Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaleidoscope projects

Blog Entries
    you have a done a beautiful job with these! I have bookmarked your instructions. I can't imagine me being able to do something that beautiful but I am going to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing your work and instructions.

Blog Entries
    If you use a clear plastic for your template and use a marker to trace the features of the spot you choose so you can set it on the next repeat spot you will find it is so easy and fun!! If you have any problems just let me know. I have to tweak the size of my template some times to get the sections to join right and lay down right. It is so rewarding and surprising to see the kaleidoscope(wish it had a shorter name!) come together because you never know what it will look like til you get at least half of it together! I really enjoy them!
    I hope to see what everyone does with theirs!!

Banned
    Gosh, I don't know how to help ya, but they sure are pretty... Hrmmmm small? A wall hanging, maybe on totes or a lapquilt, table runner

Your projects are beautiful!!

I just took a kaleidoscope class on Saturday. What a fun new way to make a quilt!!

Blog Entries
    Have you posted any pics???? Turn about is fair play!! I showed you some of mine so now we want to see yours!! :D :D

Blog Entries
    I am working on appliquing a kaleidascope to a canvas tote. When I get it done I will post a picture. Someone suggested I do a wall hanging with them and I like that idea so I will probably try that next.

Blog Entries
    Rhonda, I'm wondering if you could shortcutt the K. process by using Bethany Reynolds Stack N Whack method? It seems to me that it would work and you wouldn't have to make templates. I've THOUGHT about trying it for kaleidescopes like yours, but I haven't tried it yet.

Blog Entries
    The stack and whack is similar in method but I like the dresden plate shape and the stack and whack I have seen is a triangle shape. It is really all in what you want it to look like.
    I think the template method is really easy so I like doing it. The only hard part is erasing the tracing from the template between one K and the next. Which really isn't anything really.
    I also like to pick out the sections that I think will get a neat or pretty K
    It satisfies my creative need!
    I do miniatures mostly so this seems big to me and is easier on my hands. I like doing applique but it doesn't sell as well as my miniatures so I don't sit and mess with the K's as much as I'd like. I am going to try a local fall festival so maybe the K's will go better there! Time will tell!
    Thanks for thinking of me and your suggestion is a good one. I have never tried it because I have been playing with dresden K's for years before I ever heard of the stack and whack.

I would love to try this after I finish with my WIP. I would applique the pattern and echo quilt like Hawaiian quilt. Would that turn out cute?

Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with a Hawaiin quilt. What is echo quilt? Is that where you quilt a little apart from the applique? I don't know how to do anything but quilt in the ditch. I have a 1950 reproduction Singer of a 1850 machine so it is only basic sewing no extras. I can't lower the feed dogs I've tried.

Those are so pretty and interesting. A wall hanging would be very interesting! Post picture with the finished projects!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    When i do appliqué I generally (hand) quilt in the ditch AND echo about an eighth of an inch - relly makes the shape stand out!!!

K x

Blog Entries
    I do a lot of Drunkard's Path projects. I bet that would really make them look good also! I'll have to try it. I do all of mine on the machine tho I used to only do hand quilting but I have too much quilting to get done each day to take the time to hand quilt much. I like to sew my appliques on with a herringbone embroidery stitch by hand but that is about all I do by hand anymore.

I have some pieces that I got off of ebay a long time ago. haven't gotten to sewing them as of yet.
    My question is...there is a hole in the middle of yours. Is there ALWAYS a hole? I don't think I like that idea....how do you cover it?

Blog Entries
    I chose to clip my template shorter so I didn't have to deal with the ends all meeting in the middle. You don't have to you can have yours without the hole but I just make a yoyo and sew it over the hole or I thought I might try doing the herringbone stitch around the raw edge in the middle and add a button in the center. It's just a design choice. I hate to mess with the center getting all puffy so I don't do it that way. It 's just like the center of an eight ponted star. You just have to be good at getting the fabric joined right so it doesn't puff up and I am not that great at it so I skip it. It's the easy way out for me.
    When I learned to do a friendship circle that is how it was done on those with the yoyo in the center.

Okie Dokie...I was just wondering.
    One way to get all those seams to lay flat....A BIG HAMMER!! ;)

Wow, they're all beautiful!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I've seen in a book somewhere that if you get a tiny hole in a centre of a star, etc, you can take a teeny gathering stitch through each patch on the reverse to close it.
    Obviously with a bigger hole this would cause puckering though! I like the yoyo or button idea!

K x

they are so pretty...

What pattern do you use? I see you have 10 wedges or triangles? Beautiful. Thank you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacque
    What pattern do you use? I see you have 10 wedges or triangles? Beautiful. Thank you
    There is no pattern. These are fussy cut and you can make them anyway you want. I use my own template which I offer free to people. It makes 10 blades which end up as a 8 1/2" Dresden Kaleidoscope.

I wrote an ebook on this method and have a lot of the info in there as well as projects you can make.

Basically you need a yard of fabric with enough repeats of a specific part of the design. for example a flower. Once you see a particular flower in the design then see how many more you can find that are the exact same thing. You need at least 10 in the yard. Usually I find at least 8 in a half yard. So you can use the same fabric to make several. Once you find a spot you like then lay the clear template on the spot. I take a fine point magic marker and mark features of the flower and leaves on the template. Then I draw around the template. Find another spot that is identical and line up the markings with the design on the fabric. Then draw around the template and continue to do this til you have 10 blades drawn. I place a pin with a bright colored head in each blade as I mark them so I can go back and find them easier. Now cut out the blades.

Sew them together and you will end up with a Dresden Kaleidoscope.

You can use the stack and whack method but you won't have a Dresden plate shape if you do. You will just have a Kaleidoscope and not the combination of both Dresden plate and Kaleidoscope.

This really is not that hard at all. Just make sure you match up the template as accurately as possible for the best results.

I would get your e-book but my computer is like me, old and slow., and my printer doesn't work. Do you have a book for sale? And how do I get the templates? Thanks so much, Jacque

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacque
    I would get your e-book but my computer is like me, old and slow., and my printer doesn't work. Do you have a book for sale? And how do I get the templates? Thanks so much, Jacque
    You can order it through my website if you like and I can print it off and mail it to you. No problem. The templates I just need your postal address and I can mail them to you.

Blog Entries
    Wow are those pretty.

My ***personal info edited for user protection***

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast