Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Look what was given to me yesterday....

  1. #1
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,469
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have a realtor friend who stopped for tea and brought me this quilt top. Someone was selling her house and fallen on hard times; had to get rid of stuff. This is all finished, king-size, with about 6 yards of fabric for backing, and batting. Not necessarily my colors, but I think it will work (if I can keep the dogs off it). It is beautifully sewed.

    closeup view
    Name:  Attachment-155038.jpe
Views: 57
Size:  89.6 KB

    the backing
    Name:  Attachment-155039.jpe
Views: 55
Size:  99.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member CloverPatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    1,259
    Blog Entries
    2
    love the technique and pattern. would love to make something like that. If only i had the kind of skill! it is georgous! nice score!

  3. #3
    Super Member terri bb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    2,196
    wow there's a ton of work that went into that!! enjoy it!

  4. #4
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,492
    Wow! It's really nice. Enjoy!!

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    How sad that must have made the owner!! I'll bet she would be glad to know her lovely quilt has found a new home where it'll be loved.

  6. #6
    Super Member Maggiesmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    2,014
    Blog Entries
    1
    Those are definitely my colors. It certainly looks spring and very unique.

  7. #7
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Grann, by the time you finish this I bet you will fall in love with it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's gorgeous :D:D

  8. #8
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    What a beauty!

  9. #9
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,469
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Grann, by the time you finish this I bet you will fall in love with it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's gorgeous :D:D
    Well, I already am very fond of it. It actually looks pretty good in my sunny yellow room. I know someone had to be devastated to get rid of it after putting so much work into it. When I get it finished I will give my friend a picture, that maybe she can give to the lady that made it. I understand it is called "Blooming 9-patch".

  10. #10
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    It's a Blooming 9 Patch, from Traditions with A Twist, by Blanche DeYoung.

    I've made over a dozen of them, and helped friends pick out fabric for even more. It's a fabulous pattern. Tons of piecing, but you learn a lot. The fabric is really the star in a quilt like this, and the ability to blend them from one to the next.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    It's a Blooming 9 Patch, from Traditions with A Twist, by Blanche DeYoung.

    I've made over a dozen of them, and helped friends pick out fabric for even more. It's a fabulous pattern. Tons of piecing, but you learn a lot. The fabric is really the star in a quilt like this, and the ability to blend them from one to the next.
    Yes--that's just what I was going to say. gaigai just did her Lilacs with this pattern. I can't wait to make one.

  12. #12
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,469
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    It's a Blooming 9 Patch, from Traditions with A Twist, by Blanche DeYoung.

    I've made over a dozen of them, and helped friends pick out fabric for even more. It's a fabulous pattern. Tons of piecing, but you learn a lot. The fabric is really the star in a quilt like this, and the ability to blend them from one to the next.
    Yes, the more I look at it, the more I see. I sure do appreciate the amount of work that she put into it. I can't wait to get it finished. I am not too crazy about the outside part, but the rest of it is lovely. She did a wonderful job picking the fabrics. And it all goes so well together.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    948
    wow, score!

  14. #14
    Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Sioux City, SD
    Posts
    1,729
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have never seen a quilt like that. What a beaufiul gift. Enjoy.

  15. #15
    Super Member belmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,874
    What a beautiful gift for you to finish. Have fun!

  16. #16
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Grann, I know what you mean. To have to give it up d/t hard times is so sad :(
    At least it's in your good hands. Now how to keep Gus and Heidi off?? lol :D

  17. #17
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    I have a realtor friend who stopped for tea and brought me this quilt top. Someone was selling her house and fallen on hard times; had to get rid of stuff. This is all finished, king-size, with about 6 yards of fabric for backing, and batting. Not necessarily my colors, but I think it will work (if I can keep the dogs off it). It is beautifully sewed.
    The top is very pretty! Not so sure about the back but for Free your so Lucky 8-)

  18. #18
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,469
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Grann, I know what you mean. To have to give it up d/t hard times is so sad :(
    At least it's in your good hands. Now how to keep Gus and Heidi off?? lol :D
    It will be easy for the next 2 months, since we are still on the air mattress. I think I will leave it on the bed for a while with some Febreeze on it. It smells stale, not musty, just stale from being in a bag. And I don't know how long it has been riding in my friend's trunk. As long as the gate is still up, it is safe.

