Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Look What I Found at a Garage Sale This Morning! >

Look What I Found at a Garage Sale This Morning!

Look What I Found at a Garage Sale This Morning!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:36 AM

I think it would be great to make children's "cuddle" quilts and give to children at a local hospital. A quilt could be made using 4 blocks, sash and border, and think of how many ill kids would have a security quilt. I bet the grandmother who made the blocks would be very pleased to know that they went to such a good cause !!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 AM

OMG. Did you ever luck out! I'm sure you'll make something really pretty with it.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 AM

Those are adorable! What a great find - I love to go garage saleing you never know what great treasures are out there!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 AM

Goodness! $2 for the whole 30 blocks - doing the math that less than .07 cents per block! Stupendous! :)
Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Zoe

You are so fortunate to find these precious blocks. I was given several Sunbonnet Sues by a dear friend, now in her 80's. The blocks were made by her mother who died in 1998. There are no grandchildren to inherit them, and it seems that none of the nieces and nephews were interested. My friend knows how much I treasure the quilts my own mother made, and she wanted me to have these blocks knowing that I would treasure her mother's handwork. I put the maker's name, date of birth and other info to so identify her on the label. I also included my friend's name, so they will not be lost to history and, in the meantime, I get to enjoy these beauties. Good luck. :D
Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 AM

Lucky find, wish I could even come across nice material at a yard sale.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Zoe

Dear Teacup, We are kindred souls in that I agree I would never, ever sell any of my late mother's quilt blocks. The first quilt top I finished was when my mother brought the quilt top that her older sister made during the depression years, but never finished. My husband built a quilt frame, similar to one he had seen in a magazine, where the frame would be pulled up to the ceiling when not in use. My mother spent an entire summer with us here in Northern Virginia when we were posted back to the States, and we handquilted that top together. My daughter, my best friends and others all put in stitches for us. We made the classic beginner's mistakes, but so what? I would not trade those memories or that top for anything.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 AM

I have plenty of time. If you want to sell them Let me know the price. I repaired my mothers quilt . The dolls were made of feed sacks and put on muslim squares. The quilt had 14 dolls just like yours and were about 75 yrs old. I gave the quilt to one of my favorite nieces new baby. I am 73 now and made them 3 rears ago.Hugs Msaster
Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 AM

What an amazing find! They deserve to be treasured and not sold! Good for you. You will treasure them like they should be. Congrats on your new 'family' of Sue'!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Oh, I am sooooo jealous. My grandmother made lots of these; and that was to be one of my projects this summer -- to make a quilt like my grandmother used to make. You're a lucky duck. If you need help, I'll be glad to take them off your hands (LOL). :D