Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: learning to FMQ from what I learn from YOU!

learning to FMQ from what I learn from YOU!

I've been quilting about 1 1/2 years. For a while I was happy stitching around those ditches and sewing diagonal lines, but the FMQ bug has bitten. From this board I learned to think "snakes"
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ml#post5144232
    but I started that on this one and didn't like the way it was turning out. I was using a varigated thread and didn't like the way it looked also so ... rrrriiippppp!

From this board I learned that you can stitch a few snakes going side to side - this may be a Leah Day idea - I can't find that link that showed it. That didn't feel right either.

I usually pin anything bigger than a baby size - and spray baste smaller projects. For this one I spray basted cause I wanted it to be more stable than I thought pins would do. So I was concerned the spray wouldn't stay if I maneuvered the quilt too much.

I decided to stitch around each big block - about 1/2 inch on each side of the seams joining the blocks together. That left me with 12 large outlined blocks to play in and a sandwich I did not think would shift too much. Then I meandered my way in each block and ... it's a start.

I wouldn't be happy if I'd paid someone to quilt this for me and this is what I got back, but as a start to getting to another place in my quilitng journey I'm quite happy.

Pattern: Turning 12 - uses 12 fat quarters. The scrappy border can't be made totally from the 12 FQ's - you need to add 2 more border strips - got those from my stashlette. (EVEN BETTER: I'm in a club at my LQS and at each meeting there's a "deal". One month the deal was $1.50 for any FQ in the shop (except batiks) and I got these beautiful things. Ye-haw!

Fabric: Moda's Etchings by 3 Sisters. LOVE THIS It feels so lucious.

Backing: 108" wide from my LQS (Wyndham Fabrics by Whistler Studios)

Size: 54X70

Binding: backing brought around

Giftee: a grandson's pre-school teacher. This sweet lady is truly a gift to children and a miracle worker indeed. (SHe is my grandson's second teacher this year. In the first class he was labeled with every alphabet combination possible from ADD to Aspergers to ODD - oppositional defiant disorder - security was even called on him when he ran to a corner and started screaming. Yes, security - he's 4. I started taking a day off from MY teaching job about once a month just to provide a family/school connection for him and saw miracles happening once he was moved to a new room. From the alphabet soup to a "normal" child under this dear lady's care. And THAT given while her husband served with the National Guard in Afghanistan for 2 of the 4 years they have been married. He returned near Christmas time. Sorry to go on and on, but you don't see miracles happen every day - or even every school year.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by JanTx; 04-24-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Your quilt is amazing. So is your story. And you inspire me on many levels, particularly to keep trying to free motion quilt. Bless the sweet teacher receiving your gift!
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Lovely...love the colours you used
    Blessings from Janice

I am so sad and also happy to hear about your 4 year old grandson. Having 3 girls go through the school system I know what you are talking about. Sometimes they just don't get it, the teacher, and others are so gifted.

I think your quilt looks very nice especially for a first one. It is a very lovely quilt and she would be happy to have it, sometimes we are really "the quilt police" and too hard on ourselves. She won't be looking for what you are looking for and will love it.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    the quilt is terrific! congrats on your FMQ finish. and a great tribute to a wonderful teacher... such an opportunity that she came into his life
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Your quilt is beautiful and you did a really good job on the quilting. Thanks for the inspiration on learning to FMQ. So glad to hear your DGS is doing so much better with his new Teacher!!!!

Blog Entries
    You've done a great job. I'm also getting ready to go to the next fase in my quilting. I'm going to make some practice pieces that I can use as quilts and then in June I'm signed up for a class at the quilt show for this and I want to take on on binding. I figure that my piecing is doing pretty well so this is the next step; this and embroidery. You should be really proud of yourself.
    Judy

Beautiful quilt and story.
    Linda

Your quilt turned out lovely! She's gonna love it!

Blog Entries
    nice quilt nice quilting

Great Job!