  19. #19
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,469
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    I have a realtor friend who stopped for tea and brought me this quilt top. Someone was selling her house and fallen on hard times; had to get rid of stuff. This is all finished, king-size, with about 6 yards of fabric for backing, and batting. Not necessarily my colors, but I think it will work (if I can keep the dogs off it). It is beautifully sewed.
    The top is very pretty! Not so sure about the back but for Free your so Lucky 8-)
    I agree, itis a little dull, but I guess it makes a good accent for the top. The border is the same fabric. At least I don't have to buy any fabric for it.

  20. #20
    Super Member TFquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    I have a realtor friend who stopped for tea and brought me this quilt top. Someone was selling her house and fallen on hard times; had to get rid of stuff. This is all finished, king-size, with about 6 yards of fabric for backing, and batting. Not necessarily my colors, but I think it will work (if I can keep the dogs off it). It is beautifully sewed.
    Wow, very pretty...

  21. #21
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Yes, the more I look at it, the more I see. I sure do appreciate the amount of work that she put into it. I can't wait to get it finished. I am not too crazy about the outside part, but the rest of it is lovely. She did a wonderful job picking the fabrics. And it all goes so well together.
    The color? Or the blend?

    Depending on what kind of shop one is in when choosing the fabrics, you sometimes have to make compromises.
    This quilt looks like it has 8 fabrics, which is how the pattern is written in the book.

    I like to start with the #4 or #5 fabric and work my up and down. That way you can kind of control some of the colors in the quilt.

    But there are times even those have to be swapped out because they don't work anymore with the other fabrics you've chosen. It is not a 15 minute process, by any means, even in a huge store with thousands of bolts (although that allows more options).

    In my first one, I had picked the 8 fabrics (even cut some of them), and it was a really good "bloom." But I wasn't thrilled when I started putting them together, and ended up swapping out 4 of them.

    The challenge is to make the 9-patches disappear.

    You do enough of them :roll: and you can easily spot what will work and what won't, and why.

  22. #22
    Power Poster RedGarnet222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    14,522
    OMG!!
    She really has a lovely heart to think of you and give when her world is so shaky.
    All that being said, WOw What a beauty!

  23. #23
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,469
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Yes, the more I look at it, the more I see. I sure do appreciate the amount of work that she put into it. I can't wait to get it finished. I am not too crazy about the outside part, but the rest of it is lovely. She did a wonderful job picking the fabrics. And it all goes so well together.
    The color? Or the blend?

    Depending on what kind of shop one is in when choosing the fabrics, you sometimes have to make compromises.
    This quilt looks like it has 8 fabrics, which is how the pattern is written in the book.

    I like to start with the #4 or #5 fabric and work my up and down. That way you can kind of control some of the colors in the quilt.

    But there are times even those have to be swapped out because they don't work anymore with the other fabrics you've chosen. It is not a 15 minute process, by any means, even in a huge store with thousands of bolts (although that allows more options).

    In my first one, I had picked the 8 fabrics (even cut some of them), and it was a really good "bloom." But I wasn't thrilled when I started putting them together, and ended up swapping out 4 of them.

    The challenge is to make the 9-patches disappear.

    You do enough of them :roll: and you can easily spot what will work and what won't, and why.
    Yes, there are 8 fabrics, actually 10 counting the border. I guess the part I'm not too crazy about is that last large print with the black background. The 2 outside prints are a grey-blue and so the black background to me doesn't really go with it. But I know how hard it is to find the right colors. When she first showed it to me I didn't realize it was a 9-patch. Then this morning I got it out and really looked at it and said to myself, "WOW!" Thanks for all the information about how you do it. I know I would never have that much patience.

  24. #24
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,643
    Absolutely beautiful. Good for you to get it.

  25. #25
    Super Member Mazda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,025
    Pretty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.