Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Lonestar quilt >

Lonestar quilt

Lonestar quilt

Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Here is my lonestar quilt. Pattern is also known as Star of Bethlehem. It was machine pieced using the stips then the sewn strips were cut at a 45 degree angle and those resulting strips were sewn together to make the star points. I hand quilted it. The top went together quickly but it took me a couple of years of off and on quilting to complete it. I actually kept track for a while and it has over 200 hours of handquilting work. Unfortunately, this was my second bed size quilt and I didn't know and used poly batting which fell apart in places before I could finish it. So there are places where there is quilting but no batting. Also used cheapy JoAnn fabrics so I will never make those mistakes again. So without further ado here is the first of many pictures.

A closeup of the quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39415[/ATTACH]

Another close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39440[/ATTACH]

Lonestar quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39470[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-39415.jpe   attachment-39440.jpe   attachment-39470.jpe  
Old 07-04-2009, 08:26 AM

WOW! That is so pretty! I really love the Lonestar pattern, but just haven't gotten to it yet. I have a list of quilts I want to make and that is pretty close to the top.

Your quilting is beautiful. I am always so impressed with hand quilting.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:30 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing. And let us see more of your work!

I know what you are saying about using cheap fabrics. If I am going to spend this much time on a pieced quilt and then to hand quilt, I will get better fabrics. And I learned through experience that not all battings are created equal! :?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:39 AM

wow...you really put a ton of time into this and it's a beauty. Amzaing what you learn about quality along the way in terms of making quilts. I had a non-quilter friend tell me I should buy less expensive fabrics, but at this point, frankley, I'd rather not make something than work with cheap (not necessarily inexpensive) products all the way around - from the thread, needles, pins, to the batting and fabric!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Love your quilt, and admire your stick-to-it-ive-ness!
I consider myself, a moderate-frugal.
I am on a budget, so I really want quality on some things.
I do buy at Joann's and Wal-mart, but have to say, since wal mart's quality in fabrics, has been going downhill, not going to miss them as much as I thought I would.
I just look closely at the grain, and of course we quilters, always touch and feel, so I put my hand underneath, to see if I can see my rings, etc.
If I like the thickness, I go for it. If I don't think it's thick enough...and I really like the fabric...I just groan, and walk away.
Pretty ain't worth it, if it's only skin deep.
I don't know what I'm gonna do, buying online. Won't be able to feel, or make sure of shade :roll:
Like you, I am thinking more an more of the cotton type battings.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:06 AM

Your are a wonderful quilter!! :D
It's as beautiful as all of your
others quilts!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 07-04-2009, 09:44 AM

That is ver pretty I love your quilting.Looks like you did a great job. I was wondering did you have any trouble with the center of the star laying flat. I have one I am working on,but it is a log cabin with the lone star in the middle. It sounds like I cut the star the same way you did. I made one and sold it then made me one,and when I got the star done the ceter of it was puffed I redone it 3 times and never could get it to lay right. So I have now cut out another star thinking maybe I cut something wrong. Will let you know if I ever get it done. It is all done except the star part.Hope it turns out as good as yours. But don't think I will hand quilt it.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Lovely quilt. Your hand quilting is wonderful. I myself am just starting to hand quilt.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Patty44
I was wondering did you have any trouble with the center of the star laying flat.
Yes, when it was just a top the center of the star "volcanoed up" on me. I ripped it out and resewed it twice and it still did it. I had read in a quilting book that this was a common problem in this pattern but not to worry you could quilt it flat. Sure enough once I did my quilting which was a 1/4" outline from every seam in the star the center where all the points came together flattened right out for me.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Darn,here I have ripped mine out three times and started on a new one.But at least that gives me hope,I have it started laying on the sewing machine but keep putting it off,for fear of it doing it again.