced at?

Again, only you can make that determination, but the success of your sales so far certainly does indicate that you have an appreciative clientele that realizes the value of what you do! Whether you realize it or not you have already informally “tested” the market and your overwhelming success certainly indicates that the market could reasonably bear a little more consideration for your “profit” especially if you want to keep doing what you’re doing for the long term!

Just some two cents about two cents for what its worth! Your work is beautiful...
Old 12-10-2019, 05:20 AM

I can see how they would be sell-out items for you. Beautiful work with all the projects. You have the techniques mastered from the stitching to the color designs.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:02 AM

Wow! I guess you do like making them.... That is a lot of runners! Look great!
Old 12-11-2019, 06:21 AM

Love, love, love them all! Great job indeed!