Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: Latest WIP- need some input, please

  1. #1
    Super Member sewmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,950
    This is the quilt top that I'm making for my DIL. It's from F&P Easy Quilts, spring 2008. It has been a real pain to make. sewing the circles even with the Curve Master foot was not fun. I have done a lot of unsewing on this quilt top. I really like it though. A couple of things I need input on-the name and what type of quilting should I do on it? In my mind, I'm thinking "Galloping Circles" b/c not all my seams matched up and i would prefer if people were galloping by on a horse to view it! ha ha! :D as for the quilting, I was thinking of doing some type of grid, but would appreciate any suggestions-just keep it fairly simple as i need to get this finished real soon. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member BeckyL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    942
    How about Blue Moon for a name.

  3. #3
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmom
    , I was thinking of doing some type of grid, .
    To me, that would totally defeat and distract from all your hard work.

    It's obvious that the quilt is made up of square blocks - you don't need to reinforce that with the quilting.

    Any pattern - whether it's circular or all over FMQ - anything would be better than a grid.

    You didn't mention your FMQ comfort level.
    You could SiTD around the circles - but not in the seam (if you're concerned about the accuracy), but echo in the circles.
    It doesn't even have to be straight stitch - maybe you have a wavy stitch on your machine.
    That could add some movement and texture.

    It could be quilted with various fillers patterns in all the non-circle spaces, which would pop the circles out.
    Or quilt the circle areas with motifs - I'm a sucker for spikey flowers.

    There are a ton of possibilities.

    Sorry, not a definitive answer to your question.
    But skip the SiTD grid quilting. ;-)

    I'm really loving the turq/brown color combo.

    ooc, do you have the circular attachment for your sewing machine?
    It's pretty cool.

  4. #4
    Super Member MDMPanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyL
    How about Blue Moon for a name.
    I like "Blue Moon"!! And the colors are gorgeous...your hard work has paid off...it's beautiful!!

  5. #5
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,899
    Blog Entries
    1
    This is a gorgeous quilt. Circles radiating out from the center of the "moons" would give it wave and motion (IMHO). Once in a Blue Moon is a great name as she is the "one" for your son. Thank you for sharing.

  6. #6
    Super Member sew cornie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyL
    How about Blue Moon for a name.
    I think Blue Moon is a very fitting name for such a lovely quilt. Great suggestion.

    The quilt is so beautiful! Are you quilting it by machine or hand?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    494
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow beautiful quilt

  8. #8
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,071
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyL
    How about Blue Moon for a name.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. Beautiful quilt. I know what you mean about the curved piecing and the curve master foot. I bought one to try, they made it look so simple at the show, well, didnt make my life any easier. Made me mad! LOL I threw all my curved piecing (already cut) in a box and decided Im not touching it again until I take a class. Sounds dumb I know but I dont enjoy how long it takes me to sew one little dumb piece. You have more guts than I do to continue and you did a knock out job!

  9. #9
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,071
    Wait, I like this name even better. Murphy has GREAT ideas :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    This is a gorgeous quilt. Circles radiating out from the center of the "moons" would give it wave and motion (IMHO). Once in a Blue Moon is a great name as she is the "one" for your son. Thank you for sharing.

  10. #10
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    I love the circle/square combination....a little different than the run of the mill blocks....it has great personality and I like the name of "Once in a blue moon"

  11. #11
    Super Member sparkys_mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,373
    It really is pretty. I spent a lot of time today looking at videos on Leah Day's site. In particular, her all-over videos. If you haven't visited her site, you might find some good ideas there. Here's the link:
    http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...tart-here.html
    Scroll down and look at the videos for all over quilting and section quilting.

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,593
    Beautiful quilt top! I would really like to see that quilted in the circle pattern done with the "groovy" board that some of the LA quilters use. If you are doing it yourself, you could STD on the lines between the blocks and then use the circle parts as a guide to do concentric circles inside the fabric circles.

  13. #13
    Super Member ilovetosew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,433
    It's really pretty! I love those colours together.

  14. #14
    Super Member vivoaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Beaver PA USA
    Posts
    1,670
    Really pretty! And I really like the name "Blue Moon". Some people are just so creative...I would never have come up with a name like that... anyway - it's gorgeous! :thumbup:

  15. #15
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,150
    Blog Entries
    3
    That is so pretty! I love the circles and really love the colors! Blue Moon is a great name...I vote for that too! LOL I like the ideas MTS had for quilting it. Be sure to keep us posted on what you decide!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Mickey1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    594
    Great quilt! Like you, I tried the Curve Master also and didn't like it. I've done a couple of these quilts since and it's really not hard too hard to sew the curves once you get the hang of it.

  17. #17
    Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    greater NorthEast
    Posts
    3,212
    Blog Entries
    2
    Delightful & refreshing!

  18. #18
    Super Member Sandee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    middle America
    Posts
    2,860
    Blog Entries
    71
    That's beautiful!!

  19. #19
    Super Member sewmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1
    Great quilt! Like you, I tried the Curve Master also and didn't like it. I've done a couple of these quilts since and it's really not hard too hard to sew the curves once you get the hang of it.
    Thanks!
    I ended up pinning and using the curve master. what got me was some of them turned out perfect and some didn't no matter how many times I sewed it.

  20. #20
    Super Member LindaMRB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I love the circle/square combination....a little different than the run of the mill blocks....it has great personality and I like the name of "Once in a blue moon"
    Great name idea!
    and your quilt does look like moons.
    Great job on it!

  21. #21
    Super Member sewmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmom
    , I was thinking of doing some type of grid, .
    To me, that would totally defeat and distract from all your hard work.

    It's obvious that the quilt is made up of square blocks - you don't need to reinforce that with the quilting.

    Any pattern - whether it's circular or all over FMQ - anything would be better than a grid.

    You didn't mention your FMQ comfort level.



    You could SiTD around the circles - but not in the seam (if you're concerned about the accuracy), but echo in the circles.
    It doesn't even have to be straight stitch - maybe you have a wavy stitch on your machine.
    That could add some movement and texture.

    It could be quilted with various fillers patterns in all the non-circle spaces, which would pop the circles out.
    Or quilt the circle areas with motifs - I'm a sucker for spikey flowers.

    There are a ton of possibilities.

    Sorry, not a definitive answer to your question.
    But skip the SiTD grid quilting. ;-)

    I'm really loving the turq/brown color combo.

    ooc, do you have the circular attachment for your sewing machine?
    It's pretty cool.
    I have the circular attatchment for my machine, but I've never used it on anything this large. doesn't the fabric have to move around the pin on that? would it be possible to use it on a quilt top like this?
    I have a horrible time trying to decide how to quilt quilts. that's why I'm always asking for help. Thank you for your ideas. i will definitely consider everyone's. as far as my FMQ level-I do a lot of all over patterns, but I'm not super consistant with the design.

  22. #22
    Super Member sewmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by sew cornie
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyL
    How about Blue Moon for a name.
    I think Blue Moon is a very fitting name for such a lovely quilt. Great suggestion.

    The quilt is so beautiful! Are you quilting it by machine or hand?
    I'm machine quilting. I don't do handquilting.

  23. #23
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,471
    Beautiful

  24. #24
    Super Member cctx.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas (that's me!)
    Posts
    4,869
    Blog Entries
    2
    Beautiful quilt, awesome job.

  25. #25
    Super Member Teddybear Lady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    3,565
    The colors are just beautiful.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.