Great story! The quilt is lovely and I liked reading about how you came to where you are with FMQ!!!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is beautiful , as for my fmq I think picture puzzle pieces and that works for me
    keep it up Noella

Very pretty!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Lovely, so happy that your DGS is doing better. Thanks for doing this for the teacher she sounds like a real treasure. BrendaK.
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I'm also an infant in the FMQ development, and let me tell you--we are far harder on ourselves than the people we make gifts for! Our eyes are drawn to the not so perfect places, and seem to rest there because we know they are there. Your quilt is fantastic, and the teacher who is receiving it will surely feel your appreciation for the difference she has made in the life of your grandson.

(I always think sea weed when I'm trying to FMQ. For some reason, it works for me!)
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Beautiful quilt and story.
    Ditto!!! Your post and pictures have inspired me. I am so thrilled for you!

What a wonderful grandmother you are! Glad he got moved to a teacher who "got it". And that teacher will absolutely love that quilt. I'm sure it will mean the world to her knowing that you and your family appreciate her.

You are wonderful! The teacher is going to love the quilt and the reason you are giving it is precious. My youngest daughter is left handed and when she was in kindergarten the teacher made her grab the back of her chair with her left hand and forced her to use her right hand and to write right handed. I was furious and in no certain terms she was told never to do it again and she did not. Of course that situation was not even close to what your little one went through and I am so thankful for that teacher after reading your story. Teahcers are such an important part of a child's life and can make or break a child's desire to learn.

The teacher is going to love your lovely quilt and all the effort that went into it to make it your best. Thank you for taking the time to say thank you to her. My youngest daughter is now a teacher herself and a very good one. Blessings to you.

Beautiful great work!!!

The whole ball of wax is wonderful! The quilt? get out! It's BEAUTIFUL! I love that fabric line, too. And Turning 12 was PERFECT for it. Your quilting? Awesome. And your story? It both breaks my heart & warms it at the same time. I'm so sorry your DGS had to go thru that but am so happy he has two such special ladies in his life (you & his new teacher). Both of you are angels! I know Teacher will love, love, love this quilt & be doubly touched by its specialness since it's from you. Thank you for sharing the quilt & the story with us.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

That's a very pretty quilt and I love the color combination!

I've also been struggling with stippling, and Leah makes it sound/look so simple, but I've just not had similar results. This might be the trick, and yes, practice is surely the key to it.

As a retired teacher, I love hearing about your grandson's teacher. . .obviously, not about the first one. When you see her, will you please tell her that you posted your story on an online quilt board, and that there was a retired teacher there who expects to meet her AND her husband in heaven! Thanks.
    Ruth

Sea weed and puzzle pieces - I can do that! I had in-person affirmation this morning. I brought my quilt to show off where I teach. SEVERAL people wanted to know to whom I 'd sent it for quilting. (THey don't know from nothing but knew people paid others to do that job.) When I said I did it myself they were so amazed! Of course, I bit my lip to keep from saying - do you SEE that raggedy little line there on that cream fabric? Can't you TELL I am doing this by the seat of my pants?? I just smiled and carried my little treasure away with me.

Next week I've taken off to go on a field with this class. Only SPECIAL people are asked to go so I'm quite honored (you have to pass a criminal background check). I am very tempted to bring my little treasure then - I'm worse than a kid at Christmas - I can't wait for her to see this. But ... I'll wait.... maybe!

Ruth - I will certainly do this. This lovely lady taught first grade until this year and then was moved to pre-k. You can imagine what she thought about that. There are 26 children in the room. (I'll let you absorb that number for a minute.) There is an aide in there most of the time. (She's getting a quilt, too.) I am a 34-year veteran teacher, but I sit in amazement at the tone, pacing, discipline, structure, and process I see in this classroom. After each visit - I think I've been there 3 times this school year and my husband went once for a walkathon activity - I write a note to her principal cc'd to her and extoll her virtues. I hope that makes a wee difference in her exhausting day!
    Last edited by JanTx; 04-25-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Such a wonderful story with a greater ending. You have just given me the push I needed to take what I've learned from Leah Day's FMQ lessons. A quilt shop I visited last week needs people to quilt quilts for children's hospital and I'm going to get some to work on. You were your inspiration today and I think you. glenda
    Look for her link here on the board and check her out. It's free and she's a great teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast