Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Leam length help >

Leam length help

Leam length help

Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 AM

I have cut my blocks aand measured several times all blocks are the same square 8". When I join two blocks I am coming out that the bottom fabric ends up 1/8' inch shorter than the top fabric. How do I correct this. I have used my Janome 1/4" foot -- the seam is 1/4". With my Accufeed foot, the seam is 3/8" with the needle set as far right as it can go. The seam length is still 1/8" difference. IN eight blocks , that equals one inch.

Can anyone help me?

my blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256473[/ATTACH]

myseams
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256474[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-256467.jpe   attachment-256468.jpe  
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Just be sure they are lined up at the top before you start sewing. Also I have better luck if I can see about a thread of the bottom piece when they are laying ready for me to sew together. Thw only suggestions I can make. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I hit the send button twice.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm not understanding the 3/8" notation. All your seams should be 1/4". Make sure the edges of the 2 pieces of fabric match up before sewing the 1/4" seam by pinning before sewing to hold them in place. On the top of the block pictured on the right, it looks like the bottom piece of fabric got a larger seam than the top piece.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 AM

I wonder if your edges don't match because of the natural push of the presser foot on the top fabric. If you pin at small intervals, that should help.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by mathteacher
I wonder if your edges don't match because of the natural push of the presser foot on the top fabric. If you pin at small intervals, that should help.
That's what I was wondering. If you have one piece a little bigger than another, always put the bigger one on the bottom and the feed dogs help you to ease them together. So maybe this is because you have too much pressure on the presser foot and it's pushing the top through faster than the bottom.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
That's what I was wondering. If you have one piece a little bigger than another, always put the bigger one on the bottom and the feed dogs help you to ease them together. So maybe this is because you have too much pressure on the presser foot and it's pushing the top through faster than the bottom.
Thanks for understanding it is Seam length.

All squares are exactly 8". With the Accufeed it has feed top and bottom and I still get the difference. The /38" seam is with the fabris on the right edge of the presser foot and the needle set as far right as it will go.

Fixed the sewm width by sticking a 1/8 " stack of post its as a guide.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
THANK YOU!

I lessened the pressure and it is perfect!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

After I posted I thought maybe you had too much pressure on the foot. Hard to think of everything but, luckily someone else did.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
After I posted I thought maybe you had too much pressure on the foot. Hard to think of everything but, luckily someone else did.
Same thing I was thinking. Glad it was the solution.

Pat