Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A little treat from my cousin... >

A little treat from my cousin...

A little treat from my cousin...

Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Our sewing classes at school make those to give as gifts and to use when they learn how to sew. They use a cap from a soda bottle, small bits of fabric cut in a 3 inch circle, narrow elastic cut just long enough so it fits around your finger, and batting. First gather up the way you would if making a yo-yo. Pull the yo-yo enough to gather i some and stuff the batting into the fabric, then pull tightly so it forms a ball shape. Hot glue the ball shape into the bottle cap making sure all the fabric edges go into the cap. Hot glue the two edges of elastic to the outside of the bottle cap. The kids embellish with ribbon so that the sides of the cap do not show.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
Our sewing classes at school make those to give as gifts and to use when they learn how to sew. They use a cap from a soda bottle, small bits of fabric cut in a 3 inch circle, narrow elastic cut just long enough so it fits around your finger, and batting. First gather up the way you would if making a yo-yo. Pull the yo-yo enough to gather i some and stuff the batting into the fabric, then pull tightly so it forms a ball shape. Hot glue the ball shape into the bottle cap making sure all the fabric edges go into the cap. Hot glue the two edges of elastic to the outside of the bottle cap. The kids embellish with ribbon so that the sides of the cap do not show.
Thanks for the instructions. Only thing I need to do is tighten it a little as I have old, skinny fingers
Old 12-03-2010, 04:07 PM

As a quilt guild, we got together and mass produced these little pin cushions. What a riot!
Anyway, we sold them during our quilt show for $1.00 each. It was quite the little fundraiser.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Cyn

I love mine! I use it most of all!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 PM

i got one to love it when o go some where and doing my hand work they are nice but just a little tight on my fingure
Old 12-03-2010, 04:50 PM

That is a cute pincushion, but your ring is beautiful!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:53 PM

We actually made one in a craft class on a cruise many years ago....I thought they were weird....but have since found them for sale! Enjoy!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie
As a quilt guild, we got together and mass produced these little pin cushions. What a riot!
Anyway, we sold them during our quilt show for $1.00 each. It was quite the little fundraiser.
Tell us how you made yours, Dawn!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 PM

you are so right it is a finger pin cushion. they are so easy to make. you need a metal pop bottle cap or beer bottle cap, some fiberfill, a small circle of fabric a piece of 1/4 inch elastic and a hot glue gun.Cover the cap with fabric and glue it to the inside. measure a piece of elastic to fit your finger and glue the loose ends to the inside of the cap also. take a circle of fabric and sew the edge like you would for a yo yo, stuff with fiberfill and glue to the inside of the cap. and it is finished. I just guesstimate the size of the circle. Don't really have a pattern. but they are fun and fast to make.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 PM

We made them with 20 oz. pop bottle lids. I think we punched two small holes in the top of the lid. Then we put a piece of elastic through one hole, tied a knot, cut the elastic to a length that would accommodate a finger and another knot. Then, we put the other end of the elastic through the other hole and tied it. We used circles of fabric and stitched them like you would a yo-yo. Before pulling them tight, we stuffed them with polyfil and extra batting scraps. We tied them so they wouldn't come undone. Next, we hot glued them into the bottle caps with the opening down. To finish them off, we wrapped a piece of ribbon around the sides of the bottle cap and hot glued it in place.
It's pretty similar to what the other ladies have been posting.