Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks >

Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Old 10-07-2020, 10:30 AM

Update; I've beem very slow with finishing my quilt. Had to almost stop due to severe allergies. I get to the point where people are thinking I'm dying from Covid. No temperature or any other symptoms other than feeling really icky.

I finally got my binding going. Have the back sewed. I watched Melanie Ham's how to do binding, which was in two parts. It's probably most understandable on this subject I've found. Took me three tries to finally figure out how to join the two ends.

Now I just have to finish the front part.

My quilting was a stitch in the ditch effort, though because of the blocks not being exactly 12 1/2 inches square in all of them, I ended up having to just quilt each block as I went. During the process I ended up not getting the thread colour quite right, so I have three blocks that are a bit strange due to the colour not being more subtle.

I did order grass green thread so that at least my border has matching colour thread.

Will post a picture when I finally get things done.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:13 PM

I definitely feel a great deal better today, enough so, that I finished binding, my Stars and Bars quilt. I like the looks, even though there are tons of imperfections due to both my skill level, and lack of knowledge about thread colours and such.

But, here is the finished product, or nearly finished. I may try doing some more quilting, but need to practise on individual squares first.
Attached Thumbnails s-b-bound-small.jpg  
Old 10-07-2020, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Very nice indeed!!
Old 10-07-2020, 04:13 PM

Wow! What an accomplishment! It's so pretty! Nice work.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:02 PM

I know my blocks were not on point when I made my first quilt. I still struggle at times! Great job on the block!
Old 10-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

It looks nice.

I wish you many hours of comfort snuggling under your quilt.

It seems you have learned lots and lots with this project.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:38 PM

bearisgray, The problem where I live is that right now in the last 3rd of November, we are still in the mid 80's during the day, and mid 40's as the low. Still just using a blanket and sheet on the bed. So the quilt is just a bed topper for now.

I'm back at it. I just finished making a boatful of HST's. I had purchased several layer cake packages, and decided to use those, along with what I have in my stash. Having only eight of each colour combination, I just couldn't figure out what I could put together with those limitations.

So I tried what is in the attached picture. The center came out fairly uniform, but as things went out, I had to get creative to try to keep things matched up. On the edges, I just had to use what I had left over.

The results are a blindingly colourful quilt.
Attached Thumbnails hst-quilt-sml.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 02:20 PM

I'm back with my completed HST quilt top. I rearranged the blocks again to create one big square in the center, bordered in all four corners with small squares. Some colours are a bit out of range, but then, that's what you get when you are limited to eight HST colour combos.

I think this quilt will only be a wall hanging type. It's about 75 x 75 inches. Each HST is finished 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches, with a border that will be 3 1/2 inches wide when the quilt is finished
Attached Thumbnails hst-quilt-top-small.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 04:29 PM

WOW!!! All I can say about your quilt just WOW! I've been quilting for years and I wouldn/couldn't make a quilt like that.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:14 AM

misseva, I hope that means you like it. It is kind of brightly coloured. I hope you still can see after viewing the picture. It took me two tries to get the blocks arranged the way I wanted them. Then I had to go back after piecing the long strips together, and redo about 20 of the blocks, as I ended up goofing mostly at the beginning of each strip. Got the first two blocks either out of order, or somehow managed to get them rotated. I still have two blocks that aren't a mirror image of the opposite end, and have decided it isn't worth tearing apart the quilt top to fix that minor problem.