Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: kaleidoscope quilt

Blog Entries
    Marcia I love your quilt! Aren't kaleidoscopes addictive?? I love them too. I used to do them and have just recently started making more again. They are so fun to make.
    Love your colors. That fabric is so perfect for k's I looked for something similar but haven't found exactly what I had in mind.
    One of my favorite fabrics had a lot of green leaves on it. It worked up real nice.
    Love to see the next 15 blocks!

Marcia, your blocks are terriffic! And you chose such gorgeous fabric! I did a stack n whack once that is similar and it was great fun. It's one of my WIP.

Oughta be a law against a quilt looking that good!!.....:-).... very nice!!

Thank you,Marcia.
    So it is going to be a qilt top to go sandwitched as regular quilts would.
    I would be handsewing them, just like French Roses quilt I made. It reminds me of the method of Hawaiian quilt.
    I will try to make one anyways, let me ask you some more beginner question then.

Panda

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Marcia, I think the choice of fabric is fantastic for this effect, is a stunner, or will be when you finish it up, please don't take too long I can't wait to see more, can I come and play at your house tomorrow???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Izy--I would LOVE to have you come play tomorrow. I will leave a trail of fabric scraps from the Atlanta airport so you can find my house. :lol: :lol:

I even have a nice selection of teas so we can have a tea party in the afternoon.
    Oh I love a treasure trail :D Shall I make some fresh scones and bring clotted cream and jam for our afternoon tea Marcia, how lovely :D :D :D

Marcia

Way to go girlfriend LOL. :wink:
    Your blocks are so scrummy I love them all. I'm off to do a class next week end, so will post pics then. I don't think we have to use a ruler as it's not been mentioned. Will let you know. :D

Tisha

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Thanks everyone!! I would encourage anyone who wants to make one to give it a try. It is SOOO much fun to get out the mirrors and start moving them around on the fabric to see what your blocks may look like. I am hooked now!!

We need to encourage Dawn to post a picture of her blocks too!!

COME ON DAWN---SHOW US YOUR BLOCKS :D
    Dawn

Where are you - or I should say WHERE ARE YOUR BLOCKS!!!!!!

Come on don't be shy now, give us all a peek. :wink:

Tisha

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    Oughta be a law against a quilt looking that good!!.....:-).... very nice!!
    Thank you!! I am flattered. :oops: :oops: That is high praise coming from you!! You are such an awesome quilter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Quote Originally Posted by glennis
    Does anyone know if there is a free pattern online?

I put my version on my free teaching site www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com
    I like to make mine in a dresden plate shape but if you want to do the triangle just cut off the rounded end of the template. There is a template you can copy. It's all free.
    Rhonda-thank you for sharing!!! That is really sweet of you. I could never have done this without a class, but now that I know how, it is really simple.

Here is a tutorial for those of you who want to give this a try!

http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/Quilts/Tutorial/

June

Quote Originally Posted by youme
    Thank you,Marcia.
    So it is going to be a qilt top to go sandwitched as regular quilts would.
    I would be handsewing them, just like French Roses quilt I made. It reminds me of the method of Hawaiian quilt.
    I will try to make one anyways, let me ask you some more beginner question then.

Panda
    Panda, Yes, it will be sandwiched and quilted just like a regular quilt. You can ask all the questions you need and I will be happy to help in any way I can :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Oh I love a treasure trail :D Shall I make some fresh scones and bring clotted cream and jam for our afternoon tea Marcia, how lovely :D :D :D
    Oh, Izy, scones and clotted cream and jam sound wonderful!! I will set the table so it will be ready when you get here. Bring a few of your quilts for "show and tell" too.

Oh--I am getting so excited!! We are going to have so much fun!! :lol: :lol:

That is just so special, Marcia!
    I want to take the class, too!
    BEAUTIFUL!
    (I think the pink will be great for a border, too)

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    Here is a tutorial for those of you who want to give this a try!

http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/Quilts/Tutorial/

June
    thanks June! I'm going to book mark this so I can try it one day!

One day I am going to have a real go at that I think they are gorgeous.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1962
    Marcia

Way to go girlfriend LOL. :wink:
    Your blocks are so scrummy I love them all. I'm off to do a class next week end, so will post pics then. I don't think we have to use a ruler as it's not been mentioned. Will let you know. :D

Tisha
    Tisha-is your class for a kaleidoscope quilt too???

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad you posted your blocks! They look great! When I first started to learn to quilt, I bought some pre-cut triangles off of ebay to make some kaleidoscopes. I actually did get them put together and made into a quilt but I can tell you that as a beginner....I learned a ton from that process! I just love the look of them though!

Beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    I know this has probably been asked before but what is the difference between kaleidoscope and stack and wack? Does k-scope use less fabric. Do you need specific ruler? They look like a blast to make and turn out so beautiful. But I am always concerned abt wasting fabric.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Wow, Marcia - that is SO beautiful - you've just moved K quilt WAAAAYYYY up nearer the top of my to do list! :D

K x

Blog Entries
    I don't know how anyone else does it but I make mine with a plastic template. I cut out the shape I want in my case it is for a dresden plate and I find the spot on the fabric I want to use and trace the features on the fabric so I can set it on the next spot in the exact way to get an exact duplicate of the first one. I choose a flower or a line in the design I want to see repeated in my dresden plate. I choose what I want to use.
    Stack and whack is pretty much the same idea but you just line up the fabric and cut without much eye to choice. It comes out however it comes out.
    Both are good and it is a matter of choice. Stack and whack I have seen are triangles and mine are dresden plates.
    Hope that helps.

Very, very nice. I really like your blocks and the black fabric gives great contrast. Looks alot like the Stack N'Whack methocd of Bethany Reynolds that I did in a recent quilt guild workshops. But Bethany's method did not have us using mirrors. It was kind of like doing a mystery quilt, since you really were not sure about the end result. I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    I know this has probably been asked before but what is the difference between kaleidoscope and stack and wack? Does k-scope use less fabric. Do you need specific ruler? They look like a blast to make and turn out so beautiful. But I am always concerned about wasting fabric.
    I have not made a stack and whack, but that was pretty much the method we used. We cut 8 repeats of the pattern of our fabric (it takes a lot of fabric!!), then we stacked the 8 repeats on top of each other. In order to keep them lined up perfectly we took a needle and thread and pulled a thread through the exact same spot on each piece of fabric. We did this all over the fabric to keep it stabilized. This was the most tedious part. Next we took the kaleidoscope ruler and decided how big we wanted to make our blocks. The ruler and mirror help you to preview how some of your blocks will look. Once you have decided how big to make your block, you cut off a strip the required width, then use the ruler, moving it from one side to the other and cut the triangles. Depending on how wide your repeat is and the size of the blocks you decide to make, you can get many blocks out of your fabric.

The repeat of the pattern of my fabric was 15". So, I cut 8 15" wide strips of my fabric and stacked them on top of each other. I decided to make 10" blocks. I cut a 5 1/2" strip off of my fabric stack and then cut my triangles from it.

So, the method I used to make my triangles was definitely a "stack and whack" method. I think if I had moved my ruler and mirror around and had fussy cut my triangles it would have been less a stack and whack method. I just used my mirrors to audition fabrics to see which one I wanted to use for my quilt.

I have done Stack and Whack with 6 repeats for hexagons. And the 4 patch posy is the same concept. They are addicting! I see a fun fabric and want to do another one. Have done them with Oriental fabrics and jungle fabrics and florals. I really like doing them becasue the results are so amazing and unexpected! :lol: :lol:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast