Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Last pre-school nap sets >

Last pre-school nap sets

Last pre-school nap sets

Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 PM

Just finished the 4th nap set for my grandsons. They got two each - a fleece "blankie" and a quilt. Each nap mat cover is a king-sized version of the "burrito" pillowcase pattern. I've probably made 20 of these and each time it feels like a miracle when it works!

The quilts are quilted on the diagonals through the four patches. There is no batting so it doesn't need heavier quilting. The backing is brought around to the front for the binding. These quilts must fold up and come home in their backpacks so these lighter "summer quilts" seemed about right. They are baby sized - enough for a pre-schooler to nap with, but not enough to be hard to deal with or flop over into a napping neighbor's space.

Each quilt was 1 yard of each of 3 different fabrics. That makes the top and the back - though you have to piece the back. The green football set is fabric from Hobby Lobby. (Follow the link to see that one.) Everything else is fabric from Wal-mart. That's where I let the boys pick out their quilt focus fabric. I'll be curious to see how well it stands up to weekly washing cause ... it just doesn't feel nice. I've gotten better fabrics from Wal-mart in the past, but these just don't match what I've gotten before.

A link for the quilt pattern is here (along with a link to the pillowcase pattern).

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145002-1.htm
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244592.jpe   attachment-244593.jpe   attachment-244594.jpe  
Old 08-20-2011, 11:34 PM

I remember making "quillows" years ago for my GS's for daycare..they loved them and still talk about them..I had to replace them 2 times because of theft..lol..I learned to sew their names into them.. the second time around..the thing that made me mad..whoever got them..knew they weren't theirs..not the child so much..but the Mother's !!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 PM

I embroidered names on each piece of these for that very reason. One goes to a private Christian school with 11 kids in his class. I think we're pretty safe there. The other is in a public preschool with a room full. We'll see how that works out.

My daughter had a Quillow when she was a high school drill team member. She loved it on the bus. I didn't even think of those when I started these, but still think that would have been too thick for easy stuffing in a back pack.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 PM

Those look so cute. I too hope that no one steals them that would be so wrong.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:11 AM

You have given me the idea for my g/son who goes to Kindergarten 2012. Many thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 AM

Harrold48 - I wanted so badly to give my grandsons SOMETHING special for the start of school. That's why I thought and thought to come up with this. One of my grandboys has a Mom and a Dad who make good salaries and don't need me to do anything for him. The other grandson is being raised by a single dad - my son - who does oil changes and car inspections and some mechanic work in a small shop. Honorable work that's much needed, but the pay is barely enough to get by. So while I'm helping with shoes, school supplies, etc for that one I just had to do something for the other one, too. The nap sets seemed perfect.

In the dragon quilt you may can see his name embroidered in one little blue square, but look for another blue square with a row of embroidered hearts. I taught each of them that each heart is someone who loves him and is thinking of him while he's at school. I was surprised - and delighted - to hear each of them - after I said the hearts were, "Grammy loves you, Grampop loves you, Daddy loves you, etc." tell me that the hearts meant "I love Grammy, I love Grampop, etc." Made every minute I worked on these little projects a pleasure!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Awww what a cute set! I love the story of the hearts too :D:D:D
Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Cute
Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

It is so happy and wonderful. What a wonderful thing to make. His will be the best in the room and made with the most love.