Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Look What I Got At The Flea Market!

  1. #1
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Finally went to the Flea Market this weekend (I think it is hard traveling with a cane, so don’t get out as much as I use to!!)
    We (DH and I) had started out just for a ride. Stopped by the Flea Market just to take a look and see what they had new, usually not much, same old stuff!

    This lady had a table of all kinds of “junk” (another man’s treasure!) and way over on the end was this little wooden thingy!
    So, I asked “How much?”
    She looked very puzzled-----I don’t think she even knew she had this wooden thingy on the table!!!!
    She picked it up and turned it over a couple of times (of course no price on it!!)
    Looked at me and said “Would a dollar be too much?”
    I looked at her and said “No, I’ll take it”
    And to DH “Pay the woman!”
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    It measeures 12 x 12 roughly.
    I wouldn't mind having a couple more of these! At that price!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

  3. #3
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good Find!!! My mind is thinking up all kinds of wonderful uses for it!!! A dollar very well spent :D :D :D

  4. #4
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mary, I see a cute little dolly's quilt hanging on it! Or you could grow some Japanese Bindweed up it LOL!

    K x

  5. #5
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Good Find!!! My mind is thinking up all kinds of wonderful uses for it!!! A dollar very well spent :D :D :D
    Thinking a doll quilt if my granddaughter doesn't take it first! :lol:

  6. #6
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Mary, I see a cute little dolly's quilt hanging on it! Or you could grow some Japanese Bindweed up it LOL!

    K x
    Oh, I will never live down the "flowering weed" Will I??? :oops: :lol: :wink:
    You know for 19 years everyone had been talking about how pretty that flowering vine was! several wanted a start!
    But, no this one is not going to get the vine! I started on a doll quilt last night. And boy did I ever do a mess with my machine---I am going back to hand qulting!

  7. #7
    MelissaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    304
    Is it a mini quilt holder? Forgive me :(

  8. #8
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaK
    Is it a mini quilt holder? Forgive me :(
    I am not really sure but it looks like it to me!
    At least I thought it was. that is why I paid a dollar for it
    Does anyone know of another use for it (besides for my "bindweed"!!) :lol: :wink: :?: :?:

  9. #9
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    Great find. It has lots of potential.

  10. #10
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Very interesting looking wooden thingy. Aside from thinking the doll quilt idea is a great one, the only other thing I could come up with is that maybe it's to hold hand towels??? Very, very interesting.

  11. #11
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    I think a doll quilt rack would be a wonderful use for it!! Or a small quilted hanging or pretty holiday dish towels or.... :D :D

  12. #12
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,008
    Looks like a mini quilt rack if you ask me!

  13. #13
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    I'm saying mini quilt rack...thats my story and I'm stickin' to it :lol:

  14. #14
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    My best guess would be a pasta drying rack when you make homemade noodles. It may have been used to prop up a cookbook, or display a large platter, maybe?

  15. #15
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    mkanderson don't feel bad. I planted giant marigold seeds one year and for several weeks watched this plant grow and grow to a full luscious bush sans buds. Every week i was out there on my hands and knees weeding and watering and fertilizing my baby. One day I was standing there looking at the full bush of green with a confused frustrated look on my face and the neighbor (a wonderful gardener) walked over and started to stare at the plant too. He said "what cha doin?" I said I was trying to figure out why my marigold has not budded or bloomed yet. He said, "I can tell you that" I said, "why?" He said, "Cause it is a ragweed. I have been wondering for weeks why you have been nurturing that weed". I could have hit him at that moment. I told him if he saw me doing anything stupid again I would appreciate if he would tell me. I just let the weeds grow now. I don't even try to garden.

    Love the little quilt rack too.

  16. #16
    Super Member zyxquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    3,776
    First thing I thought when I saw it was mini quilt rack too! Looking forward to seeing what you hang on it :D

  17. #17
    basicfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    75
    hi. I showed your flea market find to hubby and told him of the discussion on this board regarding what it could be. He "made a funny" or then again, maybe not. He suggested a 3 or 4 toliet paper holder. Well, you would never run out. :lol:

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Way cool. Don't ya just love deals like that? :D

  19. #19
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Great find. It has lots of potential.
    Littlehud…I think the mini quilt rack is what I am going with on this one! :wink:

  20. #20
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Very interesting looking wooden thingy. Aside from thinking the doll quilt idea is a great one, the only other thing I could come up with is that maybe it's to hold hand towels??? Very, very interesting.
    Ducky… Hadn’t really thought about towels!!?! That would work too! :lol:

  21. #21
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I think a doll quilt rack would be a wonderful use for it!! Or a small quilted hanging or pretty holiday dish towels or.... :D :D
    Sewjoyce…Mini quilt rack and then switch at the Holidays to dish towels on the counter :?: :lol: :?:

  22. #22
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Looks like a mini quilt rack if you ask me!
    Tlrnhi….That is the first thing I “saw”! “Quilt Rack”
    But I see "quilts" in about anything!! :roll: :lol: :D

  23. #23
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I'm saying mini quilt rack...thats my story and I'm stickin' to it :lol:
    Sandpat….Me too!! :D :lol: :wink:

  24. #24
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    My best guess would be a pasta drying rack when you make homemade noodles. It may have been used to prop up a cookbook, or display a large platter, maybe?
    Moonpi…. You know, you could be right! When you find something like this with no label they could have made it and used it for anything! (it has been handmade because it is ruff around the top edges!) :lol: :wink:

  25. #25
    Senior Member mkanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    mkanderson don't feel bad. I planted giant marigold seeds one year and for several weeks watched this plant grow and grow to a full luscious bush sans buds. Every week i was out there on my hands and knees weeding and watering and fertilizing my baby. One day I was standing there looking at the full bush of green with a confused frustrated look on my face and the neighbor (a wonderful gardener) walked over and started to stare at the plant too. He said "what cha doin?" I said I was trying to figure out why my marigold has not budded or bloomed yet. He said, "I can tell you that" I said, "why?" He said, "Cause it is a ragweed. I have been wondering for weeks why you have been nurturing that weed". I could have hit him at that moment. I told him if he saw me doing anything stupid again I would appreciate if he would tell me. I just let the weeds grow now. I don't even try to garden.

    Love the little quilt rack too.

    Kwhite …I will you what happened to me with marigold seeds!!!!
    :shock: :shock: :shock: I looked and looked for the dwarf ones to go in my flowers boxes….finally found them, put them out …DH watered them….they grew (and grew and grew and grew….out of the flower box!).

    I fussed and fussed “you can not get anything any more. They lie to you! They were to be little ones –not big ones!!!!” :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil:

    DH looks at me (now this is after he was with me when I looked for three years for the small ones) “they are suppose to be little?” “YEP”
    “I thought they weren’t growing like they should so I watered with Miracle Grow!” :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:


    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.