Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A little help with my Crappie Quilt would be nice >

A little help with my Crappie Quilt would be nice

A little help with my Crappie Quilt would be nice

Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM

LOVE IT! I believe I'd drop the feed dogs and FMQ to outline each of the fishes....after that, I'd see what others would suggest. Have fun!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Your quilt is really nice. I'm a hand quilter and the easiest way to get started is to do a line 1/4 from each seam. It's done that way so you don't catch all the material in the seam. You can use a hoop, like embroidery or I use a PVC frame and lots of people just pick it up and quilt. Make sure sure when you sandwich your quilt to pin it every 2 to 3 inches. Your first few stitches will be much larger than the ones you'll do after you've been quilting on it a while. Hand quilting takes longer but it is very relaxing and rewarding. You'll be proud of yourself when you are done.
My son would love your quilt, he's a fisherman, and his favorite color is green. It seems lots of guys like green.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Tell you a true story…………When I first got married my husband had a friend that loved to fish. Am not up on kinds of fish so one day this friend came over to my house and left me some fish…..I wasn’t home at the time so he left a note that said he had some crappy fish he didn’t want so he left it in the freezer for us…………..well I came unglued and said what makes him think that we would eat crappy fish So I put it in the garbage. When my husband got home I told him what happened and that’s when I learned all about fish. crap·pie [kráppee](plural crap·pies or crap·pie)
Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Please tell me where you got the fabric for the crappie fish. That's what my husband likes to do. He has a camper on the Alabama River and I would love to suprise him with something like this. Great Quilt.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:13 PM

my hubby would love this great job
Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 PM

I love the quilt and your embroidered crappie. Have you seen sewlmatesister's posting called "More Big Stitches" earlier today? She's got a great water design around her lighthouses that may work well around your crappie. Check it out.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:27 PM

I had to laugh. In Texas we pronounce it "Croppie" but same spelling. My dear little grandmother always called them "crappies." We all use to laugh at her. I would go around the squares & do free motion around the fish & rest of square. Love the fabric. Have never seen it before, Made a nice quilt.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Cute! I would just meander on this one.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Now that's a diffrent quilt. Sorry I can't help in regards to the quilting. Some parts are very busy so I'm sure any simple quilt stitch would be very nice.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 PM

This may be called crappy but....This color combination is wonderful. When I first looked at it, I wondered "why crappy". Then the close ups...love these fish. It never ceases to amaze me "how the right color combination" can make any fabric look GREAT.

Love this!!!!!!