Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let me show you how much waste this is with a Accuquilt GO

Blog Entries
    I've seen several post about this subject. I just got done cutting strips for a quilt. There is almost no waste. Here is a picture after I cut all the strips today. The pile on the left is the waste and the pile on the right will go into a rag quilt. As long as you lay your fabric out right you use almost all of it. I love my GO cutter.

Here is a close up
    Name:  Attachment-204513.jpe
Views: 54
Size:  54.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I will have to check into the GO cutter.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing this information.

I LOVE mine, too. I got it because I have lost some use of hands due to neuropathy. I cut strips the other day to do a quilted jacket and I was amazed at the amount of waste. Yeah!!

I love your fabric choices.

Wow!

Blog Entries
    I would love to have one but I wish they had a place you could rent the dies because I don't want to buy them for a one time use.

Senior Member cedarvalleyquilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agree there is little waste.....I love my GO, and it really speeds me up. Love it to cut binding strips.

Christine

Blog Entries
    Maybe you could work something out with some other quilters in you area to either share dies or borrow them. You can't go wrong with the strip dies. They are well worth the money an you would get a lot of use out of them. I already have 35 dies for my GO. I also plan to get a couple of the new ones that they are testing to see if they are going to be added permanately in a few weeks.

Thnx for sharing..

Does your handle turn really easily or do you find you have to crank it?

Blog Entries
    Heads up on an Accuquilt Go with some dies. The owner/moderator of a great yahoo group that I know and have ordered things from has one listed on eBay. He is currently helping his mother clean out some of her "stuff" to pay for medical bills, etc. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you the link and his name, etc. He actually lives in North MS about 2 hours from me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewaholic
    Does your handle turn really easily or do you find you have to crank it?
    It's not to hard to turn. I have major neck and back pain and don't have to much problem using it. I find it is harder the more layers of fabric you put on it. I only do four layers at a time. I learned the hard way that more is not always better. When I first got it I was using the diamond die and doing 8 layers. I bent the die in one area. I had no problem taking it back and getting it exchanged for a new one though.

Thanks Arizonagirl for replying.

OK...thanks..Now I just have to find the time to open the box and use it....since early Apr...

I have had an Accuquilt Go since Jan and I can attest to the minimal amount of waste. One of the best tips I can pass to others is to outline each die with a permanant maker. This way you will know your fabric is covering the entire die. And ...it is not hard to turn the crank at all. I use no more than 6 (but usually 4) layers of cotton fabric.

Blog Entries
    It took me a little while before I started to use it after my DH got it for me. It's a little intimating at first, but once you start using it, it is very easy to use. It was easier to cut all those fat quarters than it was to press them all before cutting them.

Blog Entries
    I outlined all of my dies also. It makes fabric placement very easy.

can anyone show the waste when cutting out shapes such as tumblers or diamonds?

No offense but that's no better than what I have cutting strips with a rotary cutter. My guess is the "waste" people are talking about involves other shapes. I'm indifferent about the "Go" but it's just a hunch.

I just got an Accu a few weeks ago and I've heard alot of people talking about wasted but there really isn't anymore than usual. I've cut alot of shaped and there is some waste but beings I pre iron the webbing before cutting I just keep whats left to use for a smaller cut. Like I cut out some flowers and took a previous cut of fabric to put in the little circle for the center. I have a box I keep with all the leftovers for other things so really not to much waste there either. I love my Accucutter. I just showed a Rag Quilt I did with mine and it went really fast and not to much waste for that either. Its awesome. I sold my motorcycle and bought it and I'm getting alot more miles out of the Accu :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    It's all in the planning. Mark you dies so you can see the cutting lines for placement. And like Kim said any larger scrapes can be used for other dies where you can use the left over pieces. Also you don't run the chance of a miss cut like can happen when you rotary cut. Examples the ruler shifts or you measured wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonagirl
    It's all in the planning. Mark you dies so you can see the cutting lines for placement. And like Kim said any larger scrapes can be used for other dies where you can use the left over pieces. Also you don't run the chance of a miss cut like can happen when you rotary cut. Examples the ruler shifts or you measured wrong.
    Yeah another good idea. Marking the lines. I took a yellow marker and marked all mine. It sure helps to see where to place everything. Have fun. Thanks for showing pictures of yours. :thumbup:

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Cool!

Blog Entries
    Very interesting. This little machine may help a lot of arthritic hands. What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast