Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Lookie what I did!! >

Lookie what I did!!

Lookie what I did!!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by 3incollege
I'm so glad you finally tried it. Now that your hooked,you can start making the mini's. It is unbelievable how small you can go.
This is just what I am going to start!! I managed to find some muslim back in the U.K. last week, and read one of the previous posts about sticking the muslim to freezer paper and feeding thru the printer...has anybody actually tried doing this for mini/midget blocks???

Old 04-13-2008, 04:29 PM

You have to have precise 1/4 inch seams on all pieces after they have been cut precisely. If your seams are off any, it will reflect in the finished piece. Thus, your points aren't joined as they would be if all of your seams were accurate. I learned this the hard way. I had to rip out my points many times before mine were accurate. Good luck. GiGi :D :D
Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 AM

Izzy...yes, the freezer paper ironed shiny side down on to muslin works great...just make sure to cut paper size for printer and leave no frayed edges. I make many small blocks using paper and don't sew them on muslin. I just sew them right on the paper using smaller stitch length as to make ripping it off later easy. You will have fun w/this and keep us posted in your activity over there!!:))Skeat
Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 AM
Izy

Thanks for the tips Skeat, I have already started on paper, for the midget blocks, using the scraps donated by Ann the lady in the group we were all grappling for her leftovers tee hee!! - All of the bits I managed to whittle away are really bright colours - magenta, turquoise, bright yellow, orange, lime green - my is it gonna be bright!! Its really refreshing to work with bright colours for a change as my main quilt which is still in progress is all soft terracottas and this has a totally different 'feel' about it!! I am not in a rush with this project, as I was looking for a project to work on whilst sitting outside as the weather is warming up very quickly now, and obviously can't bear the extra weight of a full size quilt on your lap whilst spending most of the day in the garden. So the tiny blocks done by english paper piecing will come in really handy don't you agree!! :D :D

I will post some pictures as soon as I have done a couple completely for you to see!!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 AM

Izy, I'd be so excited to see pictures of all your projects as I am sure others will too!!:0)The bright colors sound like great fun!I'm peeking out one eye at that English Paper piecing...:))hmmm...It might bite me yet!!:0)Glad to be of any help!! I think the best part of paper piecing is that you can walk away, come back later and pick it right up again:)). Keep us posted!!Skeat
Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 AM
Izy

Sure will Skeat, I am also gonna post some pictures later of my day out in Sevilla yesterday, the flamenco dresses were just amazing to see!!

Watch out for the post later - hope you enjoy seeing abit of local culture in spain :!:
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 AM

Izy....we will be waiting for it!!:0)How exciting for you to see in person!!Skeat
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 AM

wow.. I think it looks really great, I have no pointers for you since I am afraid to try paper piecing myself.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Oh no...dont be afraid....jump in, you will LOVE it!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Izy

Hannasmom - have you tried doing it the english way, by doing a precise drawing of whatever size block - cut out each piece - easy if you a rotary cutter with an old blade in - the wrap fabric around each piece and tack - the whip stitch the edges together. You get a very acurate and neat block this way!! This is how I will probably end up doing most of the midget blocks !!