Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lunar Eclipse

Oh, that is so pretty. Was it hard?

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Oh, that is so pretty. Was it hard?
    No it wasn't hard, as long as you take your time and sew carefully so the circles stay circular.

You have inspired me and I love your quilt. Thank you for sharing the link. Batiks are one of my favorite fabrics and this is a great pattern for using them. Another one to add to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb G
    You have inspired me and I love your quilt. Thank you for sharing the link. Batiks are one of my favorite fabrics and this is a great pattern for using them. Another one to add to my list.
    Thanks Deb. Batiks are my addiction, I have a hard time shopping in the other areas of the quilt shop!

That is simply exquisite!!! I LOVE the color--so bold and striking. It is going to be the focal point of your dining room.

oh wow, it's beautiful!

[quote=twistedstitcher

No it wasn't hard, as long as you take your time and sew carefully so the circles stay circular. [/quote]END QUOTE

i love bright, bold colors. this quilt is wonderful. i wish i could claim it as mine! can i?

but i don't think i understand. what is the advantage to doing it this way as opposed to doing it the regular way? just as you would in drunkard's path sewing quarter circles? this looks like more work and more waste.

i understand the directions, and i thought she was going to leave the circle whole. i think that's a neat way to do it. but when she cut it into quarters i was very surprised.[quote]

Butterflywing, I don't know if there is an advantage to using this method if you're going to cut the circle in 4. Since that wasn't my plan, this method worked well for me.

so, you just left them as full circles? that's what i would have done. that way you don't have to match seams.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    so, you just left them as full circles? that's what i would have done. that way you don't have to match seams.
    Yep. I saw the quilt in a magazine and used this method because it looked easier than the method in the magazine, it used a lot of pins and the glue was much easier.

Oh that is pretty.....sure did a nice job!!.....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher

Yep. I saw the quilt in a magazine and used this method because it looked easier than the method in the magazine, it used a lot of pins and the glue was much easier.
    why do you think the seam allowances get cut away? do you think it's just to change the proportion of circle to square? this is very nice. the circle fills the square very nicely. once you join the blocks they become even smaller and the circle becomes even bigger. what size block did you start with? did they give the pattern or are you expected to draw your own. it wouldn't be hard. that info re: the freezer paper is weird. it would be too bad to have it shrink from steaming.

also, i don't understand why the square has to be marked on the centers without also marking the circle (EDIT- i do know: it's because she cut it in quarters, so she needed the marks).. i don't think it needs it, do you? wherever you put the circle should be fine.

it's a very interesting method, that's for sure. and it's good to see the finished product. tell the truth. did you do it to because you knew it would look terrific or to see how the method would work? i would have! both! LOL! :lol: :lol:

Those colors rock! My brother would kill to have a quilt like that. Beautiful quilting!

Blog Entries
    Love it.

Butterflywing, I started with a 9" square and the circle is 5" in diameter. After the blocks were sewn, I trimmed the blocks to 8.5" after marking the center of the circle to make sure it was centered in the block.

that is really fantastic! i'm still amazed by how great that looks. you sure picked the right colors for that project. the circles just 'bounce' out of the squares.

terrific work. :thumbup: :thumbup:

well...i am your most ardent admirer! :)

keep up the great work. and thanks for letting me pick your brain.

Stunning quilt. Love the thread used in the quilting. Don't know if I will ever use this method, but I saved it just in case. thanks for the link.

Blog Entries
    Bright and beautiful, love it! :D :D :D

That is just beautiful. If you ever get sick of it, I know where you can send it. 8)

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous colors. I'm eager to try this method of Piecelique. I watched her tute last night. It looks pretty easy. Now, all I need to do is find the glue and the tip! I probably should just order the tip from her and look for the glue at JoAnn's or Michael?

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Gorgeous colors. I'm eager to try this method of Piecelique. I watched her tute last night. It looks pretty easy. Now, all I need to do is find the glue and the tip! I probably should just order the tip from her and look for the glue at JoAnn's or Michael?
    I bought Elmer's school glue at Walmart and didn't bother with a special tip. I found if I was just a bit careful it was quite easy to get a fine bead of glue just using the tip on the bottle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I bought Elmer's school glue at Walmart and didn't bother with a special tip. I found if I was just a bit careful it was quite easy to get a fine bead of glue just using the tip on the bottle.
    Thanks!

Butterflywing, I started with a 9" square and the circle is 5" in diameter. After the blocks were sewn, I trimmed the blocks to 8.5" after marking the center of the circle to make sure it was centered in the block.
    I love your quilt. Another thing the lady taught us, was, place the circles off center & then put another one overlapping the first one & also fussy cutting some print. For instance kids print is very cute, or other prints like flowers. You can just let your imagination run wild. You can also put a wonky border on each block.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
    I love your quilt. Another thing the lady taught us, was, place the circles off center & then put another one overlapping the first one & also fussy cutting some print. For instance kids print is very cute, or other prints like flowers. You can just let your imagination run wild. You can also put a wonky border on each block.
    Great ideas, thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast