Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Thread: Just finished this set of gifts

  1. #26
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Just an update--Sharon loved her patchwork gifts and asked if she could have a cell phone case!! So I am working on cell phone case designs now!

  2. #27
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Not a surprize to me at all! Those are really nice gift sets!!

  3. #28
    Debbie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Roseburg, Oregon
    Posts
    2,279
    Very nice. Love how they all tie in!

  4. #29
    community benefactor Knot Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,722
    Very nice, you did a great job :D

  5. #30
    Junior Member Moncia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Poland, Koszalin
    Posts
    257
    That's a beautiful block!

  6. #31
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting. They were supposed to be for a Christmas present for a friend of hers but I ran out of time. So now they are done!! Now to go on to other quilt stuff!
    I love that star. Is there a name for the block. I think I can see how the points are made. Kind of like a half square -- only it's cut again diagonally and then attached to the triangle. Right? Am I showing my ignorance here? :oops: :lol:

  7. #32
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting. They were supposed to be for a Christmas present for a friend of hers but I ran out of time. So now they are done!! Now to go on to other quilt stuff!
    I love that star. Is there a name for the block. I think I can see how the points are made. Kind of like a half square -- only it's cut again diagonally and then attached to the triangle. Right? Am I showing my ignorance here? :oops: :lol:
    I don't know how anyone else makes it but the first star is made with my Boston Blocks. See the directions on my www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com
    THe other stars are all made with my half square blocks or Boston Blocks.

  8. #33
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting. They were supposed to be for a Christmas present for a friend of hers but I ran out of time. So now they are done!! Now to go on to other quilt stuff!
    I love that star. Is there a name for the block. I think I can see how the points are made. Kind of like a half square -- only it's cut again diagonally and then attached to the triangle. Right? Am I showing my ignorance here? :oops: :lol:
    I don't know how anyone else makes it but the first star is made with my Boston Blocks. See the directions on my www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com
    THe other stars are all made with my half square blocks or Boston Blocks.
    Thanks. Went to "bitsnpieces". Great directions and ideas. When you say to change the size of the template, would we --say, use a 2" template to make the HST block that will be cut diagonally? Then it could be used in the 1 1/2" Boston Block.

  9. #34
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    No you use three swatches to make the Bostons. Directions are on my site. When I say you can change the size of the template I was thinking if I make a hotpad for instance or a Tote bag and I make my hotpads 8 1/2" unfinished but you may want to make a larger quilt block with the same one I used but you would rather make a tote bag instead so make your"Blocks" with a 3" template instead of a 1 1/2" so you end up with a bigger quilt block to use in the tote.

    Make sense?

  10. #35
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    :oops: PHEW! I've got it. Thanks. Some days I'm a little "slower" than others. :lol:

  11. #36
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Oh this is just a new concept for people. It is hard for some quilters to get past the traditional way of piecing. But I love that it makes the process easy.

  12. #37
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    I think it's great. Do you have any problems with the grainline?

  13. #38
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Believe it or not the only thing I ever look at is where I have room to cut a swatch out. I don't pay any attention to grain because when I am done there is usually only an inch or less left to see. The seams are so close together that it never affects my work.

  14. #39
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    That's good to know. Bias edges scare me.

  15. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    57
    Rhonda, I have downloaded your e book. Now, my question is about the templates. Do I cut out a triangle the size of the finished block? or a quarter of the size? In other words how do we know what size the template should be? The template is a piece of acrylic right?

  16. #41
    Catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    468
    I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting


    you have friends that do your prep work? They cut the pieces out? wow..that's nice. These are great! good job.

  17. #42
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by mynani
    Rhonda, I have downloaded your e book. Now, my question is about the templates. Do I cut out a triangle the size of the finished block? or a quarter of the size? In other words how do we know what size the template should be? The template is a piece of acrylic right?
    Mynani
    I use a 1 1/2" acrylic template for the stuff you see here. You can use any size template you want depending on what you want to make. When you cut out a square the triangles show up inside the square. You don't cut any triangles. Use a square template.

    On page 25 you will see the size templates to use for making a 12 1/2" or 10 1/2" quilt block.
    IF you want I offer the first 1 1/2" template free. Just send me your postal address if you 'd like one.

    Otherwise you can order whatever size you need on my
    BitsnPieces site

    http://www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com a free teaching site

  18. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    oooooooooooooo very pretty

  19. #44
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,404
    Blog Entries
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine
    I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting


    you have friends that do your prep work? They cut the pieces out? wow..that's nice. These are great! good job.
    Yeah my friend Dorothy is great! She makes the Boston Blocks and all the other Blocks we use. Then I get to sit down and play! She saves me a lot of time. She makes up hundreds at a time and I have 55 organizers she keeps filled for me.
    Her granddaghter commented one time it looked like there were over a 1000 blocks and when she gave them to me I counted them just out of curiosity and there were over 3000 blocks!
    She used to work in a factory and has an assembly state of mind so she cuts all the swatches -30 of each fabric and 10 differant darks and 10 differant lights and then sews them all together and then irons all and then cuts all of them. Then she sets aside the leftovers and sets them up to cut out 1 1/4" blocks and then cuts out 1" from the leftovers. We don't waste much.

    She is a widow and has a lot of time on her hands. She gets up in the middle of the night and sews alot.
    She does my crossstitch bookmarks also. She does the crossstitching and then I add borders and backing and turn it into a bookmark. She is very accurate and I really appreciate her attention to detail.

    Her daughter - in-law is starting to cut my templates for me. It is becoming a family affair! I sell to a local store so this is a big help to me!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.